Has a book inspired you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Re: Has a book inspired you?

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

'The Book Thief' by Markuz Zusak completely changed my perspective on how to write emotionally and how to write descriptively. The words seemed to lift off the page and it has stayed with me for a long time.
I suppose the book that started my love of reading was 'Matilda' by Roald Dahl, about the extraordinary girl with a special gift and a love of books. I still remember wanting to sit in a library for hours and hours devouring every book I could find to read.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

EmeraldEyes8918 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 09:31 'The Book Thief' by Markuz Zusak completely changed my perspective on how to write emotionally and how to write descriptively. The words seemed to lift off the page and it has stayed with me for a long time.
I suppose the book that started my love of reading was 'Matilda' by Roald Dahl, about the extraordinary girl with a special gift and a love of books. I still remember wanting to sit in a library for hours and hours devouring every book I could find to read.
I have picked up The Book Thief a couple of times in shops only to put it back down....next time I will be sure to buy it!
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig is a book that I recommend often and have even gifted on occasion. It is a memoir about Haig's depression and anxiety and how he overcame it. He writes in a way that is so real and honest while also being a funny guide to living life to its fullest. It is a book inspired me and that gave me hope in a hopeless situation.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

abigailray1013 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 08:17 Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig is a book that I recommend often and have even gifted on occasion. It is a memoir about Haig's depression and anxiety and how he overcame it. He writes in a way that is so real and honest while also being a funny guide to living life to its fullest. It is a book inspired me and that gave me hope in a hopeless situation.
I have read this book and I agree the writing felt real and honest. You could feel the emotion involved. It helped me think in a different way about mental health.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Many books have, including: Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, Upstream by Mary Oliver, and Wild by Cheryl Strayed.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

The book that has most inspired my life was "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Tim Ferriss. It is a solid non-fiction book, but the principles in it have helped me gain back a lot of time to devote to reading more fiction.
aufsteigen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 021">Kafka On The Shore</a>
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aufsteigen.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 85
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by aufsteigen »

For me it was 'Demian' by Herman Hesse. It tells the journey of a youth named Sinclair as he transitions into adulthood. The book is very thought-provoking and has never failed to make me question things. It fuels my love for the mysteries the world has to offer, and I have never realised I could reach depths within the human psyche that I have never seen before. I'd easily recommend this book for anyone who likes philosophical books.
Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Melekwe Anthony »

I have been inspired by "Tell No One" by harlen Coben

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”