When does review become one long SPOILER ALERT?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
history100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-history100.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

When does review become one long SPOILER ALERT?

Post by history100 »

Hi,
I have read many great reviews on this site. Thanks! But sometimes the review ruins my reading fun by telling me too much about the book. I struggle with this as a reviewer myself. How do you know when you've crossed the line from summary to too many details?

Any tips or advice? Thanks in advance.
VickiJ

I have my books and my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
fnc_bibliophile
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fnc_bibliophile »

Hi!
I’m new here, so I don’t have any book review posted yet, but I’ve done a lot of book review at school for our library period.

Personally, I think those long reviews that give out more spoils than necessary are hard to control. Sometimes, when I write a review for a book, movie or game, I tend to write a very long one especially if I’m really into what I’ve read or watched. And limiting a review to only a few lines in order not to be a spoiler is really a hard task for me.

Advice? I think that every reviewer should have control and limit. Control over yourself–your mind and your hands, and limit what you give out. Although I believed it’s not entirely the reviewer’s fault if there’s a reader who read his/her review first before reading the actual book.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I agree with you here. I do my absolute best to not include any spoilers in my reviews at all, and will make a point of saying so on my post.

Thankfully this site has the same stance on spoilers and details that reviewers shouldn't give any.

However, I also get annoyed by reviews which say about a twist at the end, well now I'm expecting a twist so it's kind of ruined the surprise for me! It's definitely a fine line.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Northernbird84 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 09:55 I agree with you here. I do my absolute best to not include any spoilers in my reviews at all, and will make a point of saying so on my post.

Thankfully this site has the same stance on spoilers and details that reviewers shouldn't give any.

However, I also get annoyed by reviews which say about a twist at the end, well now I'm expecting a twist so it's kind of ruined the surprise for me! It's definitely a fine line.
Oh no! I was nodding along with you in complete agreement because I know exactly what you mean about those annoying people and their spoiler-y reviews. And then I stopped short when you mentioned twist spoilers, because I just did my first review... I was so, so careful not to give any spoilers. And I didn't. But I also didn't even consider that mentioning there would be a twist was a spoiler in itself. God, I never thought I'd be one of those annoying spoiler-y people...

I'll never do it again.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”