When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RobertManchester
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robertmanchester.html

Re: When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Post by RobertManchester »

I do not think I would force them I fear it may put them off
ramesh009

Post by ramesh009 »

yes i give them best knowledge about reading because reading is an adventure that never ends
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I taught them by EXAMPLE................they are great readers today............

Ive read 100 books per year for most of my life...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

While I don't have kids yet, I would love it if they read. Of course, they would have to enjoy it, and then I certainly wouldn't force them to read, since that could be a chore. If you introduce them to reading early on than they have a better chance of sticking with it later in life. I went through a period during my teen years where I didn't read at all (I was to interested in my ipod at the time), though once I got into college I started reading a lot more, and now I read all of the time.
Darling_Reads
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darling-reads.html
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Darling_Reads »

When my kids were younger and couldn't read to themselves I read them books every night before bed. I model to them reading constantly. I always have something that I am reading. My oldest son does not read as much as I did when I was a kid but he does occasionally find a book series that he will read for pleasure. That is probably more than some kids. The younger of the two likes to read but prefers to draw.
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
Rebeckah

Post by Rebeckah »

I will teach them if they decide to stick with it that will be great but it's up to them. However I will do all I can to get them started. First read to them, then have them to read back to me and aloud to themselves, and then have read-times scheduled as a normal part of the day or week so that they will be introduced (not forced just introduced) to reading as a habitual pastime. I think it will be a great asset to them.
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I sure am. I'll help start the process so that they can get lost in the world of books for themselves.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
caitie520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitie520.html

Post by caitie520 »

My mom always read to me as a child and that's how I developed a love for books. I am probably going to read to my own children first and then if they enjoy that then I'll pick out books for them and get them more interested in reading.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Well , I'm far from having kids now , but I will surely read to them when they are young as everyone else said.

My father was a writer and he used to read a lot and he owns a huge library (probably a thousand book) and my mother anr older siblings all read so I kind of picked up the habit. However , my little brother now hates reading . And when I do read to him he says it's boring and asks me to stop reading . I do not pressure him to read/listen to me reading but I would've loved if he enjoyed reading as much as I do. I hope he will change his mind when he is a bit older.
amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by amen jamir »

When I have kids....hopefully I will.. I will make it a point to let them read. Picture books can be great for beginners. Ah! I might even buy them books for birthdays if they like to read. :D
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

I'm not going to make them read, but in my experience being read to and being surrounded by books pretty much ensures that you're going to grow up being a reader. Either way, I'm not going to force them into reading, that's definitely not the way to go about things.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

I would definitely introduce them to good books and wait and see if it interests them. I have promised myself to gift them book on their birthdays, lol that is when I have kids :lol:
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
LMNB84

Post by LMNB84 »

If you read to them when they are little it seems like they take to it more as they grow up. Like anything with kids, you can guide them but they ultimately are their own person. They will like what suits them and it's best to give them room to be who they are.
AlexaCata
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexacata.html

Post by AlexaCata »

I'm definitely going to read to them, my mom used to read to me different stories when I was little and she made me love reading . Children usually adopt their parents's habits so I think it will help them. :)
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

I don't think I will force them to read, but I will definitely encourage it.
I personally will not be giving my children any i-anything devices or droids or any of the new technologies till they are much older than a lot of the children I see around town.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”