What's the first book that you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Re: What's the first book that you read?

Post by StephenKingman »

I think one of the first books i ever read was The Twits by that genius Roald Dahl, followed by The Witches. They were easy for a kid to read as the text was broken up with these mad and witty pictures describing the story.
You only live once.....so live!
Brigante1981

Post by Brigante1981 »

I was never a big reader as a kid. Only got through books a t school. All the Roald Dahl books are the ones that stick in the memory - loved Matilda and the BFG. I was put off reading alone after a failed attempt at The Hobbit when I was about 11 or 12. That stopped me until my early twenties when I read The Da Vinci Code. It really did kick start my enthusiasm for reading.
BookBuddy

Post by BookBuddy »

LoveHatesYou wrote:I still mispronounce words I a know the meaning of. I learned all of my "impressive words" through books. A major plus in the essay writing world- a downfall in the debate world. I used to write all my debates first,a nd then got to the pronunciation key of the dictionatry and spell them phonetically in ( ) next to the words for my speeches, just to be sure. Once you make that mistake once.... Smart kids are merciless...

My fiance loves to call me on that now. It brings him joy because I'm a grammar Nazi. And then I kick him. We love each other.

Wow I tried to remember and couldn't it has to be a children's book but I can't remember which... :-£
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

I'm embarrassed to say I cannot remember. I know it was a child's book. My first adult type book was a biography of Eisenhower. I was intimidated by it but my mother convinced me I could read it. It was SO BIG, it had over 200 pages! :D

Not sure why I am thinking of this but I recall reading Little Golden Books to my daughter and remember the day (with a lot of satisfaction) when we bought a new one and she said she wanted to read it herself. She was in the first grade.

She still reads today at age 26. Picture me beaming with pride that I raised another reader.
Best regards, Rick
My worst day reading a book is better than my best day doing anything else.
Tattered Pages

Post by Tattered Pages »

Wow! That question makes you think. The first chapter book that I read on my own (at least the one that I remember) was James and the Giant Peach, followed closely by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. To this day I still have very fond memories of both of those books.

Peter
Tattered Pages Book Shop
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I was not a very good student in school, but the one thing I did right was be a good reader. I remember reading a book about a crab in first grade, but can't remember the title. I remember reading Winnie the Pooh a bit later.
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

Yogayog by Rabindranath Tagore
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
Leta

Post by Leta »

Obviously there were many children's books that I read as a child...but the first "adult" book that I read was "To Kill a Mockingbird" when I was 11. It was an amazing book then....and is still. I've read it again over the years a couple of times...and it's interesting...I always notice something that I didn't notice before.
Smblomker
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Favorite Book: so far all of the house of night series
Currently Reading: beautiful creatures
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by Smblomker »

I think the first book I ever read was a comic book called spiderman. Partly because of the pictures in it.
When a good book captures me then, I know I've found happiness.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

The first book I remember reading was an old, old, book of stories. Dicks cat, Puss in Boots, Hans Brinkers skates, one about a queer old man and his queer old wife who lived in a queer old house. One was a poem about a woman and her kid who was looking out a window watching for her husbands ship to come in. I liked that book, it had some really cool pictures in it.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

My first book I ever read by myself was Goodnight Moon. My second was Amelia Bedelia. Weird that I know that I know. :oops:

My first ever chapter book was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in second grade. :lol: :mrgreen:
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

One I thought of yesterday was Little Black Sambo. The part where the tigers ran around a tree and turned into butter always made me hungry for pancakes. :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
fav_author_id: 25750

Post by pa3de8 »

Wow... Wish I could remember back that far. Think it might have been The Outsiders. I wasn't a big reader until after I got out of school and once I did get out, you can't stop me from reading!

Scott B.
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

well apart from the Sam I Am books and the Biff and Chip adventures with the magic key (oh that brings back really good memories) i think it was Roald Dahl first, then i moved on to Jaqueline Wilson at which point around 11 i moved on to more adult type book.
Mrs_Britt
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Favorite Book: Green Rider
Currently Reading: Tarnsman of Gor
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Mrs_Britt »

Green Rider by Kristen Britain
Mrs. Britt (pretty girl)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”