Books you have bought but haven't read yet

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kiki7468
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books you have bought but haven't read yet

Post by Kiki7468 »

I have an evergrowing stack of books that I haven't read or have partially read. And it only gets worse every time I go to the used bookstore.

My list:

Iliad
Odyssey
Confederacy of Dunces (read half)
Fast Food Nation (read half)
Ghost Wars
Secret Agent - Conrad
The Holographic Universe
Notes From the Underground - Dostoevsky
Brave New World
Art of War
The Prince - Machiavelli (read half)
Walden (read about 1/3)
Leaves of Grass
A People's History of the United States (read parts sporatically)
Lies My Teacher Told Me (read parts sporatically)
Koran
Bible (finished the New Testament, still working on the Old Testament)
1984 (currently reading and almost finished)

And the sad thing is I know there's more that I haven't listed and I'm about to buy Crime and Punishment. haha
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Tell me about it! I have a habit of buying a book almost every week despite the fact that i have over a hundred books on my TBR list but im a fast enough reader and buying books is enough of a hobby alone to make it worth it. :)
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:Tell me about it! I have a habit of buying a book almost every week despite the fact that i have over a hundred books on my TBR list but im a fast enough reader and buying books is enough of a hobby alone to make it worth it. :)
Tell me about it ... going to have to get more shelves
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I get most of the books from the library which helps me to avoid the piling up of books I haven't read. It encourages me to read them in the order I pick them out as well, since I will return them. When you buy a book, you can keep telling yourself you will read it some other time. With the library, you have a due date that helps encourage you to actually read it now.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Fran

Post by Fran »

Scott Hughes wrote:I get most of the books from the library which helps me to avoid the piling up of books I haven't read. It encourages me to read them in the order I pick them out as well, since I will return them. When you buy a book, you can keep telling yourself you will read it some other time. With the library, you have a due date that helps encourage you to actually read it now.
I'm a regular library fan but it does'nt stop me having shelves of books ... I just love the feeling of security it gives me knowing that I have an adequate stock of unread & 'to be reread someday' books to hand in case the sky falls in & I'm grounded for a few weeks.
I probably do need therapy but I'm happy in my psychosis and it's a harmless enough obsession! :D :D :D
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:
Scott Hughes wrote:I get most of the books from the library which helps me to avoid the piling up of books I haven't read. It encourages me to read them in the order I pick them out as well, since I will return them. When you buy a book, you can keep telling yourself you will read it some other time. With the library, you have a due date that helps encourage you to actually read it now.
I'm a regular library fan but it does'nt stop me having shelves of books ... I just love the feeling of security it gives me knowing that I have an adequate stock of unread & 'to be reread someday' books to hand in case the sky falls in & I'm grounded for a few weeks.
I probably do need therapy but I'm happy in my psychosis and it's a harmless enough obsession! :D :D :D
Well said Fran! I use the library too but usually only for books that im pretty sure i wont want to read again, i prefer having my shelves of books, including my King collection, as motivation to keep on reading.
You only live once.....so live!
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

I have only read half of the books i have and i buy at least three a week. When i do read it and if it's good it goes on a "permanent" book shelf, because i feel like i have to own it. If it's bad i take it to this bookstore and he gives me credit for the book so i can exchange it, with no charge, for more books. I kind of feel like he's my librarian...it's a healthy agreement.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Tomasaki

Post by Tomasaki »

I think Erasmus said it when he wrote, "When I have a little money, I buy books. If any left over I buy clothes and food." (haha, I have a bookmark with those words!)

I currently have on my shelf...

Johnny Tremain (I read most of it a long time ago, but I never finished it)
Tangerine (I keep picking this one up, but I never get to the end)
The Visitation by Peretti
The Lost World
Congo
The DaVinci Code
Persuader
The Closers
Echo Park

And those are only ones that I've bought. I'm borrowing The Bones of Makaidos, Eternity's Edge, DragonLight, Left Behind, and Salem's Lot from various friends, and Speaker for the Dead and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch from the library. Of those I'm currently reading (meaning I try and get to them every night), only Salem's Lot and ...Palmer Eldritch are seeing any use.

It's crazy!
Alexa12345

Post by Alexa12345 »

Kiki7468 wrote:I have an evergrowing stack of books that I haven't read or have partially read. And it only gets worse every time I go to the used bookstore.

My list:

Iliad
Odyssey
Confederacy of Dunces (read half)
Fast Food Nation (read half)
Ghost Wars
Secret Agent - Conrad
The Holographic Universe
Notes From the Underground - Dostoevsky
Brave New World
Art of War
The Prince - Machiavelli (read half)
Walden (read about 1/3)
Leaves of Grass
A People's History of the United States (read parts sporatically)
Lies My Teacher Told Me (read parts sporatically)
Koran
Bible (finished the New Testament, still working on the Old Testament)
1984 (currently reading and almost finished)

And the sad thing is I know there's more that I haven't listed and I'm about to buy Crime and Punishment. haha
The idiot
The monastery of Parma
Great expectations
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

The Pilgrimage By P. Ceolho
A Child Called Freedom by Carol Lee
and Pride and Prejudice
bobjuck

Post by bobjuck »

Little Women, that the book i remember. :oops:
Fran

Post by Fran »

Tomasaki wrote:I think Erasmus said it when he wrote, "When I have a little money, I buy books. If any left over I buy clothes and food." (haha, I have a bookmark with those words!)
... And a book was a significant investment in the 1500's
- My Home by Clive James
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

You don't know how happy it makes me to know that many people buy books and have them sit on shelves. I'm a bookstore junkie, every Sunday night I can be found in one of our local B&N or Borders drinking coffee and perusing the book shelves. Oddly enough I always find a book I'd like to read then I think "But I have so many" and then "If I don't buy it I'll forget about this one". So I have bookshelves with unread books that I have every intention of read so long as I figure out how to extend my time above dirt indefinitely.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

I stopped keeping a list because I was adding like three books a day, and I had to start advertising them by genre, and next thing I knew I had an excel spreadsheet open that was three pages long and I realized "This is WAY too much work!"

Me and my wife used to go to Barnes and Noble and just sit there for half a day and read. Saw a lot of cool books I'd love to check out there.

Honestly, I think heaven is a bookstore with a cumfy chair and free soda. :)
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Lol. Quite clever :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”