Best way to read? Laying down? Sitting Up?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Atheinne
Bookshelf Size: 32

Re: Best way to read? Laying down? Sitting Up?

Post by Atheinne »

I do both lol when I feel like I've had too much of one of those positions, I opt for the other one. Sometimes I stand up while reading because lying down or sitting up just doesn't do it haha
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I love my sofa and pillows I can put behind my back or lay like a tower against the sofa arm so I can kind of lean on it all. And leather armchair that is just soft enough to be cozy and firm enough to support the back.
But the best reading place would be outside in a nice weather in some swing type of contraption where there is enough shade on the book so the eyes can rest from brightness, but nicely warm with fresh grass smell in the air and this quiet humming background of summer happiness.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Read somewhere that cranking your neck to read while sitting can really do damage... but it doesn't stop me!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I read best when I lie on a surface: a table, a desk or anything really. I can't concentrate very well if I have to constantly adjust my position, which is why I don't particularly like to read in bed.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

I can read anywhere but my perfect place is cuddled in in bed. It's my favorite spot.
aaaahhhhh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aaaahhhhh »

Hmmm... I always end up dropping the book on my face if I'm lying down. Haha, I like sitting or maybe at a slight incline? I recently created a reading nook in my room to read all of my print books that are hard to find all over the house. It is a little sofa with pillows and blankets and good lighting. Good place to read,
(Sitting, the sofa is to short to lie down on). Anyways... I read everywhere. In the car on my phone, on my bed, on planes, on trains, in school when I'm supposed to be working, in class, outside, and even on rooftops. I used to climb on my playhouse roof as a kid to read, (Very short roof, not enough to fall and hurt myself) but I had a big family and it was the only place I could be alone enough to read.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I read while lying in bed either on my stomach or on my side. It works for me. When I tire I just switch sides.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

It depends on where I'm at. In school, I read sitting up. At home, I am usually cuddling up in bed.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I'm trying to get out of the habit of reading in bed so I'm a firm believer in sitting down to read.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by mnmueller »

I have some back problems, so sitting up or laying on my side seem to work best for me, but I often have to change positions. I can't lay flat on my back at all. I have read while walking, but I prefer audiobooks if I'm going to be moving around.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Sitting in a comfy chair is my favorite. I especially love sitting outside in one of my porch chairs while I read.
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

Camille Turner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 15:57 Sitting in a comfy chair is my favorite. I especially love sitting outside in one of my porch chairs while I read.
I love reading outside! Especially during the summer on the beach! Or during a sunny day in the park!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

GabbiV wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 16:23
Camille Turner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 15:57 Sitting in a comfy chair is my favorite. I especially love sitting outside in one of my porch chairs while I read.
I love reading outside! Especially during the summer on the beach! Or during a sunny day in the park!
It is truly the best!! You're so right — reading on the beach or in the park is heavenly! I am so lucky because I live in Colombia where there are no seasons so outside reading is always possible.
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

Camille Turner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 16:25
It is truly the best!! You're so right — reading on the beach or in the park is heavenly! I am so lucky because I live in Colombia where there are no seasons so outside reading is always possible.
Ah that's great, I'm jealous! I live in New York, so I'm cooped up inside for the winter, but I do get to cuddle up with the fire going.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

GabbiV wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 16:44
Camille Turner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 16:25

Ah that's great, I'm jealous! I live in New York, so I'm cooped up inside for the winter, but I do get to cuddle up with the fire going.
A book, warm fire and hot tea is perfect too!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”