Do you read a lot on holidays?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Do you read a lot on holidays?

Post by StephenKingman »

Im heading on holiday soon and it got me thinking, i couldnt possibly go on a long flight, bus rides etc without a few books to keep me going. I like to bring at least 2 or 3 on holiday to catch up whilst on the plane, at night etc. Do you like to read whilst on or traveling to your holiday destination? I guess the Kindle would come in useful in that regard as its a very popular bus/plane activity. :D
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Absolutely .... in with the headphones, out with the book & to hell with Mick O'Leary & his efforts to flog me rubbish.

I normally bring 3-4 books with me on hols but always ones I'm happy to leave at my destination for someone else to enjoy.

Kindle is perfect for travel right enough ... especially with Mick & his dam scales.

Flying without a book & the Ipod would be pure torture.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

I always take a book with myself but never have time to read it. Always so much happens on holidays.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Oh yes!! And now that I have a Kindle I just love it. Right now I have 10 books on it. So instead of carrying those ten versions in paperback all I have is the one Kindle which is thin and light weight.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:Absolutely .... in with the headphones, out with the book & to hell with Mick O'Leary & his efforts to flog me rubbish.

I normally bring 3-4 books with me on hols but always ones I'm happy to leave at my destination for someone else to enjoy.

Kindle is perfect for travel right enough ... especially with Mick & his dam scales.

How are you finding the Kindle then Fran, i have never tried one but i still cannot imagine using it to replace the book, then again i would have to try it before casting ultimate judgment..

The one place i cannot read is an airport lounge, there are so many announcements, crowds of people and movement that i find it very hard to concentrate.
Fran

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:
Fran wrote:Absolutely .... in with the headphones, out with the book & to hell with Mick O'Leary & his efforts to flog me rubbish.

How are you finding the Kindle then Fran, i have never tried one but i still cannot imagine using it to replace the book, then again i would have to try it before casting ultimate judgment..

The one place i cannot read is an airport lounge, there are so many announcements, crowds of people and movement that i find it very hard to concentrate.
My Kindle is a fantastic invention ... although I am trying to get through my 'physical' book pile before I really get into it. I am afraid to say it will replace the paperbacks. I would be a bit concerned about bringing it on hols though ... it would be easy to 'misplace'. Not much chance of your paperback going walkies while you are getting the vital cup of coffee or in the loo.

It would take a lot more that a few announcements to stop me reading .. got delayed overnight once in Greece & boy was I glad to have my book.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Fair play to you, i am distracted a bit more by the general hustle and bustle. Is the Kindle easy enough to hold and flick through then? I have used an i-Phone and touch screen but not a Kindle yet, it looks a bit cold and sterile..
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

I would be incapable of standing a trip if did not bring a book onto a plane or car-ride with me, and both me and my parents agree that it is a nesscesity.

as for the matter of kindle, I harbour for it a deep dislike. It doesn't feel natural to read a novel without having the book to hold in my hands, and I don't know how I would stand it if kindle did in fact replace paperbacks.
Fran

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:Fair play to you, i am distracted a bit more by the general hustle and bustle. Is the Kindle easy enough to hold and flick through then? I have used an i-Phone and touch screen but not a Kindle yet, it looks a bit cold and sterile..
It's really lovely & so so easy to use ... I'm not a gadget person at all but I would consider it way easier to use that the i-Phone which I find a bit 'fiddly'.
I do think a mains charger should come as standard though.

You'd have to operate to get me to part with it & I didn't honestly think I would fall in love with it. The only downside is how much of a conversation started it is on the train ... annoying when you are trying to read (only joking!)

:lol:
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Get yourself to London or New York, where the people dont bat an eyelid, we are still in the 'sticks' here so it will take a good while for it to be commonplace. I still cant see them replacing the humble paperback, with its cover full of art and effort and its neat pages, at least not in my generation anyway, but in a curious state i may invest in one when they go down in price a bit.
:D
Fran

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:Get yourself to London or New York, where the people dont bat an eyelid, we are still in the 'sticks' here so it will take a good while for it to be commonplace. I still cant see them replacing the humble paperback, with its cover full of art and effort and its neat pages, at least not in my generation anyway, but in a curious state i may invest in one when they go down in price a bit.
:D
Wouldn't mind if Amazon were paying me commission :)
- My Home by Clive James
Kilgore-trout

Post by Kilgore-trout »

I think a book is a must when you're on a holiday or having to wait. In noisy areas I do find it best to have an ipod, but I don't have an ipod anymore :cry:

the kindles are cool, but I've always been a collector sort of person. I don't buy mp3s, I buy CD's. I like having a collection, I almost think it makes you appreciate the novel itself more when you buy it or get it from whatever source. Technology makes things easier, but when things are easier to get they lose a little bit of their value.
Scottbuda

Post by Scottbuda »

books are great while lounging on a beach.
Ashley.cappuccino

Post by Ashley.cappuccino »

I almost always have a book regardless of if I'm on vacation or not. When I do go on vacation most of the time I end up taking two or more books depending on how long I'll be gone and my Kindle. I love how little room that the Kindle takes up now that I have it, because paperbacks can take up so much space, but it's hard to decide which to take. So now if I want I can take ten books and not have it take up half my suitcase. The only downside to the Kindle is getting used to how thin it is. It feels weird to read a book on that small of a device, when you're used to holding a normal book. I go back and forth on which I like more, the real book or the Kindle, but I am definately glad that I own one. They make storage much less of a problem.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Ashley.cappuccino wrote:I almost always have a book regardless of if I'm on vacation or not. When I do go on vacation most of the time I end up taking two or more books depending on how long I'll be gone and my Kindle. I love how little room that the Kindle takes up now that I have it, because paperbacks can take up so much space, but it's hard to decide which to take. So now if I want I can take ten books and not have it take up half my suitcase. The only downside to the Kindle is getting used to how thin it is. It feels weird to read a book on that small of a device, when you're used to holding a normal book. I go back and forth on which I like more, the real book or the Kindle, but I am definately glad that I own one. They make storage much less of a problem.
That's exactly why I love my kindle so much. Instead of one suitcase designated for my books, I can just throw my kindle in a bag and call it good.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”