Do you ever look at your unread books and think...

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kmikel0509
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Re: Do you ever look at your unread books and think...

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I get stressed when I look at how many books I haven't read that I own, tobehonest
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

For sure! I guess that's why I clear a couple of books on my day off and then buy more. It never ends. Often I wish I was immortal so that I could continue reading...
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I see it as an awesome challenge. I just hope I am up to that challenge! :roll:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I often feel like it's overwhelming but over the years I have given myself permission to stop reading a book if I'm not absolutely captivated. There's so many to choose from there's no reason to force yourself through something you're not enjoying.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
amelie94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelie94.html

Post by amelie94 »

To be honest, the books that I bought in June are still untouched in my bookselves.. Coz after buying an ereader in July, I just forgo the hard copy and went into the ebooks..
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

When I am not reading I am on youtube/tumblr/goodreads discussing books.

I try to keep my tbr pile small (10 books). I do not buy books until I have read most of my tbr pile. It is so hard!!!! I just want to buy ALL the books.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The other night I challenged myself to finish to finish two of the books I had started to read but hadn't finished! So now my unread list just got a tiny bit shorter.
Mindy_M
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... delible</a>
Currently Reading: Untamed
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-m.html

Post by Mindy_M »

I have definitely wondered how I could possibly keep up with all these books... As I've moved far too many times, I've had to pack and unpack my hundreds of books. It's really not fair to me or the books (or the cases they're on) to not have even read more than half of them! To fix this dilemma, I started a Bookcase Challenge in October 2015. This is not to be confused with a standard reading challenge. No. This Bookcase Challenge is to read every single book, and do my best to critique them. Is this book a waste of my time? If so, stop reading immediately and get rid of the book! If this book was good/alright, will I read it again? No? Get rid of the book! I've definitely had to come to terms with a few series that I loved as a teenager or young adult. Don't worry, most books wind up in a good home! Since I started it, I have read 71 books in their entirety. Don't let that fool you though! I've gone through 129 books. Only 55 books I read and kept. Last year, my reading challenge goal was 60 books, but I finished it off with 64. I found I got hung up on some books I just plainly weren't going to keep. However, now I have a groove and a better understanding of what I like and don't like, and I'm not so hesitant to "pass". With that said, this year, I've upped the ante to 75 books for my reading challenge. Since I seem to read 2 books a week, I'm anxious to see how big of a dent I can make on my collection.

...Though I will admit that last year I signed up for a monthly subscription box, which was great! But I really want to hone in on the books I have or of definite interest to me. I'm desperately trying to get my bookcases under control!
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

Well within the course of one week, I added 3 new books to my TBR list. When I see my unread books, I look at them as a goal. I'm very picky about which books I choose, so I look forward to reading each one.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Sometimes...

But then I get stuck in hospital and after that, I'm somehow all caught up and back to seeking out more new books.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Yes, I get overwhelmed by my TBR sometimes. I say I won't add any books to my list, but I inevitably do.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Ruxia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruxia.html

Post by Ruxia »

It there ever enough time? Staring at a pile of unread books and not having enough time to start one never mind finish it has always been stressful for me. I have friends who enjoy reading and on my birthday or Christmas they'd give me books they recommend as presents, and I hate not having the time to read them.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I sometimes get sad thinking of all the great books I won't be able to read before I die. Books that I know of that I simply won't have time to read, but also books yet to be written.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Sometimes I get annoyed at work and the hours I spend beyond the usual 9-5 grind... even now, I still find myself working 12 or more hours/day, and only insomnia and hospital stays have given me much by way of reading time over the past 20 or so years (which is why I am posting this at 12:40am, damn it all).
That said, I love what I do... but I do feel conflicted quite often. Books have always been an escape from a reality that has always left something to be desired, a reality that includes a lot of physical pain from which books have always provided a certain respite that work, as engrossing as it often is, has never been able to match. I rely less on pain meds when I am reading. I look at the ever-expanding collection on the 'unread' shelf and can't help but see each one as comfort deferred.
4jean+reads

Post by 4jean+reads »

So many readers and so many books and with all the new technology I was thinking, well, where did the readers go ! I am so glad there are so many thousands out and about, so I can say to those who look at my, any, shelves and shake their heads when they come into my home. I have ones I still have to read and ones I have gone through in a week and have learned some must be past on to others to enjoy.

-- 06 Jan 2017, 21:13 --

So many readers and so many books and with all the new technology I was thinking, well, where did the readers go ! I am so glad there are so many thousands out and about, so I can say to those who look at my, any, shelves and shake their heads when they come into my home. I have ones I still have to read and ones I have gone through in a week and have learned some must be past on to others to enjoy.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”