How to read 'heavy' books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
UniversalSet
Bookshelf Size: 0

How to read 'heavy' books?

Post by UniversalSet »

Hello everybody! How read heavy books like 'Origin of Spices', Adam Smith, Plato (philosophy, history, engineering, mathematics books?) It worthless to read like novel, but how else? Take notes? But how? Im 'beginner' in reading, and would like listen any your advice.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Most people would disapprove of this but if I were a new reader, I would go for the simplified versions of the books. Thats what I used to do when I was given assignments involving heavy books.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Heavy books take a lot of time, slow reading, short stints, and a lot of contemplation about what you just read.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

Maybe if you concentrate more and have a schedule to read a certain amount of pages each day. That way the reading can become a habit.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Why are you trying to read "heavy" books if you don't enjoy them? Life is too short.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Cher432 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 06:18 Most people would disapprove of this but if I were a new reader, I would go for the simplified versions of the books. Thats what I used to do when I was given assignments involving heavy books.
I agree with you. Sometimes it is better to read a critique or a book ABOUT the book rather than attempting to read from the original source.

Possibly of interest ..... There is a branch of the website Spark Notes which is called "No Fear Shakespeare" (Google it) which "translates" the original Shakespeare into everyday modern language. It is quite useful. I pride myself on believing that I am pretty good at interpreting Shakespeare but I recently found that I was wrong in one instance and probably in many more.

For example: I learned in the No Fear Shakespeare translation that at the end of the play, Midsummer Night Dream Puck says, "Give me your hand if we be friends and Robin shall restore amends." I always thought Puck was asking to shake our hand in saying goodbye, instead he is addressing the audience at the play through "the fourth window" and asking for applause ("...give us your hand") for the play, and if the play wasn't good enough, if still applauded, Robin (Shakespeare talking through Puck) will "restore amends" (write a better one in the future to repay the debt of the applause).

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ChillyBookworm
Currently Reading: Dangerous Liaisons
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ChillyBookworm »

I've also wondered this - I've got The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene on my bookshelf waiting to be read but it's very heavy with physics (and I even did an astrophysics degree!), and takes a lot of effort to stay focused and absorb what it's telling you. I think maybe the best way is to take it slow, maybe have another book on the go at the same time that is much lighter and easier to read, so that you can switch back and forth?
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

UniversalSet wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 12:52 Hello everybody! How read heavy books like 'Origin of Spices', Adam Smith, Plato (philosophy, history, engineering, mathematics books?) It worthless to read like novel, but how else? Take notes? But how? Im 'beginner' in reading, and would like listen any your advice.
I like to read "heavy" books (history, economics, psychology), but this is simply because I like history, economics and psychology. If you like some kind of science, then reading "heavy" books on this science will be very easy for you.
However, if I had to read a book about engineering, I would read it with difficulty. Therefore, you must first choose which science you like and start reading books on this science. For example, if you like biology, then you can start with "Origin of Spices", ets.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I've always been reading and yet have a hard time going through certain books. so don't feel bad about that! For example, I recently struggled with Simone de Beauvoir's "the second sex". The book is close to 1,000 pages, so I decided to take plenty of time to go through it as I continued reading other books alongside it. I gave myself a year and set a number of pages/chapters that I'd read each week. So my advice is:
- don't just read that one 'heavy' book. read it alongside books that are more light hearted.
- do a weekly or monthly plan about how many pages or chapters you're going to read each time, and in how long you want to finish the book. keep colorful sticky notes with timestamps/deadlines in between the pages.
- for each section of the book, take notes, in your own words, of the key takeaways. share them on your social media or with your friends, and have discussions about them.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

If I'm reading a 'heavy' book I will normally follow it with a much shorter, light-hearted read or be listening to a fun audiobook at the same time
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

With my eyes.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

UniversalSet wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 12:52 Hello everybody! How read heavy books like 'Origin of Spices', Adam Smith, Plato (philosophy, history, engineering, mathematics books?) It worthless to read like novel, but how else? Take notes? But how? Im 'beginner' in reading, and would like listen any your advice.
If you really want to understand them, I would say you should take as much time as you want.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I mostly read heavy books by reading through a couple of chapters then I will take a break before continuing.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Heavy books are sometimes difficult to read. but reading on different small phases would definitely help you in reading it.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I always try to read a book as if it were a story the first time around because in the case the writer intended it to be a story, then I will be more likely to pick up on those elements. This also helps your mind to become familiar with the writing style and terminology, helpful when dealing with older writing that contains words that are esoteric and archaic. My parents basement was full of books and I was reading books (Like Lines and Shadows,The GodfatherThe Scarlet Letter, Sherlock Holmes, Edgar Allen Poe, Time Life Books) that had so many words and concepts that were totally unfamiliar to me. It would have been a terrible chore to look up every word I didn't recognize in the dictionary because there were simply too many. Looking them up would ruin the story! I generally skip the preface to books for a first read because I don't mind spending time to gain that first initial reaction and to keep it my own. However, a lot of people, most people probably would disagree because knowing the purpose of a book or why it was written allows you to adjust your mind - like the difference between watching a comedy and a documentary, I guess. Why you are trying to read these books might be a good question to answer for yourself. Because they are a challenge? Because it's on your list of things to do? Because you want to learn? What do you want to learn? Some books are harder than others. I was disappointed in War and Peace because it is so built up and realized later that because I grew up in the U.S. rather than Russia, I had a harder time keeping the characters straight because there are a lot of characters in the novel, oftentimes with similar names all which were unfamiliar to me at the time - the story for me got lost just keeping the characters straight. I felt as I were a bad person but, since I loved Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, I wasn't totally awful. Some books, I believe, are supposed to be hard because they are intended for people who think like the writer or because the subject itself is very hard. In many cases, it would be similar to trying to read a book written by a mechanic for mechanics using terminology and language mechanics understand and for the purpose of winning or settling a debate which the mechanic also assumes the reader knows and understands. At least with a lot of philosophy this seems to be that case. Books like those often need to be read with a math mind set, rather than in story mode. Or when you're in the mood for organizing something. Etc. Good luck!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”