do you still go to library for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: do you still go to library for a book

Post by srividyag1 »

I love visiting libraries. When I was a teenager and in college, I used to borrow books almost every week. But in my current city there's a dearth of good libraries. So whenever they conduct a book fair, I make it a point to haul as many books as I can and fill my room with enough books for the entire year.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I enjoy our local libraries. My children and go every week. They have fun programs for the kids, a lot of great children's books, and an awesome young adult section for my son (and for me). I live two blocks away from the library, so it is an easy and fun things to do with the kids. That being said, I get more e-books than library books.
Mara Skywalker
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara-skywalker.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Mara Skywalker »

Of course!!! That was my first thought when I saw this topic. Who doesn't?! As a child, I practically lived there :D
I recently moved to a new city and sought out the library immediately... There are many reasons why I can't imagine to not take advantage of a library:
- buying all the books I read would be too expensive (a girl has to eat :wink: )
- I wouldn't have enough space for all books
- the atmosphere there is just special and inspiring
- hunting for new reading ideas
- automatic access to an online library which is even bigger
- I pay like 24€ a year and have endless access to endless reading material
ems1schafer
Currently Reading: Labyrinth
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ems1schafer »

Our public library and school library systems are awesome, so of course I use them. They have quite a few of the books that I want to read, and if they don't have a book, they will use the consortium of libraries to see if they can borrow it from another library for me. Our school library will even buy a book if they hear some students are interested in it because they are always looking for new ideas.
Cristina Biel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Biel »

Yes! There's a library in my University, which I enjoy pretty much spending time there. Either if it's just for relaxing, get to see the new books or for academic purposes, I like very much going.
Although they have enormous amounts of books of various topics, I always go to the Literature shelves. It's the most remote zone of the Library and it particularly quiet. I know it's confusing and paradoxic but the sound of the silence there always calms my mind and my soul. It's no need to say that I feel kind of safe around so many books and, even I do have an e-reader, sometimes I go to the library to borrow a book that gets my attention during these days I spend time here.
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

I live right next to library and I'm starting to think I spend more time there then at my own house. Libraries have just always been a safe haven for me.
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

Libraries are lovely, although I just moved to Germany and don't have a library card here. It'd cost 10 euros. In Finland I have 5 library cards, to 3 different cities and 2 different university libraries. There the card is free though, I don't understand Germany.
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

I usually only go to my local municipal to collect a book Or DVD that I have reserved. I generally trawl the local charity shop for most of my books. BTW I just love librarians.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I noticed a book that looked very interesting while browsing in a thrift store. Unfortunately, the book was already in someone else's shopping cart at the time, lol
wendy h25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by wendy h25 »

Yep I still do! It's convenient for me since I live down the street from my local library.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

I love going to a library and picking between different titles, it's awesome! but now it's getting expensive hahaha so I just got a library card on my city to borrow books. My pocket will thank me later ;)
naturalmama81
Currently Reading: Different
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naturalmama81.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by naturalmama81 »

I do! My kids and I visit the library on a weekly basis. One of our favorite places!
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I don't anymore which is a great shame! I used to love doing so, the thrill of searching for a good book and coming back home with it.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I haven’t gone to a library in a while because they aren’t any near my house. I have a card to one, but I’ve mainly been using that to get ebooks through an app. I do love libraries, though. Hopefully I’ll get to spend more time in them once I go to my university.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Yes! I used to walk the shelves and just pick a book but now I request a hold for the book based on a recommendation from someone or found it on a reading list from pinterest

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”