Bookmarks

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rebelfleur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Bookmarks

Post by rebelfleur »

when i was younger i would make paper ones. Then i bought i beautiful wooden carved one ended up loosing it inside a book being returned to the library and every since than its just random cardboard ones. However i think i will try to buy a wooden one again.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I am a bit obsessed with bookmarks. I once had about 50 of them and when starting a new book I was choosing new one each time. Now I make them from pictures of journals or draw them myself.
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

My book blogger friend gives me bookmarks, but every time I read, I can't seem to find one anywhere, so I just use a piece of paper, a pen, the remote, or my phone. I used to dog-ear pages, but then I grew a really nitpicky conscience, and I stopped doing that. Now, I just use anything I can reach!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I always lose my real bookmarks. Usually I end up using scraps of paper. Because I can't find the book mark I had at first, I always just tear off a piece of paper of whatever I can see.
SarahMackmin
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by SarahMackmin »

I used to love using a bookmark and now I use a kindle I can open automatically to the last page I was on.

My favourite bookmarks have to be leather though ?
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I typically just use whatever scrap of paper that I can find lying around. I always lose bookmarks too, so even if I get one I will use it for a while and then I can't find it. Typically though, I just use whatever is in my reach when I'm ready to mark my place.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Sakuko

Post by Sakuko »

I have a bunch of self-made bookmarks with Sailor Moon theme as well as a bunch of bookmark calendar pages with cats on them. They're all kinda scruffy by now, so I obviously don't loose them often enough. ;)
I do need my bookmarks to keep to a row, so it's important for me to have something straight.
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

I usually use a piece of paper as the bookmark; but if the book has a jacket I will use that to mark the page.
As others have indicated I usually loose bought book marks.
But I have been know to make cross stitched book marks for family and friends.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I had an idea I want to begin putting into practice and I thought I'd share it with you guys in case any of you might want to do the same.

I have a lot of International Collector's Book Library books and each of them comes with a ribbon bookmark. It occurred to me that making such a bookmark would be really easy to do on hardbound books. Simply glue a length of thin ribbon between the spine and back cover of the book at the top and you have an instant and permanent bookmark that travels with and adds a bit of elegance to the book.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I am already doing this with my larger textbook style books. I use three ribbons and I use tape to secure them to the back cover of the book by the spine on the inside of the book. I use three different colors one for contents or front information section; one for my place where I am reading; and one for the index of the book. This comes in handy for my books that have tissue thin pages that would be ripped by the weight of the magnetic bookmarks that I like to use.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
captain-rina
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captain-rina.html

Post by captain-rina »

currently I have 3 strings orange and blue in color that i wove into a simple hemp pattern sometimes I'll make them with beads on the end that hang out of the book
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

I use receipts, store tags from clothes, bills, sometimes I buy one if I find one I really like, and I make them. More or less, whatever is on my stand at the time I need a bookmark.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I don't have a specific bookmark that I use all of the time. Most of the time I just what is available (sticky note, receipt, airplane boarding pass, etc) but there have been sometimes where I have actually made a bookmark specifically for the book I was reading. For example, I printed off the maps associated with the text when reading Moby Dick and used that.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I don't usually use a bookmark, but if I do, it's just whatever paper is laying around close to me. If I'm reading a hardcover book, I use the end flap.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I have actually started making my own bookmarks using watercolors. It is just a fun little hobby I started recently. I also love the color bookmarks. I found some color your Jane Austen book marks at Target and they are so much fun!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”