Do you buy your books used or new?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Re: Do you buy your books used or new?

Post by chupke07 »

Kyle22 wrote: 24 Nov 2007, 19:44 Do you buy your books used or new? Do you mind getting used books? Would you ever give a used book as a gift?
I love buying used books. They are already broken in so I don't have to feel bad if they get creased. I have also always bought used books for my nephews since their interests change so quickly I don't want to spend twenty dollars on every book for them.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I never buy new books. At times I go to a new bookstore, take a picture of the book I want to read then go home and buy it used online. I adore used book sales though and have found so many great copies of my favorites. I'm also an ebay seller, so I have come home with thousands of books to sort through and keep my favorites =)
Used books have character, personality and are just as good.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

I often prefer new books. There is something about being the first one to open that book and read those pages. I know it is silly but I like the feel of that brand new book in my hands.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I've never minded old books. If all the pages are there, I'm happy. Most of the books I own are books I got from retirement homes where they want to give the books away. I always grab them up because all those books are so well loved.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I have never had the opportunity to buy a used book, but I don't see any problem with it as long as it's in good condition.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

My pocketbook prefers used books or library books. However, there are certain books that have come out where I will spend the extra money to purchase in hardcover or new in paperback.
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

I usually always buy used. This is mostly because of cost. I definitely don't complain is someone gives me a new book! But I rarely buy them myself. As someone else said, used books so have history and are somehow cozy, so I really don't mind having used books.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I love used books. My favorites are old library books, especially the older ones where the people checking them out had to sign their names. My favorite actually came from the same high school my mom went to.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

If I buy a book, it's used. I don't know about buying used ones as gifts though...
_mylilyotv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by _mylilyotv »

I tend to buy most of my books from local charity shops, a good 80% my books are from there.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

I don’t mind used books, but I prefer new. Used means loved to me, but sometimes people are careless. I once bought a used book only to notice later the pages were falling out. Used shouldn’t mean abused. :cry:
JoeyG01
Currently Reading:

Post by JoeyG01 »

Usually used. There's a used bookstore local to me that literally has thousands and thousands of books. You can spend a good hour in there just walking around and browsing. The prices amazing, the cheapest book I've bought from there was The Autobiography of Malcom X for 75cents. You can also trade back the books you've read and get instore credit for them, so I kind of treat it like a library.
CrimsonPrincess24
Currently Reading: success bound
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by CrimsonPrincess24 »

I have used and new books but I mostly buy used books especially in booksale because it is a lot more cheaper.
amyv98
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amyv98 »

I really don't think much about the condition of a book before I read it; as I've said a dozen times before, as long as all the pages are there and in the right order, the condition doesn't matter. As long as the content is the same and I'm not potentially missing any details because of missing or torn pages, it's completely fine. Of course, if I can get my hands on a new book, I do find it more satisfying.. But at the same time, it's quite stressful because I'm always worried about keeping it in good condition. Used books are usually cheaper and for the most part whole, so I try to go with those.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

I try to buy books used for the price point, but I often end up getting them knew if I'm really attached to a certain series.
"No way but forward!"

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”