Do you buy your books used or new?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Re: Do you buy your books used or new?

Post by klwoodford »

I like used and new. I love that buying used can save me money, but sometimes owning a brand spanking new book is nice too. I buy almost all of my textbooks used.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I usually get new books, but I also go to the library a lot. Those are technically used books. I don’t mind having used books as long as they are in fairly good condition.
NelVel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelvel.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by NelVel »

i don't mind if the book is old or new, it is still a book and if it is interesting i will enjoy it. However, i need to admit that the smell of new book is quite tempting. :techie-studyingbrown: I had receive a used one from friend, but not as a present , just i simple gift.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

If there's a new copy available or it's a fairly new book, I'd like to get it new as a gift unless the person giving it doesn't have a lot of money (Books were a serious luxury for me at one point; if I bought more than one 4.99 Kindle book a month, that was splurging!)

Beyond that, though, I love love LOVE old and used books, particularly when there's a note in the front cover. Sometimes it's just an old name and address, but sometimes the book was given as a prize, and there's a note of that.

One of mine reads, "Awarded to XX in 19XX for excellent behavior at school" (can't remember the name or year and I'm in the middle of moving house, so I can't unpack the books just to check! I'm pretty sure it was the 1910s or 20s though).

My pride and joy, though, is a first edition of Jane the Popular by Evadne Price, and on the first page is written "To Harris + Con
with love Christmas 1939
(and what a Christmas, just full of peace & goodwill, and how!)
Evadne"

(Yes, that's the same Evadne Price who wrote the book! 1st edition, signed by the author, can't ask for more than that!)

But it makes me wonder, who were Harris and Con? How did they know the author? Same goes for the girl who received one of my books as a prize; did she have children? Grandchildren? What was she like? There's someone with a whole life and story who lived and died and who I'd never even have known about if it hadn't been for that one book (Okay, being a bit dramatic now, I admit :D It's still true!)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

JudasFm wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 01:20 If there's a new copy available or it's a fairly new book, I'd like to get it new as a gift unless the person giving it doesn't have a lot of money (Books were a serious luxury for me at one point; if I bought more than one 4.99 Kindle book a month, that was splurging!)

Beyond that, though, I love love LOVE old and used books, particularly when there's a note in the front cover. Sometimes it's just an old name and address, but sometimes the book was given as a prize, and there's a note of that.

One of mine reads, "Awarded to XX in 19XX for excellent behavior at school" (can't remember the name or year and I'm in the middle of moving house, so I can't unpack the books just to check! I'm pretty sure it was the 1910s or 20s though).

My pride and joy, though, is a first edition of Jane the Popular by Evadne Price, and on the first page is written "To Harris + Con
with love Christmas 1939
Evadne"

(Yes, that's the same Evadne Price who wrote the book! 1st edition, signed by the author, can't ask for more than that!)

But it makes me wonder, who were Harris and Con? How did they know the author? Same goes for the girl who received one of my books as a prize; did she have children? Grandchildren? What was she like? There's someone with a whole life and story who lived and died and who I'd never even have known about if it hadn't been for that one book (Okay, being a bit dramatic now, I admit :D It's still true!)
This is a repost of something I wrote a long time ago in an OBC thread regarding inscriptions in books.

Last Christmas an internet friend sent me a very old copy of Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. On the inside front cover is the inscription, To Margaret with love from Grace - Oct. 17, 1900. The book is in very good shape but does show signs of wear so I know it has definitely been read many times. It is small, hard-bound, and has a cloth cover with a beige and gold background pattern and small roses on it. It must have been beautiful when it was new. I imagine Margaret was a child but the handwriting is a beautiful flowing script which was definitely written by an adult.

One hundred and [eighteen] years ago, before Orville and Wilber flew the first plane; before automobiles; before paved streets; before electricity was in homes; when horses pulled carts and buggies down city avenues; and before two world wars, someone named Grace gave this book as a gift. Obviously both of these people are no longer with us, and I will never know who Margaret and Grace were, but I award this book an honored place on my bookshelves with other "special" books out of respect for the love with which it was originally given to Margaret, and a century later, to me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

DATo wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 02:14
JudasFm wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 01:20 If there's a new copy available or it's a fairly new book, I'd like to get it new as a gift unless the person giving it doesn't have a lot of money (Books were a serious luxury for me at one point; if I bought more than one 4.99 Kindle book a month, that was splurging!)

with love Christmas 1939
Evadne"

This is a repost of something I wrote a long time ago in an OBC thread regarding inscriptions in books.

Last Christmas an internet friend sent me a very old copy of Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. On the inside front cover is the inscription, To Margaret with love from Grace - Oct. 17, 1900. The book is in very good shape but does show signs of wear so I know it has definitely been read many times. It is small, hard-bound, and has a cloth cover with a beige and gold background pattern and small roses on it. It must have been beautiful when it was new. I imagine Margaret was a child but the handwriting is a beautiful flowing script which was definitely written by an adult.

One hundred and [eighteen] years ago, before Orville and Wilber flew the first plane; before automobiles; before paved streets; before electricity was in homes; when horses pulled carts and buggies down city avenues; and before two world wars, someone named Grace gave this book as a gift. Obviously both of these people are no longer with us, and I will never know who Margaret and Grace were, but I award this book an honored place on my bookshelves with other "special" books out of respect for the love with which it was originally given to Margaret, and a century later, to me.

Love this. :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

I usually buy new books but I probably should look into used books because it’s cheaper and easier!
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

DATo wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 02:14 Last Christmas an internet friend sent me a very old copy of Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. On the inside front cover is the inscription, To Margaret with love from Grace - Oct. 17, 1900. The book is in very good shape but does show signs of wear so I know it has definitely been read many times. It is small, hard-bound, and has a cloth cover with a beige and gold background pattern and small roses on it. It must have been beautiful when it was new. I imagine Margaret was a child but the handwriting is a beautiful flowing script which was definitely written by an adult.

This puts what I feel and wanted to say much better and more succinctly than I managed ;)
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I buy used book because it's cheaper but I will not give it as a gift unless it is the first edition of a popular book and it is a book that can be appreciated by the receiver.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I buy both but mostly used if I am not such a huge fan of the author. Some used books could pass for new so I see no reason to waste money buying new ones.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Usually I buy them new because I will only buy a hardcopy of a book if I have read it & plan on rereading or continuing the series. Otherwise I will read on ebooks or iBooks but if I like it a new hardcopy will be bought.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I remember as a child my grandmother would take us around town to garage sales on Saturday. I loved getting "new" books for ten to twenty cents apiece. I still always check for books at neighborhood garage sales or thrift stores.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I don't mind either but personally, newer releases were bought brand new, and older books have been bought at book sales or garage sales.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I have both and I prefer new books because it creates a sense of newness and leaves room for developing own fresh imaginations as it is not marked already. And, i would also give a new book as gifts.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I buy both but often prefer a used book. It's even better if a previous owner has underlined or highlighted- I like to see what interested someone else -and it gives the book another story.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”