What if you,Could not read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
6912dirtyfeet
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What if you,Could not read

Post by 6912dirtyfeet »

We all like to read right? So what would you do if you couldn't read like you do now. If you were so busy and didn;t have time to read or if no books were avalable to read. What would you do if something prevented you from being able to grab a book and sit down to read in your comfort zone. I personally could not live with out books that is my escape from everyday hassels and duties.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Wow, i'd probably die of boredom so i'd do whatever it took to get my hands on a book.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

If I find that I don't have the time to read, then I would grab an audiobook and read while working, but it depends on the kind of job that I would be doing.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Before there were written books, every culture had a form of storytelling. If somehow books disappeared, the storytellers would go on. And someone would eventually write the stories down. And then we would have books again!
Lizzie3
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie3.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Lizzie3 »

Reading books have become part and parcel of out lives today. Apart from killing boredom it has also improved our fluency in speaking English and other languages.living without it will just be a disaster!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I would simply listen to an audiobook if 'reading' was no longer an option. But if you say if books of all kinds were unavailable, then I would simply die out of boredom, and then at the last moment, I would get up and start writing a story myself!
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I probably wouldn't be the same person I am now without books. A lot of the stories I've read shaped me into the person I am now. I would probably be listening to even more music than I already do to pass the time if there were no books.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I have been in that situation and I must say, I did not perish of boredom. 😉 I was super excited when I did finally have time to get back to a book.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

If I couldn't read like I did now, then I would simply make up stories in my head.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

I can't imagine my life without books in it. If I couldn't read, my quality of life would suffer. I think it's a real privilege to be able to read within reason whatever I want though. Where I live in Ecuador, access to education is a lot better than it used to be, but even now, there are significant gaps in access . Even those that learn don't necessarily develop much beyond basic literacy. And for those that can and do read, books are a relatively expensive luxury item within the local economy.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

After my surgery I couldn't see well enough to read. It took me almost a year of recovery to read a novel again. When I could find the button for Siri on my phone I was able to download audio books, I listened to The Lord of the Rings and a few other books from my childhood. I wish I had learned Braille. I still want to someday, I worry I may lose my vision again one day or as I get older I might not be able to cope with it as well.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I'd die of boredom if there were no books in my life. There've been times where I'm fairly certain I'd have perished if I couldn't read. Dramatic, maybe. But also true :)
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

Having a physical book in your hand to read is the ideal situation but the basis of what makes a book is the story and there are different ways to get stories. Oral storytelling, movies, audiobooks and if all that was unavailable I would just daydream and create my own stories in my head.
RichardHaight
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Unbound Soul

Post by RichardHaight »

The most likely scenario here is going blind. I wonder how an avid reader who goes blind deals with not being able to read? Of course, there are audiobooks in many cases now, but would that satisfy an avid reader?
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

6912dirtyfeet wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 17:49 We all like to read right? So what would you do if you couldn't read like you do now. If you were so busy and didn;t have time to read or if no books were avalable to read. What would you do if something prevented you from being able to grab a book and sit down to read in your comfort zone. I personally could not live with out books that is my escape from everyday hassels and duties.
I would try to find a way to be able to read again.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”