Book you never finished

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jechamer
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jechamer.html
Latest Review: "Death is a Machine" by Zebulon Grey

Re: Book you never finished

Post by jechamer »

I don't think there's any fiction book that I've never finished. Non-fiction - now that's a different story. There's quite a few of them I didn't finish.
Latest Review: "Death is a Machine" by Zebulon Grey
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Bill Clinton's autobiography - it was way too detailed and endless.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

Specials by Scott Westerfield.

Matched by Ally Condie

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

All are very popular books, but I just wasn't pulled in. THe plots were either too boring, I didn't like the main character, or I had higher expectations for the book and was let down.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
dlachance9
Favorite Author: Tom Robbins
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlachance9.html
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
fav_author_id: 3036

Post by dlachance9 »

The Lord of the Rings. I've had people get so angry with me when they found out I dislike this book (and series), but we all have different tastes. I simply couldn't get through the first half of this book.
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Lennoc wrote:War and Peace. I've started it several times. It is unusual for me not to finish a book but that one I just can't seem to get through.

I totally get why you couldn't finish, but if you ever find the time, I encourage you to try again. The ending is the best part.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

The Brothers Karamazov.

I think it would be worth reading, but at the time I happened to run across a copy of it, I didn't have the time to make the commitment to it. And the plot is complex enough that you can't read a little bit and then come back a month later and remember what's going on.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Grouchiegirl119
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grouchiegirl119.html
Latest Review: "The Backside of Nowhere" by Alec Clayton

Post by Grouchiegirl119 »

Fran wrote:
laci_baby wrote:I agree with Bridges of Madison County... i couldnt get through that if my life depended on it.

It took me forever to finish A Clockwork Orange mostly because of the slang he created... but i did eventually finish it and adore it.

I cannot for the life of me finish Lily of the Valley. I've tried three times, and will continue to try but i dont see an end in sight.
Despite repeated efforts I cannot figure A Clockwork Orange ... I finished it but I still have no idea what it was about - guess I'm just not the 'target audience'. Another book that failed to impact me was The Catcher in the Rye ... I just found him to be a most annoying pain in the ass.
Shocking I know ... two 'cult' books that just left me cold.
I didn't love Catcher In The Rye but it led me to Franny and Zoey and I loved that and then had a better understanding of Catcher In The Rye.
Latest Review: "The Backside of Nowhere" by Alec Clayton
DianaChristie23
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianachristie23.html

Post by DianaChristie23 »

In my college Loyola University in Chicago, I was taking a Victorian Lit class because my major was English Lit. and we started reading Anthony Trollope's the Prime Minister. I could not finish it! It was so dull and slow. That is probably the worst book I ever got my hands on. Another one I could not get past the first few pages was the Hobbit, but I love the movies!
Dextress
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dextress.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dextress »

Children of the Lamp. But I was only eight when I started reading it and it didn't really intrigue me. It wasn't that I didn't know the words. It's just it didn't grab me and pull me in. But, hopefully, when I try to read it again (seeing as I own the book) I'll be able to finish and enjoy the book. Seeing as my taste in books has become at least slightly more sophisticated. :wink:
Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Ropis »

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph W. Emerson
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Don Quixote. Started it years ago and never finished it. But it's still on the bookshelf, and someday I'll read it.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
emleemay

Post by emleemay »

I almost always have to make myself finish a book but I have plenty of abandoned series.
lshea5

Post by lshea5 »

Surprisingly, a book I could never get into was The Girl Who Played With Fire. I know it is part of a very popular series, but somehow I was not compelled to continue reading.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

Til Death in the conversion series.... the level of boredom while reading and annoyance at the repeated sentence 'She smacked him' in this book, verged on almost painful. But it's part of a series so I eventually have to finish it someday. Lord give me strength!
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
LoisRyan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loisryan.html

Post by LoisRyan »

Usually books that I found boring or did not hold my interest. I remembered in High School we had to read The Scarlet Letter and I read enough to write a passable paper on it. I don't know it just bored me. I was reading the Sookie Stackhouse series and got halfway through the third book. It seemed that the books were always alike as if the author just reworded the previous books and found it annoying

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”