What's the first book that you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sleepydumpling
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sleepydumpling »

Ahhh Sweet Valley High! And those romance series... I loved all of those as a kid.

What about books like the Pippi Longstocking ones, or Anne of Green Gables?
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

:lol: Think mine was probably an Enid Blyton (though considered very controversial now - not so much then!!!) one - something like 'The Magic Faraway Tree' or 'The Magic Wishing Chair' ......ah, happy memories.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I loved the Enid Blyton "Naughtiest Girl" books. I soooo wanted to be her!

notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

Some other of my favorite books when I was really little were The Little Fur Family by Margaret Wise Brown and these books that I call "Patrick" books. I can't think of the author of them right now, but I loved them. Some of the titles were Patrick Buys a Coat, Patrick Eats His Dinner, Patrick Takes a Bath, and Patrick and Ted at the beach. I always asked my mom to read them to me.

Then when I was a little older I read Sweet Valley Kids and the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series. Oh, and Goosebumps.

When I was a little older I read Sweet Valley Twins. I never really got into Sweet Valley High though. I love how many Sweet Valley series there are. I can't believe all of them, it's crazy. When I worked at the library a few years ago, I think I counted 6 Sweet Valley series.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Was the naughtiest girl Amelia Jane??? Can't rememeber - but she was definately a naughty girl!!!!
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

[email protected] wrote:Was the naughtiest girl Amelia Jane??? Can't rememeber - but she was definately a naughty girl!!!!
I think that was her name. It's been many, many years since I read those!

Linda

Post by Linda »

it wasn't the first book i read but one of the early ones that i loved was Mr. Poppers Penguins, and also The Phantom Tollbooth. both were so good, but im afraid to even look at them now because i know they will be less magical and seem totally different since i'm older. sad.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
awelker

Post by awelker »

i remember Mr. Popper's Penguins but i've never read Phantom Tollbooth. I can remember reading Dear Mr. Henshaw, Julie of Wolves and Sign of the Beaver.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Linda

Post by Linda »

ha yea Sign of the Beaver! i read that in like second grade! good times.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I had to wipe the dust and cobwebs off of this one but it looks like a fun one. Other than comic books I think the first serious books I read were the OZ books, Freddie the Pig, the Walt Disney and Popeye comics that they put into book form in the late 1940's, Dr. Dolittle, the Uncle Wiggily books, Hopalong Cassidy, Treasure Island, and the Tom Corbett Space Cadet books. I still read the Tom Corbett books once in a while, there good at any age.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Bookworm2011

Post by Bookworm2011 »

My memory from that far back isn't the greatest, I know I started reading at a really young age. I feel like it was a Dr. Seuss book or even a Mercer Meyer book (loved those when I was young!)
ferretbait

Post by ferretbait »

Dr. Suess it was Hop On Pop and some others that he made
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Dragonflytears

Post by Dragonflytears »

I can't really remember the first book I actually read, but I know some of my favourite childhood books were:

the Wheels on the Bus
I Love You Forever - xoxox still one of my favs I read to my kids and makes me cry
and anything and everything Dr. Suess
~ “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” ~ Stephen King

Join us on facebook: bookoutletcom
Mkeyth

Post by Mkeyth »

I don't remember exactly, but it was some story of Grimm's brothers. I remembered that I was 6 and I was scared.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Probably 'My First ABC Book' or some such title .... I really can't remember
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.