Should An Author Share Their Own Experiences?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Denv12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Should An Author Share Their Own Experiences?

Post by Denv12 »

Hi.

I'm writing a dating advice book. What I would like to know is,should an author give some examples of their own experiences? Do readers like reading examples of an author's experiences? Is it a good idea or not?

Thanks.
binghams04
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by binghams04 »

I enjoy reading about personal experiences but I don't like when it takes up lots of the book. I feel it is good to share your own experiences, as long as, it is a small part of the whole.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

If it helps build your narrative it's effective. Connecting with the reader on a personal level can build positive rapport.
Spencer Mack
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

I think author's experiences in non-fiction books can be excellent when used well. Just like with any tool in writing, it is not something you want to do too much of. That being said, personal experience of the author can help to validate that you know what you're talking about, can help the reader connect to both the author and the subject matter on a personal level, and can help to illustrate a point.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Any self-help or informational book of this type is filled with antidotal examples. Your personal experiences are probably what led you to write the book anyway, so some of the examples can be personal.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Well, I'd say that if you actually experienced the thing you are going to talk about your comments are validated and worthy of citation as real-life examples of the points you wish to make. As far as how they are presented: you don't have to say that they are from personal experience. You can simply cite them as examples.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I think they should to encourage the newbies in writing.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

Denv12 wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 15:08 Hi.

I'm writing a dating advice book. What I would like to know is,should an author give some examples of their own experiences? Do readers like reading examples of an author's experiences? Is it a good idea or not?

Thanks.
I think it could help bring the advice you're trying to give into a more concrete realm. It might also give some solid substantiation to what you're saying. just be careful to not overdo it.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Yeah sure so that others can learn from their experience.
Azariah Scott
Favorite Author: Azariah Scott
fav_author_id: 177689

Post by Azariah Scott »

binghams04 wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 16:06 I enjoy reading about personal experiences but I don't like when it takes up lots of the book. I feel it is good to share your own experiences, as long as, it is a small part of the whole.
I agree with this.

Just be careful not to lecture an idea. I watch videos on charisma and how to do certain things and the guy that does the videos shares a lot of his personal experiences and it works because he shares the positive and the negative. He isn't the focus because he shares what he has found that other people have done that worked and didn't work.

I think personal experiences are good to share in moderation and with balance.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

It is of course a good idea. Authors can share their own experiences so that readers will feel more connected and people will get to know real life examples.
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

EllieLieberman wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 04:27 I think author's experiences in non-fiction books can be excellent when used well. Just like with any tool in writing, it is not something you want to do too much of. That being said, personal experience of the author can help to validate that you know what you're talking about, can help the reader connect to both the author and the subject matter on a personal level, and can help to illustrate a point.
Agreed. I'd say do it because it can emphasize your expertise. But you should do so only moderately because your readers may take your book the wrong way. For example, it may seem too one-sided, resulting in your readers being unable to relate with what you write.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”