Do you research a book before you read it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Do you research a book before you read it?

Post by MikleoKrein »

Yes, I need to know the ending first.

I hate bad endings or bittersweet endings. There's only a handful of books that I've tried and liked with these endings.

My reasoning for not liking endings other than happy endings? Books are a form of my escape from reality. I want to read something happy, or something with a loving ending.
efa2009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by efa2009 »

No, the details on the back cover are enough for me
Tajwar Shakir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tajwar-shakir.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tajwar Shakir »

Òfcourse! I always gò for the catchy titles that sound intriguing immediately to me. Then the genre of the book. Later i do some research upon the author as well before going to read. So its a requirement for a good read!
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

No, I will just glance at the description of the book given by the author, and if I find the book worth reading I accept it.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
CrimsonPrincess24
Currently Reading: success bound
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by CrimsonPrincess24 »

Yes. Before reading a book I read the sypnosis, other reader's review and such to check if i really want this book.
JoeyG01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JoeyG01 »

I usually do, I like to have a general idea of what the book I'm about to read is going to be about and if it will peak my interest
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

Nope. I've mostly just been taking whatever I can get for free since I joined this community, and the roulette of genres has been pretty fun. In the last month, I've read non-fiction, romance, horror, adventure, and children's books.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

See, I'm not picky about genre or author anything, so I see a title I like, I read it. I like to be completely surprised, and that's just my style of reading.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I research a book AFTER I have read it. Researching it before can lead to the plot being spoiled by accidentally reading something which would be best not read in advance.

After I have read a book, or the work of an author I am reading for the first time, I tend to research the book as well as the biography of the author, provided of course that I like the work enough to invest the time. In doing so I often discover details I had missed or interpretations I had not considered. I also like to learn about the author's life and what in their past may have led them to write the book such as inspirations and influences they acquired by reading other authors.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Sometime I read a book just because of the cover alone. But mostly I read book reviews before I start reading a book.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I like to know some things about a book before I read it, but what is on the inside flap is really all that I need.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Yes. Just to have an idea of what I'm getting into and if I would like it.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

When I buy books I go by some of the details. Such as author, title, cover and I read the excerpt/ synopsis on the back. I look for keywords depending on the genre of book. If its a crime/ thriller/ murder mystery the keywords draw you in and catch your attention
with much more ease.
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

Yes! I want to know if it’s truly good so I don’t waste my time. I’ll just read the description on amazon and if it seems interesting i’ll read it.
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I research the reviews. I won't bother reading it if it had really bad reviews. If it is an author I don't know, I will read the back.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”