Best way to read? Laying down? Sitting Up?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jennader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennader.html

Re: Best way to read? Laying down? Sitting Up?

Post by jennader »

Hi Nikos,

I suffer from the same issues regarding becoming tired. I have discovered a few remedies that work well for me; perhaps they will be useful for you.

* I attempt to read on my couch, leaning on pillows comfortably. This way, I am neither laying down nor sitting up in an awful office chair. Too, I read with the light of the sun shining down on my book so the light brightens the page, but does not bother my eyes.

For long periods of time, I would recommend getting up every so often, making sure your back is supported, and making sure your light is good.

If you are forced to sit at a desk...well, this can be the worst, but leaning forward _may_ help...

Jen
bekahh91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bekahh91.html

Post by bekahh91 »

Sitting down. But I've got to be comfortable too.
pandatoco

Post by pandatoco »

For me I like reading mostly anywhere (Car, table, etc) However if I'm going to read in bed, I'd say definitely laying down!
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

I almost always read sitting up, I just find it much more comfortable!
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

I prefer to read sitting on a couch, all bundled up and cozy! But usually I actually just read laying down in bed. And then I get tired. So I sit up. And then I get agitated from sitting, so I lay down again. It's a vicious cycle.
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods
RobertManchester
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robertmanchester.html

Post by RobertManchester »

Sitting ups best for me
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

I always want to read whilst lead down but your arms get tired if you hold the book above your head, and you have to keep switching sides if you lean your book on the pillow/next to your head. I usually sit upright on a comfy sofa/chair or prop myself up on my bed so I'm not fully upright but not horizontal either.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I read either laying on the couch or in bed most of the time but can read sitting up as well. Even outside I read in a lounger that is midway between sitting and lying.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

In a very reclined beach chair. Or curled up against a wall with the book on my knees. Preferably outside the house, because I get distracted crazy easily :/
kdjones2014

Post by kdjones2014 »

I love reading laying down but I have definitely had moments where laying down reading has led me to sleep.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I can usually read both laying down and sitting up, as long as it is on something comfortable like a bed or a couch. I switch often between the two because when I'm sitting for a long time, my legs start to fall asleep and my neck starts to hurt. So then I move on to lying down until I get tired and need to sit up again. I guess I really move around a lot while reading. lol :oops:
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I like either way, but I guess I prefer lying down. I am so glad a Kindle was invented so now I do not have to have a light on when I read.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I think both ways are good, just depends on the mood i'm in. Try reading in the bath tub!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
kairkyn

Post by kairkyn »

I can't read for long sitting up or lying down. I get so uncomfortable. I have to recline somewhere in the middle of laying down or sitting up, with my legs propped up and resting on a pillow or blanket and I also prop the book and my arms up with pillows or blankets. I have to be very comfy when I read.
Pandanian101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pandanian101.html

Post by Pandanian101 »

Reading on your bed face down with a pillow folded in half under your face and the book in front of you.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”