Read-Alongs/Buddy Reads/Co-Reads, anyone?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you interested in participating in a Read-Along/Buddy Read?

Yes
8
50%
No
1
6%
Maybe
7
44%
 
Total votes: 16

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 31121
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 880
Location: In A Good Book

Read-Alongs/Buddy Reads/Co-Reads, anyone?

Post by Gravy » 26 May 2018, 03:54

Are any of you lovely people interested in participating in this sort of thing?


(For those who don't know what they are, two or more people read the same book, at the same time, and discuss it.)


Opinions? Would you participate in one? Start one?
If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

User avatar
Adeniyi2814
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 May 2018, 12:10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adeniyi2814 » 26 May 2018, 12:16

:techie-studyingbrown: I will like to participate in one...

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31533
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1832
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 26 May 2018, 23:06

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 31121
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 880
Location: In A Good Book

Post by Gravy » 27 May 2018, 03:36

(Given how many people want to read certain books (The Memory Painter for instance), I would think this would be more popular. :lol: )

Anyone interested in forcing me to finally read IT?
If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31533
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1832
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 27 May 2018, 03:38

Gravy wrote:
27 May 2018, 03:36
(Given how many people want to read certain books (The Memory Painter for instance), I would think this would be more popular. :lol: )

Anyone interested in forcing me to finally read IT?
Maybe you should add a poll to your first post. :eusa-think:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 31121
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 880
Location: In A Good Book

Post by Gravy » 27 May 2018, 03:41

gali wrote:
27 May 2018, 03:38
Gravy wrote:
27 May 2018, 03:36
(Given how many people want to read certain books (The Memory Painter for instance), I would think this would be more popular. :lol: )

Anyone interested in forcing me to finally read IT?
Maybe you should add a poll to your first post. :eusa-think:
I should have done that first off.
I must be coffee deficient. :lol:
If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31533
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1832
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 27 May 2018, 03:50

Voted yes! :)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Mely918
Posts: 273
Joined: 14 May 2018, 19:15
Currently Reading: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: Poems to Live by! by Cynthia Aholelei

Post by Mely918 » 01 Jun 2018, 00:37

I only ever tried to do that once with a friend. It didn't work out for me, since I prefer to experience the adventures of a book on my own first before sharing it with someone else. I'm fine with discussing it later, but simply don't like reading the same book with someone at the same time.

User avatar
PlanetHauth
Posts: 194
Joined: 31 Jan 2018, 12:06
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Curly Girl
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Location: USA

Post by PlanetHauth » 09 Jun 2018, 23:07

I think this could be fun! I usually talk about the books I read with my husband or friends, but my husband doesn't read a lot right now because the Navy demands pretty much all of his free time, and he doesn't read the same things I do (outside of Sci-Fi/Fantasy). This would be a great way to improve book review skills too, I think, because having different perspectives being discussed can help some think of things in a different light than they normally would.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Kelsey anne
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Jun 2018, 22:50
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by Kelsey anne » 18 Jun 2018, 23:05

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I would be very interested in a reading buddy. I tend to read rather quickly because once I begin a good book I don't want to put it down until it is finished. I do read many different types of books from biographies to comics to love stories, thrillers and so on. Is there anyone else who is interested in a reading buddy? and if so what types of books are you interested in? :)

Kelsey anne
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Jun 2018, 22:50
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by Kelsey anne » 19 Jun 2018, 11:16

PlanetHauth wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:07
I think this could be fun! I usually talk about the books I read with my husband or friends, but my husband doesn't read a lot right now because the Navy demands pretty much all of his free time, and he doesn't read the same things I do (outside of Sci-Fi/Fantasy). This would be a great way to improve book review skills too, I think, because having different perspectives being discussed can help some think of things in a different light than they normally would.
would you be interested in co reading with me? are there any books that look interesting to you?

User avatar
PlanetHauth
Posts: 194
Joined: 31 Jan 2018, 12:06
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Curly Girl
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Location: USA

Post by PlanetHauth » 21 Jun 2018, 01:07

Kelsey anne wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 11:16
PlanetHauth wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:07
I think this could be fun! I usually talk about the books I read with my husband or friends, but my husband doesn't read a lot right now because the Navy demands pretty much all of his free time, and he doesn't read the same things I do (outside of Sci-Fi/Fantasy). This would be a great way to improve book review skills too, I think, because having different perspectives being discussed can help some think of things in a different light than they normally would.
would you be interested in co reading with me? are there any books that look interesting to you?
I would love to! I'll read almost anything, non-fiction not included. My favorite is Sci-Fi/Fantasy, closely followed by romance/erotica, but I love a good mystery or thriller too.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Kelsey anne
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Jun 2018, 22:50
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by Kelsey anne » 21 Jun 2018, 01:32

PlanetHauth wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 01:07
Kelsey anne wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 11:16
PlanetHauth wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:07
I think this could be fun! I usually talk about the books I read with my husband or friends, but my husband doesn't read a lot right now because the Navy demands pretty much all of his free time, and he doesn't read the same things I do (outside of Sci-Fi/Fantasy). This would be a great way to improve book review skills too, I think, because having different perspectives being discussed can help some think of things in a different light than they normally would.
would you be interested in co reading with me? are there any books that look interesting to you?
I would love to! I'll read almost anything, non-fiction not included. My favorite is Sci-Fi/Fantasy, closely followed by romance/erotica, but I love a good mystery or thriller too.
great! I read everything :) I haven't read any good romance novels lately though. You can choose a book for us to begin reading together and if all goes well I will choose the next one :) I'm excited to begin co reading with you and it will be fun to compare our perspectives

Kelsey anne
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Jun 2018, 22:50
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by Kelsey anne » 21 Jun 2018, 01:52

perfect! you choose the first book for us to read together :) I am excited to begin co reading with you and it will be fun to compare our perspectives

User avatar
PlanetHauth
Posts: 194
Joined: 31 Jan 2018, 12:06
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Curly Girl
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Location: USA

Post by PlanetHauth » 21 Jun 2018, 21:31

Kelsey anne wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 01:32
PlanetHauth wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 01:07
Kelsey anne wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 11:16


would you be interested in co reading with me? are there any books that look interesting to you?
I would love to! I'll read almost anything, non-fiction not included. My favorite is Sci-Fi/Fantasy, closely followed by romance/erotica, but I love a good mystery or thriller too.
great! I read everything :) I haven't read any good romance novels lately though. You can choose a book for us to begin reading together and if all goes well I will choose the next one :) I'm excited to begin co reading with you and it will be fun to compare our perspectives
Sounds good! I'll start looking for a book for us, then.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Post Reply

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”