Books you would NOT recommend?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Books you would NOT recommend?

Post by Abigail R »

Are there books you guys regret reading to the point you would recommend people NOT read them?
I usually think there will be something you can learn from each book and story, but some stories I wish I did not have in my head.

Here's my example:
I was in middle school when the book 13 Reasons Why came out, my mom heard it was good and brought is home for me. After reading the first chapter I started to feel physically ill to the point where I made my mom take the book back because I did not even want to look at it. I never did finish it. At this point in my life, I had not struggled with mental illness but through out high school and college depression became a mountain to overcome for me. I am SO grateful I did not have the book (or TV show) rolling around in my brain for that season of life. I don't know if it was some kind of divine intervention that was screaming at me not to read it, but I am glad I put it down.

NOTE: I know some people have benefited from this book and TV show, and that's wonderful. But for me personally, it is on a major NO GO list.

Does anyone else have books that they would not recommend to people?
Ms Maina
Currently Reading: The Siege
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Ms Maina »

When it comes to which books to read and not to read, will depend on which genre one likes. Unless the preference is the same, then one can't really tell.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I know it's down to personal preference but I wouldn't recommend the Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

Its a long laborious read with little to no pay off. I found it a real trudge and only finished it because I was reading with a group of friends in a make shift book club. Otherwise it would have been left firmly on my DNF* shelf.

* Did not finish.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Abigail R

Post by Abigail R »

Northernbird84 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 09:32 I know it's down to personal preference but I wouldn't recommend the Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

Its a long laborious read with little to no pay off. I found it a real trudge and only finished it because I was reading with a group of friends in a make shift book club. Otherwise it would have been left firmly on my DNF* shelf.

* Did not finish.
So I went and read about this book to see what it is about. I think it is funny that based on the description and some of the other things I read, I would probably pick up this book and want to read it! Perhaps a previous reply is correct, obviously different people are going to like different things. However, sometimes the most interesting sounding books can be the most dull. It does look like a looong book.

Thanks for your input!
Abigail R

Post by Abigail R »

Ms Maina wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 09:15 When it comes to which books to read and not to read, will depend on which genre one likes. Unless the preference is the same, then one can't really tell.
I am always interested to hear what other people like and do not like. Take my example of 13 Reasons Why, people LOVE this book and the love the TV series. I always tell people to approach this with caution because of it's subject matter. I am very interested in hearing about books people hated and why, just as much as I am interested in hearing about books people loved.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr
Amna Khalid

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”