Are you a quitter?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Re:

Post by pretzelsnow »

Bookworm2011 wrote:I am definitely one of the"I've started so I finish" I always have some hope that the book may get better in the end. If I really don't like a book it takes me a lot longer but I always have to finish so I won't be wondering how it ended.
That's practically descripes me.Yesterday I read this really boring history novel but I had to know what happened so I just skipped to the last few pages.But normally I am a always total start to finish reader just because that's me and my reading personality. :lol:
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

I tend to finish a book if I've started it. I'm an optimist and hope that the book will somehow improve by the end. There has occasionally been a book that I just could not bear to finish. I had to move on to something more engaging.
Where will you be in a year?
dhaines429
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dhaines429 »

I'm no quitter. I have read some terrible books because I have started them. Even when I discover fairly early on that the book probably isn't going to be enjoyable I still slog through it to the end. I just have to see it through after I start. I have even tried to give up on one only to return later on to finish it so that I have the closure that I need.
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

If it gets REALLY uncomfortable, then I do throw in the towel. But I actually read most of my books through...the ones I like and the ones I can tolerate, at least.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
Munch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munch.html

Post by Munch »

Maud Fitch wrote:Not a quitter, more of a skipper.
I don't do it when reading good books but I've been known to skip chunks of disagreeable books.
That's exactly what I do. I feel uncomfortable with not knowing how a book I started ended.

However before skipping i normally try reading another book with it instead of reading it straight through if that doesn't work I skip.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I'm a quitter and I know it in my heart and soul. If I don't like the book I'm reading, I'll quit right away without a second thought. I'm ashamed.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Nope, in my whole life, I've never quit anyt
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
gmohrer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gmohrer.html

Post by gmohrer »

I don't usually quit on a book, but if its getting to the part were its so terrible that I can't even read it then I would quit. But that doesn't usually happen
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

It really depends, if the book is so boring I find myself reading a paragraph before putting it down (it has happened) sometimes I just stop. But that's only if I've borrowed it from a library, if it's mine there's no excuse not to read it.
malloryw09
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malloryw09.html

Post by malloryw09 »

I have an obnoxious compulsive NEED to finish any and every book that I start, regardless of how I feel about it. I also feel the same compulsion to finish any series I start. I literally cannot stop thinking about the book or series until it's finished!
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I am guilty. I never thought I would ever be a quitter. However, I was reading this one book recently and it moved so slowly I just had to stop reading it. I really tried to finish the book; I was half way into it, I still didn't care about any of the characters so I had to put it down. That hasn't happened in a very long time to me. I just felt like reading something that I could enjoy. I just hate reading a book when it becomes such a chore to read it.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
alyssaemerson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssaemerson.html

Post by alyssaemerson »

If I don't like it when I get about 1/4 of the way done I will sometimes quit. However, I have OCD and usually make myself finish it so that I don't have anything unfinished.
DalekPrideParade
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalekprideparade.html

Post by DalekPrideParade »

I try really hard not to quit books once I have started reading them. But sometimes I have to quit, otherwise I get a library fine.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I have to finish them, unless the reason I want to stop is a very serious one.

If a book just, quite simply, sucks, I will keep plodding along, complaining all the while. I will only really give up if it's extremely offensive or uncomfortable to read, and that happens pretty rarely (I can only think of a couple of books this ever happened with).
3chicnP wrote:I'm a quitter and I know it in my heart and soul. If I don't like the book I'm reading, I'll quit right away without a second thought. I'm ashamed.
Haaa I wish I could be like this. Nothing to be ashamed about! You have no idea how many junky books I have finished, cursing myself at every page.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

I never quit the book. However, I have quit a series. If the first book is bad and I had to suffer through it, why should I abuse myself with the sequels.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”