Fiction or non-fiction?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
YinDragon_76
Currently Reading: Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yindragon-76.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Fiction or non-fiction?

Post by YinDragon_76 »

Hello and happy Friday!

I want to pose two separate questions in this thread.

Firstly, of all the books you've read, were more of them fictional novels or of the non-fictional type? Personally I've read more novels in my life, but I have become much more interested in reading non-fiction in the past several years. I love reading books concerning real world issues which also offer possible solutions to them, especially regarding things like health and environmental problems; I also enjoy those which present a philosophical debate and challenge one's thinking.

And secondly, are there any particular writers of non-fiction whom (or specific books that) had and impact on you and you would recommend to others?

I'd love to find more thought-provoking books to read so I'm looking forward to your replies! Happy reading :lire4:
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I read overwhelmingly fiction; non-fiction doesn't tend to hold my attention anywhere near as well. I tend to scratch that itch by reading a lot of news, which is easier to digest.
sis_riehle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sis-riehle.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by sis_riehle »

I personally always tend to read fiction. For me reading is a way to get away from the normal everyday problems of the world. I wanna relax and get taken off to some fantastic other world! I guess that's why I still enjoy reading, video games, and anime the way I do even in my late 20's. It allows my imagination to wander off somewhere and flex it's muscles. I go back to flexing my brain against real life problems afterwards. :techie-studyingbrown:
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I read fiction for fun. As a teacher, I am also exposed to a lot of non-fiction. I prefer biographies or books on historical events. I have the entire Time-Life series on the Civil War as well as a great collection on world civilizations that I use in my classroom.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I read mostly fictions. Of course I read non-fictions as well, and while I find them interesting, I simply can not stick to them for long. Also I tend to read non-fictions very slowly. As a result, say I start two books today, one fiction, the other one non-fiction. I will invariably finish the fiction first and go on to the next fiction, while I inch my way through the non-fiction one. After a few weeks, I lose patience and leave the book. Meanwhile I have probably read about 4/5 fictions. I am seriously trying to change this habit. May be I should stick to one book at a time, in that way I'll not be lured away!
Kcblough
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kcblough »

I read way more fiction than non-fiction. To me, real life is so serious and frustrating and REAL that I feel like I need a break from it. I love escaping into other worlds and falling in love with fictional characters. One of my favorite non-fiction books, however, has been Tattoos on the Heart by Father Greg Boyle. I worked in a job training program for young adults coming out of prison and it is something close to my heart. I also really loved this book I read some years ago called Walking the Color Line, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere recently (I looked into it for my daughters). It's about a guy who was half Black, but his father was very light-skinned and passed off as Italian. It was during the 50's, his parents split up and the mother left. When he went to go love with his dad's family he found out he was really Black. It was fascinating to be in his head and go through the responses and growth he was forced to go through. If I find the author and book, I'll update this!
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Fiction! Unless it's memoir-type essays... then non-fiction. I guess I love both sometimes.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

Fiction is just more interesting for me. I think I've only read non-fiction if it were a requirement for a class I was taking.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Both. Fiction takes me to different worlds and none fiction provides knowledge.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I will read some non-fiction authors, like Lysa TerKeurst or Nicki Koziarz, but aside from a few exceptions, I am always reading fiction.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I try to read both sinultaneously. Fiction allow me develop imagination while non-fiction give me knowledge through other people's life stories.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I read mostly fiction for pleasure. The non-fiction I read is typically for professional development. If you're interested in evidence-based books about trauma and mental health, I have quite a few recommendations!
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

If I factor in school then I've read more non-fiction books, otherwise, it's fiction for me. Creative works of art are my thing for sure.
Cassidy Simpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimpson97.html
Latest Review: Another Poor Cow by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by Cassidy Simpson »

I like both. My favorite form of fiction is realistic so I might like nonfiction a little more.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

Both fiction and non-fiction are actually for me. I really don't mind if it is either.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”