What Do You Think About Historical Fiction That's More Fiction Than History?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

What Do You Think About Historical Fiction That's More Fiction Than History?

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

Some stories demand more fiction than historical fact. The subject reminds me of the scenes in which the boat is out to sea after losing their radio capabilities in "The Perfect Storm". No one knows what happened out there so it all had to be fictionalized.

I believe historical fiction should usually be more fiction than fact to make the story more interesting and "fill in the gaps". However all historical facts should be accurate and the reader should be easily able to differentiate the fact from fiction. If the story was all history, or even mostly historical fact, it would read like a textbook.

What do you think? More fact or more fiction?
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Whether more fact or fiction may not be the deciding factor in achieving a book that makes for an interesting read, in my opinion anyway. Writing styles are what usually wow me. Write about an ice cube melting over the course of six hours, throw I some darkness, a few strokes of desperation and one or two heart thumping moments and for all you know it make a more interesting read than kayaking down a rapid. Maybe the mood of whatever muse is in charge also determines ..... what do i know?
emmanaco58
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by emmanaco58 »

I believe historical facts are needed in some stories for it not to be on a pleasure basis, so as to make readers get more knowledge of what they have heard about that particular concept
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Great discussion topic! Possibly my favorite genre, I adore a well-written historical fiction novel. I believe it is imperative for the author to be historically accurate and that the history should be the basis for the entire story. After that, the author has leeway to present a storyline of their choosing. I feel the author should present the book in a way such that the reader won't confuse fact and fiction.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

It definitely has to be a good balance. Otherwise it doesn't tell a good story or it takes you out of the realism of it if there is blatantly wrong information. I've never read a bad historical fiction, luckily.

I just love when you're reading historical fiction and have to look up to see if the story is "based on a true story" historical fiction or just set in a historical setting, but completely fiction.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I think it is an "ends justify the means" kind of thing. If I were to walk into a kitchen and see that the sink is filled with dirty dishes, all the surfaces are unclean, just complete disorder all around, but then I'm presented with the most delicious cake that man has ever tasted then I could forgive the mess. Same thing with stories. If the end product is good then whatever historical inaccuracies it has won't take away from my enjoyment of it.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I think that certain parts need more fiction and other parts need facts. Maybe you will have it on people who really existed, but the plot is fiction. You need to make sure that the people, timeline, and facts are correct.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”