Fantasy Books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fantasy Books

Post by suetropez »

I am curious. What do you look for when you read a fantasy novel?

Strange new worlds?

New and unusual characters or the same old same old, vampires, ghosts, werewolves, etc.?

Compelling story line or fun entertainment?

Star Wars type action or Comic book stories?
S.T. Holmes
Life is a dream, reality is what you make of it. :wine:
Odrizzle95

Post by Odrizzle95 »

Comic book stories even though mystery/fantasy books are my favorite.
suetropez

Post by suetropez »

Oh cool! Are you thinking more along the lines of the Marvel and DC comics or the Daisy Duke / Dilbert /Marmaduke type comics?
S.T. Holmes
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

As long as the story is original, the setting and characters can be anywhere and anything. Lots of authors “borrow” creatures from previous books, like orcs. Others come from legends, like dragons. It’s the new and original way they are used that makes a story interesting.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Yes, a new world is what I seek. Some dark characters, thrill, mystery, horror- everything! Yes I am quite satisfied with old vampires, werewolves, dragons etc, but a 'compelling storyline' is a must for me! It doesn't have to be fun, rather I prefer intense ones that makes even a make-believe world seem serious. I think the storyline is of utmost importance, even more so in case of fantasy books, because they help us to relate to the characters, since in the back of your mind you already know it is not real.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

All of the above! The draw to sci-fi/fantasy for me is how broad and extensive the genre can be. I love new worlds, different powers, exotic animals, space stories, and supernatural elements. Granted, every book, no matter the genre, should have a compelling and interesting storyline. Otherwise, it's boring and not worth my time.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I usually tend to read more high fantasy stories with new worlds and lots of imagination. I think imagination is the key element, because I've read urban fantasies and those can be as creative as high fantasy books. Interesting characters and complex stories are a must. It doesn't really matter if it's lighthearted or intense, I'll read it.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

I look for new and different from any previous storyline. I enjoy fantasy, mystery, crime thrillers but have not really ever found myself interested in horror. I don't mind the old vampires, ghosts and werewolves especially if there is a new twist to the story. Any storyline that can take me out of reality gets my thumbs up.
suetropez

Post by suetropez »

I love reading the comments above. They reflect my views on reading books as well as going to the movies. When I write, I want the reader to be transported away from their everyday life and become absorbed in the location and / or the characters in my book. I love putting them in situations that seem natural but then figure out how they can get out of the situations using unnatural events.

I am finishing the third book in my Creole Moon series and I hope it doesn't disappoint.
S.T. Holmes
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Fantasy is about the only genre I read. I don't like a lot of romance and I don't like love at first sight books. I need characters and relationships that are believable to me. I also need them to develop and grow along with the plot. And no filler!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Letora wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 06:18 Fantasy is about the only genre I read. I don't like a lot of romance and I don't like love at first sight books. I need characters and relationships that are believable to me. I also need them to develop and grow along with the plot. And no filler!
Fantasy is my favourite genre as well. I don't mind reading about romance or love stories but I like it when it happens within a fantasy book, preferably YA.
anitamills293
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitamills293.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by anitamills293 »

I actually don't look for something special. It should have a compelling plot and characters.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Fantasy books are not my thing, although I love fantasy; it's just hard for me to imagine fantastical stuff based on words alone so I tend to avoid that book genre altogether.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Leyla Ann wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 17:02 Fantasy books are not my thing, although I love fantasy; it's just hard for me to imagine fantastical stuff based on words alone so I tend to avoid that book genre altogether.
How interesting! I'm like that with hard sci-fi books. It's so hard for me to picture the technology and science that is brought into the heavy sci-fi genre.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

I don't usually read fantasy books but if the emotions are humane I do enjoy them. If the fantasy dominates emotions I will lose interest.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”