What is the reason why you read a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 25750

Re: What is the reason why you read a book?

Post by pa3de8 »

Depends on the topic and genre of the book. When it's fiction I read to escape the boredom. Non-fiction is to broaden my small mind...lol.

Scott B.
s_zahner

Post by s_zahner »

I read because it lets me escape my life. I read because then I know something that my husband dosent. I read because its cheaper then therapy and safer then a affair...
book_maniac_gotscold

Post by book_maniac_gotscold »

I donno why i read but i cant stop.I can read and read non stop and end up not doing my homework and chores and get scold by my mom.Sometimes i think i got a syndrome or smthg.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

I can relate to reading non-stop. If a book is interesting enough, I can read for the entire afternoon. Sometimes I read for the entire day, then I quick quick clean up my home, cook for my children and go back to reading.
book_maniac_gotscold

Post by book_maniac_gotscold »

anyone bookcrossing?
Norma J. Rose

Post by Norma J. Rose »

It makes me enter a whole different world.
When I'm reading, it's as if I'm not in the world of now for those couple of hours.
I experience new stuff with each character, I grow new things in my personality, I relate to the situations even though I may not have been in some of them, I get a new perspectives on some things in life and the whole outlook on life itself, I can relate to a charater and find myself in them in a book (sometimes even, in one book I find parts of me in each character)... And it relaxes me, enriches me and I find it enjoying.
Books are my getaway, my escape, my comfort, my understanding, my inspiration, my support... And my best friend, a dear member of my family. :)
QTTg

Post by QTTg »

I like reading
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

QTTg wrote:I like reading
Succinct ... well said :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I generally read for knowledge and entertainment. When I was younger I hated the history books in school because they were full of facts and dates to be memorized. Now that I'm older I've read a number of books set in different times and places and they've made it so I can finally make sense of some of the history I learned from those boring school books. Its much more interesting to get to know the real people and how they were feeling and why they did the things they did at the time the historical events were taking place.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
x1f4j8k9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

Depends on the type of book. Firstly, just because I love reading. But also because I love learning, if that's the focus of the book, and just to read a good story.
Felisari
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: The Eight - Katerine Neville
Currently Reading: Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Felisari »

I read all genres books. But to decide my next reading, I go to the library and checking the unread ones, I take what I want to read most. :)
juicyfruitsxoxo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juicyfruitsxoxo.html

Post by juicyfruitsxoxo »

A few reasons why I read

1 To get lost and escape reality for a while
2 To get an idea of how the book is developed such as plot, character(s), setting, etc.
3 To gain knowledge
4 To learn skills that will help me become a better writer :)
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

It's my hobby
Bella_0772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-0772.html

Post by Bella_0772 »

Enjoyment, entertainment, relaxation.
jenrobot2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenrobot2.html

Post by jenrobot2 »

Because holding a book is holding every possibility in your hand and more. People say numbers are infinite but i think books are too. Or at least words. There's the element of escape, i suppose, but there's also something else when it comes to reading books. If someone presents you with a free ticket to Disneyland or France, why wouldn't you take it? If someone offers you the chance to be a wizard and go to a school for Witchcraft and Wizardry, wouldn't you go? You can call it escapism, but it's more than that to me. Reading books, they've become apart of me. My memories and experiences are comprised of real life experiences and these worlds that i have gone to. When i've been timid or scared i tell myself to be brave like Triss from Divergent or Keladry of Mindelan who became a lady knight and stood strong in the face of bullying, attacks and slanders. When i need to be strong i think of people like Sorcha who stayed silent for seven years while sewing shirts for her swan brothers made out of a thorny plant that caused her hands to crack, bleed and blister yet she did not make a sound. When i feel lonely i visit my friends in books who may also be lonely but we can be lonely together. Books are real to me. Not real objects, but real people and places but most importantly because when i read i feel REAL feelings.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”