Are the teenagers still reading books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ducky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ducky »

I think HOW they're going to read books is changing - but the day people stop reading is the end of the world for me.
YellowButterfly85

Post by YellowButterfly85 »

I recently read somewhere that this teen generation is the generation of the readers. I kind of have to agree. One of my friends has a younger sister, and she's always reading books that have been recommended to her by girls at school. Some of the books I have read, like "Pretty Little Liars" is a big one (they read just about every topic from sex to drugs). A new book that teens should read is one that was recently given to me. It's a suspense by a new author, Virginia Frazier, called "Wavering." If anyone has ever worried about their young daughters dating in this crazy world, then you should read this.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Ducky wrote:I think HOW they're going to read books is changing - but the day people stop reading is the end of the world for me.
I totally agree, today's kids are more exposed to the world than kids were ever before. And they read a lot, no matter if it is in printed form or in electronic.
Alexa12345

Post by Alexa12345 »

Dina wrote:I recently read somewhere that this teen generation is the generation of the readers. I kind of have to agree. One of my friends has a younger sister, and she's always reading books that have been recommended to her by girls at school. Some of the books I have read, like "Pretty Little Liars" is a big one (they read just about every topic from sex to drugs). A new book that teens should read is one that was recently given to me. It's a suspense by a new author, Virginia Frazier, called "Wavering." If anyone has ever worried about their young daughters dating in this crazy world, then you should read this.
Hmmm, you know a happy example, but i'm afraid that the teens that i got to know don't read anymore nothing but in the happiest way, blogs and internet pages, but not even books online.
I'm afraid for the future or culture and the development of the teens at this age.
And i know since i was a teen: i loved reading, i was "eating" books, but if it was for school i was pulling back.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Also, teens now prefer movies more as that is less time consuming and more animating..
BambiA93

Post by BambiA93 »

Dina wrote:I recently read somewhere that this teen generation is the generation of the readers. I kind of have to agree. One of my friends has a younger sister, and she's always reading books that have been recommended to her by girls at school. Some of the books I have read, like "Pretty Little Liars" is a big one (they read just about every topic from sex to drugs). A new book that teens should read is one that was recently given to me. It's a suspense by a new author, Virginia Frazier, called "Wavering." If anyone has ever worried about their young daughters dating in this crazy world, then you should read this.
I have to agree that although teenagers might be reading different kinds of books than what maybe what their parents read, they're still reading, which is what's important, right? I have read Wavering, and I have to say that it scared me to think that one day what happened to Joy could happen to me. I couldn't stop reading it from day one of getting it in the mail from Amazon. It's a great book.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Sounds good, I'll add wavering in my to-be-read books..
Muerto

Post by Muerto »

Of course not! Well.... I guess I"m just speaking for myself I'm not sure if many kids where I live read books. I have a fantastic library in my school, I think of it as my second home.
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

I'm fourteen, and I have loved reading since I was five. However, I regret to say that teenagers who read are a dying breed. I only know one other teenager that reads religiously, otherwise everyone I know hates books.
Zekes

Post by Zekes »

I think yes for as long as there is a good books to read then there will be teens will be hooked on it. Reading is fun and exciting hobby.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Most I know don't read, but there are still a few that love reading and aspire to write their own books.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

Alexa12345 wrote:Because now is said that they don't, because of the Inernet. Did the taste for a book dissapeared?
I have to disagree. I know a lot of teenagers and they enjoy reading a lot. From Wattpad books(either published or online, a big hit here in the Philippines) to new YA novels. I have to admit they are more updated when it comes to new books.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Plenty of teens still read. More of them are reading electronically, I think. If teens did not read, then I think books like Twilight, The Hunger Games, and Harry Potter would not be as popular as they are today.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

Definitely. I had some fantastic conversations with some of my teenage students. Some were exceptionally well read.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

I actually thought the answer was a loud and unhesitating NO, until I got into college. I found a lot of people who have a regular reading habit. Happy and pleased 😊😊

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”