Do you personally like getting suggestions for books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2498

Do you personally like getting suggestions for books?

Post by love_aud »

I do a lot of the time, but I know a few people who dislike it a lot.
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

I don't mind, it can save a lot of time when someone who knows you tells you that you wouldn't like a particular book, but most of the time I like to make my own mind up. Everyones different right? :D
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

I don't mind having a book recommended to me. I've discovered great authors through the recommendations of other people and I know I may never have found those little gems otherwise. I also suggest a lot of books to people I know well and I know what books they read. Although I can admit I get a tad carried away when I keep hounding them with 'Have you read it yet?' My sister told me the other day that she would get to it when she gets to it (although maybe not as politely) :oops:
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

For me it's one of the great joys of life .... I love getting recommendations & being introduced to an a brilliant author or book I might have missed out on otherwise. Also I love hearing an opinion on a book I recommended even a negative one.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
bookworm200+

Post by bookworm200+ »

I love getting suggestions for books by people who know me and the types of books that I read. A few of my favourite books are books that have been suggested to me by others.
"Books and reading are the very foundations of life itself." ~ bookworm200+
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I greatly prefer getting suggestions for books as opposed to just scrolling though webpages/shelves of books and trying to pick one out myself simply by the cover and the blurb.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

Ant wrote:I don't mind, it can save a lot of time when someone who knows you tells you that you wouldn't like a particular book, but most of the time I like to make my own mind up. Everyones different right? :D
I agree
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

There are so many books out there that I love getting tips and suggestions on what to read. Especially when you have very similar tastes with the people who are recommending new books or authors(Fran and Maud take a bow).
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Smblomker
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Favorite Book: so far all of the house of night series
Currently Reading: beautiful creatures
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by Smblomker »

I don't mind people telling me about a book to read. Sometimes their ideas of books are good ones and sometimes their not. I buy my own books because I write what I read on my blog. I think that giving people new ideas for reading is a good thing. When it comes to reading we all have different tastes.
When a good book captures me then, I know I've found happiness.
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

Absolutely. Suggest away.
"The world is a vampire/sent to drain/secret destroyers hold you up to the flames/And what do I get for my pains?/Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game."
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I am a sucker for a good book recommendation. Maybe that is why I have 48 books on my to read list...
A24

Post by A24 »

bookworm200+ wrote:I love getting suggestions for books by people who know me and the types of books that I read. A few of my favourite books are books that have been suggested to me by others.
I totally agree! I will usually read something suggested by friends who know what I like to read. It's fun discussing our thoughts on the same books read and sometimes there are interesting differences of opinions. I will also read books recommended by others on this forum in hopes of a great new author/book I never would've tried. Too many books, not enough time!!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

It would be safe to say I like getting book suggestions. I will follow up the majority of them but often life's little annoyance get in the way and one or two slip through the net. Occasionally a friend will make a suggestion which takes me by surprise and the book turns out to be a winner.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
RosarioPozzi

Post by RosarioPozzi »

If it is something I have to discuss then i don't mind reading a suggested book. But i prefer to suggest books.

I love finding an amzing book. I am definately quite picky so I would really have to know that person knew what I liked.
Christine80
Currently Reading: A Storm Of Swords

Post by Christine80 »

I do like getting suggestions but what I don't like is if people get mad because you don't take their suggestion. They will bug you everyday......have you read it? have you read it?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”