Do you buy your books used or new?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Do you buy your books used or new?

Post by Mary Garrison »

It depends on what they have. Sometimes I find good deals at Barnes and noble, but sometimes I find just as good ones used at a second hand store or online.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I buy both new and used books and actually prefer used ones in some ways. Giving used books is something I'd like to do more, but my family is so funny about it. They hate used books (aside from my husband) so I'm forced to usually give new ones!
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

I used to really like getting fresh, new paperbacks brand new from the store, crisp and unopened. These days, while I still appreciate that, I don't mind getting used books; they are definitely cheaper but they read the same! As far as giving a used book as a gift, I think I would only do that to someone who was either a close friend/family member and/or someone who is an avid reader and feels the same way I do about used books.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I buy both new and used books. I would give someone one of my books if I really love it as a gift. Or if it was a harder to find book, I would purchase a out of print/ vintage/ used book. It depends on the books wear and availability.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I usually only buy new books about once a year. The majority of the books I read come from my local library. It adds to the reading experience if I'm reading a used book that has a bit of history.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I buy them both (new and used) and love gifts cards to purchase them. :tiphat:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am in for both. Each has a distinct feel associated with it. Just for example -smell; old books can not compete with the smell of new books, nor can new books compete with that of old ones. Another wonderful thing about old and used books is that they come much cheaper, and they have a history of their own to share. I don't mind gifting old books, as long as the recipients appreciate the books for what they are, and not for what their condition/price is.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I prefer new books, some old book have annoying jottings in them. It's not nice when they write in books.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

It depends, really. If it's a series I want part of my permanent library, I'll usually buy new, unless the used book is in great condition. However, I'll buy new and used. In fact, one of my favorite bookstores in Austin is Half PRice Books. I've found almost complete Tolkien collections. They also have a great selection of older, first and second editions, but those tend to be up there in price. I found a great condition leather-bound box set of Tolkien books there for $150. They were beautiful and I'll hopefully get my hands on them one day :lol:
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Eliasrawrr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eliasrawrr »

I think of any book I haven't read as a new book. Buying a used book to me is more affordable, I find that I can't put them down. Finding someone's treasure and appreciating it until someone else needs it. Purchasing a new book would have to be something current that I have to have right away, I don't care how much it cost. I sometimes go through three copies highlighting or gifting them. Especially when cooking I seem to have a heavy hand with the pages.
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

I buy most of my books used. It is so much cheaper to get used books. Trying to go to the book store is very difficult because the prices are so high on new books. There is always the possibility that you may buy a new book, pay that extra money, and not even like it. I can get on Amazon and buy great books for only four bucks! A lot of online sellers put books on Amazon for only a penny! All you have to do is pay the four dollars in shipping and handling. With such great prices, I never buy new books unless I have to. Novels, comics, history, psychology... You can find anything on Amazon in used condition. No need to have a nearby book store or travel a long time to find one.

However, there can be an upside to new books. Especially in the comic book section of a store. At my local book store, there is a dollar section for individual issues, and a bargain section for price cut volumes that collect a number of issues in one. I like to buy those new, since it's cheap and affordable in comparison to the main comic book section. And at those kind of prices, Amazon is not a good choice because of shipping and handling costs.

I think it's amazing that one has to pay so much for a very thin comic book issue that's only about thirty pages. You can get a used novel on Amazon for that kind of money. And Amazon almost always has everything cheaper than book stores. It's so tempting just to get on Amazon and avoid the book store all together. However, I do like to walk around the book store anyway, even if I have no intention of buying anything. It's just a fun thing to do.

I have only one warning for buying used books. Never get anything that is in "Acceptable" condition unless you absolutely have to. Always aim for "Good", "Very Good" and "Like New". You don't want a beat up book with lots of creases.
IntrovertBooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-introvertbooklover.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by IntrovertBooklover »

I buy both used and new books. I look for used books that are excellent or good condition.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

98% of the books I get are used, and I've both given and received used books as gifts. It's never bothered me and to the best of my knowledge, it's never bothered the people I've given them to. So long as it's legible and has not been torn and abused, it contains the same value it had new :)
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

It's half and half for me. On the one hand, I like having brand new, shiny copies of books. On the other, used books have a distinct quality and smell to them that I yearn for. It's almost magical to me to have a used book in my hands
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Both. I pick up some good reads from the Friends of the Library book sales at my local branch.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”