Do you ever look at your unread books and think...

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you ever look at your unread books and think...

Post by gregs317 »

SPasciuti wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:10 I think about this every single day. My to-read shelf on goodreads is so enormous that I'm genuinely worried I'll never read all the books on it. And frankly, it's probably true. You can't have 3000+ books while simultaneously adding more every day and get through it. And I can't bring myself to stop adding them because then I'll forget about all these amazing sounding books I want to read.
You have 3000+ books on your to-read list? Gosh, I can't believe it! I love to read a good book myself, but I can't imagine such a long list (not criticizing you lol)

Do you ever give suggestions to your friends for good books to read?
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

gregs317 wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 15:31
SPasciuti wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:10 I think about this every single day. My to-read shelf on goodreads is so enormous that I'm genuinely worried I'll never read all the books on it. And frankly, it's probably true. You can't have 3000+ books while simultaneously adding more every day and get through it. And I can't bring myself to stop adding them because then I'll forget about all these amazing sounding books I want to read.
You have 3000+ books on your to-read list? Gosh, I can't believe it! I love to read a good book myself, but I can't imagine such a long list (not criticizing you lol)

Do you ever give suggestions to your friends for good books to read?
I have a pretty big relationship with Goodreads and since I'm just regularly getting all these updates from friends and the recommendations section, I just end up adding a lot more than I have time to read. Granted, I read a lot (already read 19 books this year), but I'm just always seeing books that sound interesting more than I'm actually able to keep up with reading them.

I give suggestions whenever I can. I've most recently been trying to get all my friends to read The Wendy by Erin Michelle Sky and Steven Brown. (Pestering, more like, lol.) But I generally keep my recommendations to friends who I know read the same books I do. Not everyone I know is into the same genre, so for example I have a hard time suggesting books to a friend of mine who loves the horror genre since I just never was able to get into it? But yeah.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

My 'to be read' list can be quite extensive, but I always find myself doing a combination of my 'already read and favorite' books and 'to be read' books so I don't miss out on books I've wanted to read, and miss the books that I've always loved to delve back into.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I agree that it's overwhelming, but also strangely comforting at the same time. I like knowing that I'll never run out of books to read though I am saddened to know that life will be too short to read them all.
Heather_Mc
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-mc.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heather_Mc »

I have so many unread books--Kindle and paperback--it's not even funny. I would pretty much have to construct my own private shelter in the middle of nowhere and have absolutely no contact with the outside world whatsoever. Which would be sad because I'd have to leave my family behind, and I do love them dearly. <3
gregs317
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Just curious if anyone knows of any good, upcoming books to be released this year? I'm interested in trying a book that might not normally catch my eye immediately. Not interested in romances or cozy mystery type books, no sci-fi or warfare novels either. Any thoughts or suggestions? Something from 2017-18 would be fine. Thanks, Greg
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I have this reaction every time I look at my bookshelf. How will i read everything? Will I like all of the books I have? But I'm glad that my kindle library doesn't take up actual space or else I'd really be panicking hah
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Yes I feel like this and I both love and hate the feeling. On one hand it means there wil always be more and more books for me. On the other hand, I sometimes get depressed that I will probably never get to read all these books in one life. Often this thought drives me crazy!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Yes I do that all the time I don't know when I will read it all but I know I will.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Yes, all the time! I always think how can I read all of these. Then again, I think I will just choose the best among them.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
harumira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harumira.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by harumira »

This is so relatable. I often buy books so I still have a lot of books I've never read just because I'm currently reading library books. My fiance doesn't understand why would I keep buying books if I haven't even read them all yet lol...
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I think this almost all the time.. all those books I have yet to read and I have so little time to read all of them.😂
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Yes! Thank you for this post. I think that constantly- now that I've joined this book club and constantly have great choices only a click away.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

Tip the Bottle wrote: 26 Mar 2011, 21:19 Do you ever look at your current unread books and think that more books are coming out every week and how will you ever even remotely have the time to read all that you would like?

It's kinda like that Twilight Zone episode where the librarian doesn't have the time to read all he wants.

It's overwhelming sometimes.
I do not worry that much about that even when I would like to be able to read all.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I have not ever thought that because I generally focus on older writers - my thoughts would be there are so many books that have already been written and how will I ever get to them all? Can I, or did someone hide them or ruin them? Like the library of Alexandria? Regarding hell for readers, I assumed that would be magazines like "Hustler" or even "Playboy" or, even worse, something like the "Never Ending Story" not existing at all.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”