The Da Vinci Code

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

'A Florentine Death' by Michele Giuttari

Post by Fran »

PhotonicGuy wrote:No, I didn't read it. But what kind of book is this? Is it a detective story too? And what style does the author have? Unfortunately, I know nothing about this author.
Picked it up by pure chance in my local library & read it in a day & a half.
Somewhat on the lines of Da Vinci but IMO way better. A number of murders in Florence suggesting possibility of serial killer, corruption, antiques business, gangsterism, possibility of satanism, homophobia &, of course, the Catholic Church twist. Loads of detail on the city itself which the author clearly loves. Michele Giuttari is apparently a former head of the Police Force.

I just love when a book I pick up on pure impulse delivers a great read. I must go looking for more of Michele Giuttari ... and just to be frivolous his photo on the back cover of the edition I read really fits the image!

Loved the book & would love to hear others opinions especially anyone who has views on it versus DaVinci Code.
:wink: :wink:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
MaineTim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MaineTim »

I remember "The DaVinci Code" is a fun, fast read. The only other Dan Brown I've read was "Angels and Demons", which I didn't care for as much. Beyond that, I find Brown's prose style kind of awkward, and that has dampened my enthusiasm enough that I'll likely not try another. But "DaVinci" is worth some time in the shade on a summer day. :)
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

MaineTim wrote:... "The DaVinci Code" is a fun, fast read. The only other Dan Brown I've read was "Angels and Demons", which I didn't care for as much. Beyond that, I find Brown's prose style kind of awkward...
Exactly my thoughts. Da Vinci Code succeeded because it was the right plot at the right time, and it sold well despite Brown's prose. It also led people to buy his other books, which were not as good.
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I actually really enjoyed Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress but found Deception Point to be easily his weakest book, even worse than the Lost Symbol.
You only live once.....so live!
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Thanks Fran for your explanations. I was looking for this book , to read it and then to form an opinion about it. And we could talk about this afterward.
majinka

Post by majinka »

I am new to the forum and I found the Da Vinci Code thought provoking so I did some research and found a paper back titled THE SECRET HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY which gives the historical back ground into the Da Vinci code mystery of Mary Magdelane and alleged lineage through Rennes le Chateau and Sauniere. I am looking at my copy of the paperback and for those interested the ISBN is 978-1-84529-763-3. It is well worth the read and the book cost me £2.99p
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

PhotonicGuy wrote:Thanks Fran for your explanations. I was looking for this book , to read it and then to form an opinion about it. And we could talk about this afterward.
Sure ... looking forward to your views.
I tried my local library again for more of Michele Giuttari but without success ... I think I'll try Amazon
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

MaineTim wrote:I remember "The DaVinci Code" is a fun, fast read. The only other Dan Brown I've read was "Angels and Demons", which I didn't care for as much. Beyond that, I find Brown's prose style kind of awkward, and that has dampened my enthusiasm enough that I'll likely not try another. But "DaVinci" is worth some time in the shade on a summer day. :)
I wouldn't call it a fast read at all. When I first started it in 2006 I believe, I could hardly get past few pages and I couldn't comprehend it well. So I lost interest in it and put it aside. Then after two years or so, I picked it up again and then got through the whole book..

For me first two chapters are difficult to grasp but as you move on, the story starts making sense and it gets better and better.
majinka

Post by majinka »

Perhaps you should read the real background to the Da Vinci Code. I have a paperback The Secret History of Christianity by Malcolm Brocklehurst. I got is at £2.99 but due to its popularity its now £9.95 on Amazon...That life. Anyway its explains in laymens parlance all about the real Saunierre, and Mary Magdalene and the Knight Templars, not the hyped up rubbish in the novel. Get the paperback and enjoy the read as much as i did.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Yeah I would really want to read the background. Will check it out for sure. Thanks :)
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I have read it and quite enjoyed it but I don't understand why is it so popular. There are so many great books better than Da Vinci Code.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I still have The Lost Symbol in my to read pile on my kindle. Based on earlier comments here believe I will skip that and move on to Inferno first (Looks like that will be in theatres by Halloween.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
willo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by willo »

If you're a crypto-fan, enjoy implicit messaging and interested in code breaking, this story is for you.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I enjoyed it whilst accepting that he is using science/pseudo-science/conspiracy theories to his own ends, but he's not the only one. By the way some of the scenes were filmed in the cathedral in Lincoln which is only an hour's drive from where I live - I've often been there.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
shelidizel
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelidizel.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by shelidizel »

That is one hell of a story!!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”