Books and Travel

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Books and Travel

Post by juliamenez »

In the forum "Why I like to Read", so many people have listed that reading lets them mentally travel to a different time or place. However, I wasn't able to find a topic specifically devoted to travel.

I would love to hear your thoughts about
1. travel inspiration from books you have read recently
2. any recommendations for non-fiction travel guidebooks
3. travel stories and general travel advice
juliamenez
Currently Reading:

Post by juliamenez »

I just finished reading "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat", and was not at all expecting that it would take place on Sri Lanka. I really enjoyed reading a children's book that has the potential to spark wanderlust in children, especially many children have probably never heard of Sri Lanka.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Travel and reading are my two favourite things so I love this topic. :D

One fun idea is to read a (translated depending on nationally) book by an author from each country you travel to. There is one woman who has just done this while travelling the world, if you are interested to check out: ayearofreadingtheworld.com
juliamenez
Currently Reading:

Post by juliamenez »

My husband and I are traveling to northern Europe soon and so many of the destinations remind me of great books!

Denmark - "Hamlet", obviously
Sweden - "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and other Steig Larsson books
Russia - there were many good ones from Russian lit class, and one of my favorites was definitely "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin
Switzerland - I am ashamed to say I've never actually read "Heidi"

We're also visiting Finland and Estonia and would appreciate any recommendations for books on/ set in these countries or any of the other ones listed above. Thanks!
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I just will feel like my mind mentally moves and I can close my eyes and see what this place would be like.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I don’t think anything can beat Bill Bryson! Possibly not advisable to rely on his work as a travel guide but he does make you want to go and experience places for yourself through the most hilarious stories.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:

Post by juliamenez »

I just finished reading The Warramunga's War. It was so interesting to read about how regions like Egypt and Australia impacted World War II. It definitely makes me want to see the pyramids!
Likey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Likey »

I loved Sherlock Holmes series by Conan Doyle and therefore wanted to visit London and the UK in general (which I did a couple years ago). Although most of my travels nowadays are inspired by movies and instagram :)
juliamenez
Currently Reading:

Post by juliamenez »

I am currently reading Superhighway, and it really makes me want to travel to luxurious places like St. Lucia, Amsterdam, and Geneva!
juliamenez
Currently Reading:

Post by juliamenez »

I just finished reading "This Nearly Was Mine" by Nancy Farkas, and it definitely sparks some wanderlust to visit the southern coast of Spain.
Monie_raey
Currently Reading: Longthroat Memoirs
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monie-raey.html
Latest Review: Junk Justice by Gerry Rising

Post by Monie_raey »

I also want to read a travel book. I like thriller and adventure and I think travel fiction can give me that. Or what I would like is a role model like the Korean actress jeon haerim write a memoir on one of her crazy expeditions. I love her like that. To see travel through her eyes. 🤗
kitty26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kitty26 »

Hi Everyone,

It's my favorite topic TravelI like to read a travel blog when I'm at home. I like to read adventure places in books because adventure places giving you thinking according to your mind. While traveling it would be helpful for understanding the places.
Thanks...
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Last Christmas, I traveled to Barcelona and in my carry on was Dan Brown's Origin. Brown's descriptions of Barcelona and the Sagrada Familia inspired my journey in and around the Barcelona area.

Within the Sagrada Familia, Brown's story leaps from the pages and it is obvious to see why Brown chose this magnificent setting for his book.

As far as non-fiction travel guides, if you find yourself in the Peak District of England (as everyone must go eventually) pick up a Pub and Walk travel guide. These guides take you through the gorgeous walking trails and right into the best pubs in the area. These 5-15 pound books are a perfect investment in your journey.
Spencer Mack
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I love to read and travel but one thing that keeps me off is travelling sickness Can't concentrate for long hours.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”