The Da Vinci Code

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
PhotonicGuy
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Da Vinci Code

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Did you read "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown? What do you think about it?
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I have read the book and I have seen the film. A good detective story to watch and to read.
Just Me

Post by Just Me »

very predictable plot. I expected something better....
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Read in back in 2006 and thought it was fantastic, a real page turning thriller that made you think but on reflection a few years later i realise it doesnt quite deserve the hype lavished upon it back in the day plus the film didnt quite work for me, too much condensed into too little time.

Also, its a shame that Brown has become almost a cliche with the predictability of his latest books, i thought Lost Symbol was one of the worst books ever, you knew exactly what was going to happen and a strong sense of deja vu lingered over the book.
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I admit to having enjoyed the Da Vinci Code ... certainly not the best book ever written & not deserving of the mega publicity it got on it's release but for a lazy summer day when you don't want to tax the brain too much its an OK read.

Personally, I preferred Angels & Demons although as usual I was disappointed in the movie version and Tom Hanks is not one of my favourite actors
smellymonkey

Post by smellymonkey »

I really enjoyed it found it fast paced and gripping however i do agree that Angels and Demons was better and that The Lost Symbol was actually rubbish, completely ruining the first two books in the series. But i defiantly think The Da Vinci Code is worth reading.
layla74

Post by layla74 »

both the book and the film are fantastic ~~
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Thanks StephenKingman for the post . I just wanted to grab me to read The Lost Symbol, but if you tell me that it is a predictable book, then I will think a second time.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

PhotonicGuy wrote:Thanks StephenKingman for the post . I just wanted to grab me to read The Lost Symbol, but if you tell me that it is a predictable book, then I will think a second time.
Well thats just my own personal opinion, you could have a different interpretation of it and end up loving it! Its just for me, i think that Brown should stop writing novels with the whole "mysterious code" theme, it has reached its natural end in my opinion. But check it out for yourself!
You only live once.....so live!
lukebodell

Post by lukebodell »

To be honest, The Da Vinci Code was the first and only book I've read of Dan Brown, and it actually was rather gripping. He spins a good story, but I'm willing to bet the whole "mysterious code" thing as referred to before will get quite old. They are pretty much all action thrown in with a bit of conspiracy, and devoid of any deep reflections or philosophical content.
The films were rather tame also.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I thought it was good but not great. The thing that really annoyed me was the relationship between the 2 main characters- Sophie (?) was supposed to be intelligent but Robert had to explain everything to her like she was a simpleton. And that Mary Magdalene was supposed to carry on the church for Christ but somehow it turned into a Mary Magdalene worshipping religion in the book. That didn't make sense.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

The plot was pretty wretched, apart from the idea of Christ being married, which wasn't his to start with. However the action was fun, and the aura of mysticism was excellent.
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
~Elle~

Post by ~Elle~ »

A fast-paced, riveting story. Did not really like the movie. Take it with you when you're traveling!
Hikkomijian

Post by Hikkomijian »

I read it long time ago, and I my opinion it was a good book, maybe not gorgeous, but still I was reading it with joy.
Alex.uyi

Post by Alex.uyi »

gloriana wrote:I thought it was good but not great. The thing that really annoyed me was the relationship between the 2 main characters- Sophie (?) was supposed to be intelligent but Robert had to explain everything to her like she was a simpleton. And that Mary Magdalene was supposed to carry on the church for Christ but somehow it turned into a Mary Magdalene worshipping religion in the book. That didn't make sense.
this was truth about the 2 main characters and the story of Mary Magdalene turn everything in the book into a pagan christain religion book and the was also the main part that really make alot of people to read the book as well.........

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”