Does anyone else see a story vividly when they're reading it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Does anyone else see a story vividly when they're reading it?

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

You're not the only one who does this.

There. I said it. And I mean it. I do it too and sometimes I do see a film that is exactly, or close enough to, the way I saw it. The Harry Potter series is like that for me.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Yes, I have a very vivid imagination and can "see" the scenery and the characters. Some authors portray the scenery in such vivid detail, that I can even smell the plants blooming there, or the pine trees, or the rain. What a talent these authors have- to be able to transport you somewhere else.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

Your not the only one. Like you said its like a movie playing through your head. I dont always like it when they make books into a movie, it looks so much better in my head.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I definitely experience the same thing. I can picture it like a memory, a movie in my head. I can see the characters, I can see and feel every action and thought like it is my own.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I do. It's the reason the characters in the Harry Potter series look so different in my head as compared to the screen. Imagination is fun like that.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

You're definitely not the only one. When I read a book, it plays like a movie in my head, too. If the characters are strong enough, the plot is gripping, and I'm invested in the story, I can smell, hear, taste, and feel everything as the story unfolds. Sometimes, listening to music makes the experience more surreal, and when I hear that song, I am struck with the same feeling I had while reading that book when I'm not reading it, and I get nostalgic. I love it when a book captivates you that much it becomes a vivid experience while reading, and you forget yourself for a while.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Yes. It happens to me always when I read books.
Moreover, it happens to me even when I read science (for example,history) books.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

This is what I love most about reading, it is very visual to me. I also "become" the narrator or the main character in my mind (that sounds kind of nuts typing it out!) as I'm reading so I feel immersed in it.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

yup! and most of the time my personal imagery not only differs from the movie version (if there is one) but remains independent. Sometimes the movie/tv version will influence my imagination but not of the time not.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

Sarah G wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:34 So I was talking to my partner about what it is like for me to read books and realized the experience for him is very different and now I'm not sure if I'm just weird.

When I read I kind of see what's happening as I'm reading it. Like a little movie in my head. Which is why so far I haven't found any book to movie adaptations quite right, as I already have a look and voice for the characters I read. I find this really helps me get lost in the world created in a book and I get really invested in the characters.

Please say I'm not the only one that does this?
You are not alone. I visualize the events naturally as I read them. Including the buildings and almost everything as the author describes them.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”