Are you a quitter?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Are you a quitter?

Post by Manang Muyang »

I normally read every book to the very end. I usually pick books that are bestsellers so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd reason, "How could it have fooled so many if it was a dud?" But there have been disappointments too.
gregs317
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I'm not a quitter, in general. However, I did stop reading a book recently, after the first chapter. I never expected that the viewpoint would be that of a young child. For example, one sentence might be"I putted my toy on my bed and sitted there with mommy". I don't know why but it was disturbing to me, even a little upsetting. So I needed to quit that one.

I usually don't have this problem, because I am very picky about which books I will read or not.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I'm a quitter but I'm also cheap so if it's an expensive book I'll last longer...and usually regret it.

How quickly I quit depends on the reason. One book I recall I quit in the first ten pages. It was so disgustingly violent that when the door opened and the naked men came in to rape the crucified woman I tossed it.

If there are too many typos I can give up and toss the book and even fewer instances where the author uses the wrong word will send me off. When it's obviously a wrong word you end up with a word game, trying to guess the right word, instead of a book to read.

And, factual errors turn me off. A book set in the rugged mountains of Kansas would do it. Or soldiers in WWII going to a base in an Army DC-3. Or, the detective who pulls his .38 revolver and quietly clicks off the safety. I get disgusted and toss those books, too.

I don't like people who ring my doorbell and disturb my reading to peddle their religion. I don't like authors who disturb my reading peddling their religion, their politics, their environmental hysteria, or pretty much anything people proselytize. I just dumped a book where the detective spent four or five pages explaining he reads a chapter of the Bible each day and giving an example of how one case was solved because of insight he got from his Bible. That did it.

-
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I just cannot quit a book! I think there has only been two times where I stopped reading a book because I didn't like it. I don't actually think it is a good thing, because I could stop and read something more enjoyable, and there is so many books out there to read, why waste your time with a bad one? But still, I cant stop!
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

In general, I dont hesitate to quit things if I dislike the beginning. For example, I dont think I finished Hunger Games fully or Icarus Hunt and some other ones. A lot of books aren't my cup of tea.

I realized that when I finished The Book Thief at a friend's suggestion and hated it. Never again.

I do the same for movies and games. For example, I quit Guardians of the Galaxy at the beginning since it put me off so much.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

YES!!
Breska X

Post by Breska X »

Yes, I am a quitter. I have at least four books that I know of that are book marked in case I decide to finish the agonizing, fully detailed, drawn out story. That's another question I'd like to inquire: why are some authors/writers so detailed with their work? I understand we need a visual, but why so detailed AND drawn out?.?
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I always do my best to finish a book. However if I am about three quarters of the way through and I am still struggling I will finally call it quits. I give it that long out of respect for the author and give it a chance to redeem itself. I make sure I let people know what went wrong for me so I can save them before they start.
Ivan L
Currently Reading: Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-l.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00OTWPS52

Post by Ivan L »

Ehhhhhh... Yes.

If I'm 100 pages in or less and I don't like the book I stop reading, but if I'm a good ways in I keep going.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I can' say I am...but I have abandoned many books in the past. I usually endure fora long while before I finally give up or sometimes, I skip many things
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

Over time, I have decided not every book I start to read is worth finishing. Which has made me more selective about my book choices. I've struggled through some to discuss with friends, or from sheer stubbornness. My personal turning point has become 50 pages, if I'm not invested in the story or characters by that point I'm done. Although I do have books I've abandoned half read, that years later I picked back up and devoured every word in short order.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I am not a quitter and never will I be. While reading, when I come across 99 boring pages, the one page that was interesting keeps me reading on to the end.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

I do quit sometimes, if the book isn't as good as I expected it to be. Sometimes, the book gets great reviews on Amazon or Goodreads and I get excited and think I found a great new book to enjoy.

But if I get it home and the text is too thick, or if the author's writing style is different than what I thought it would be, I have no qualms about quitting. And returning it as well, if possible.

I refuse to suffer through reading a book that I can't enjoy. I just won't do it period.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

Honestly, it depends on why I'm reading a book. For instance, if it's for review purposes or for school purposes, I have no choice but to read through! If it's on my own time, I try my best to push through, but if the book sits around for a while... then I don't feel guilty moving on to a new book!
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

I almost never quit a book, whether it makes me uncomfortable or it is simply horribly written. One book I am guilty of quitting, however, is Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson. I just could not get into it more than a couple chapters, which is so sad because I love the Reckoners trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”