Do you personally like getting suggestions for books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Re: Do you personally like getting suggestions for books?

Post by ipekbunsal »

Not really. But I like suggesting.
Niahahahaaha!
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Dirco
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dirco.html

Post by Dirco »

I would love suggestions, I love mysteries, medieval, horror, and thriller books.
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

I am usually quite bad when choosing new books for myself because I'm really indecisive, so I like it when I'm recommended something because then I know that it's going to be good and I've got someone to talk about it with!
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

If the person knows my general tastes.
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
fav_author_id: 4515

Post by LoremasterTappa »

If I know the person knows the genre/style I like, I love getting suggestions. I also enjoy giving suggestions of similar books if I know the author that someone likes.
"Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflected all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected on the dark sea of time.”
― Greg Weisman
Flu2reader
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flu2reader.html

Post by Flu2reader »

i love to get suggestions for books - i am what you might call "book easy" meaning if the book talks nice to me i will give it a go even if it is not something that i normally read or would think to read. so i love hearing about something that someone else likes (or dislikes for that matter) even if my book list hates me for it. i do hate suggesting books - giving a review is awesome because you just put out everything that you are thinking or feeling. but actually suggesting a book to someone means "hey i think YOU should read this because....." super personal and pretty stressful ;)
eduroux
Favorite Author: Raymond E.Feist
Favorite Book: The Serpentwar Saga
Currently Reading: Railsea by China Mieville
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eduroux.html

Post by eduroux »

I love getting suggestions from people who have the same interest in books as me. Sci-fi, fantasy and thriller....

I have no idea why but I tend to stay away from books that "everyone" is reading... I think it's because I like to find the amazing books all on my own... I have no idea why.

Also movies that were made from books... I also stay away from them. Even though I know that the books are always better! See I haven't read any of the Hunger Games because I've seen the movie... But! I've read The Host before I watched the movie and i must admit that was a great experience just because I could say "hey... That wasn't in the book!"

But I do love suggestions from readers who read similar genres to me.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I definitely like getting done suggestions. So far any I have been given have been great. I hot some suggestions from these forums the other night. Now I have so many I don't know where to start!!
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

I don't really care for it, as my friends and family have very different tastes in books. Also, I like just browsing through books; picking out the books I want gives me so much anticipatory pleasure!
nikkavb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkavb.html

Post by nikkavb »

Yes, I like getting suggestions especially from those I have similar taste with. Then I could form my own opinions about it. I had great experience so far reading books that are suggested to me.
r_parker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-parker.html

Post by r_parker »

I love book suggestions - gives insight into what people think about you, what they think you'll like... but in the end it's kind of a toss up whether I actually like it.
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Most of the people who make reading suggestions know the type of books that I Read so generally they are good recommendation.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Absolutely. I have discovered many outstanding books in that fashion.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I really would not mind getting suggestions for books. Personally, I take a long time to make a choice as to what to read, so having someone suggest a specific book they think I would like, would really help me. I also think this is a great way in discovering great books that I would have otherwise most likely overlooked.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

I really like getting suggestions for books, narrows down the process of what to buy/read next!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”