Cozy Mysteries

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Cozy Mysteries

Post by Lil Reads »

This genre seems to be getting more popular than ever and I'm interested in anybody's opinions.

Post any thoughts you have here!
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

Is "Cozy Mysteries" a subgenre of mysteries or just the way you describe the mystery genre? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm confused.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

No problem; my fault for not explaining it better.

It's a sort of sub-genre, usually set in a small town and the mystery is investigated by a non-police local. Jessica Fletcher in Murder, She Wrote is sort of the main TV example.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
HGreenfield04
Currently Reading: Nerd Gone Wild
Bookshelf Size: 2122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hgreenfield04.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by HGreenfield04 »

Cozy Mysteries are mysteries that aren't as serious in my opinion. I love Cozy Mysteries, I think the first one I read was Murder of a Botoxed Blonde and I laughed so hard throughout that book. But I think since Hallmark Movies and Mysteries is making so many Cozies into movies the genre has gotten a lot more exposure. :)
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

HGreenfield04 wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 21:33 Cozy Mysteries are mysteries that aren't as serious in my opinion. I love Cozy Mysteries, I think the first one I read was Murder of a Botoxed Blonde and I laughed so hard throughout that book. But I think since Hallmark Movies and Mysteries is making so many Cozies into movies the genre has gotten a lot more exposure. :)
They're coming out with a ton. I know I'm definitely looking forward to watching them!
HGreenfield04
Currently Reading: Nerd Gone Wild
Bookshelf Size: 2122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hgreenfield04.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by HGreenfield04 »

They're coming out with a ton. I know I'm definitely looking forward to watching them!
[/quote]

Oh, I know my Dvr has been getting a bit full lately lol! And then I jump over to google to see if I can find the book to read. :D
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I've never heard of cozy mysteries but they sound like something I would really like!
steve higgs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by steve higgs »

Hi everyone, I love cozy mysteries. when they are well written they are enthralling but always fun. A lot of what is being written in this genre seems to be supernatural, there are a lot of stories or series with a witch as the main character, but there are also many that use baking as a central theme i.e. the main character bakes and someone gets murdered and they solve the mystery as an amateur sleuth. Janet Evanovich has written a great series that could be classed as crime comedy in which Stephanie Plum solves mysteries while being completely inept and keeping her gun in her cookie jar because she is scared of it. I would definitely check her out, but there are lots of independently published authors selling Cozys and they are either FREE (my favourite price) for their first book, or very cheap.
steve higgs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by steve higgs »

Hi everyone, I love cozy mysteries. when they are well written they are enthralling but always fun. A lot of what is being written in this genre seems to be supernatural, there are a lot of stories or series with a witch as the main character, but there are also many that use baking as a central theme i.e. the main character bakes and someone gets murdered and they solve the mystery as an amateur sleuth. Janet Evanovich has written a great series that could be classed as crime comedy in which Stephanie Plum solves mysteries while being completely inept and keeping her gun in her cookie jar because she is scared of it. I would definitely check her out, but there are lots of independently published authors selling Cozys and they are either FREE (my favourite price) for their first book, or very cheap.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

Are there any other cozy mysteries that you have read that you would recommend. It sounds interesting and just the change I might need. I tend to get bored with the same type of book over and over. I will definitely look into Janet Evanovich. The series you described sounds delightful.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

It does seem like something people would prefer. A summer read is fine but sometimes we do need a little mystery. But if the book is too gory, then it might take away from a cozy experience.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I love cozy mysteries. I am a huge Agatha Christie fan, and I will read just about anything in this sub-genre. I also love MC Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series.

I think another big difference between cozy mysteries and other mysteries is that they tend to be less graphic when it comes to violence.

One of my favorites is Death of the Cantankerous Old Coot by Teresa Watson. It has a lot of humor to it.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
chiadeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiadeer.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by chiadeer »

I love cozy mysteries! They are usually a fun, light-hearted read. As others have mentioned there is usually a main character (who is just a regular person, not law enforcement) who does all the investigating and solves the mystery. Another aspect to most cozy mysteries is that they have some kind of theme to them and all the books in the series are named accordingly. For example the main character is a cupcake baker, chocolatier, bookbinder, inn keeper, etc. Also, a lot of them are full of puns, my favorite form of humor.
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

Hmmmm I am not sure if this falls under this category but the Agatha Raisin books were so good and light hearted and easy to get into. There is many of them and it is about a private investigator based in a small town in the Cotswold's, Anyway I would recommend them for this type of genre, plus some have been made into a series although her character isn't as true to the books I liked it all the same. :)
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I've also never heard of this genre, but now I want to check it out! Thanks for putting it on my radar.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”