Does anyone else see a story vividly when they're reading it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Does anyone else see a story vividly when they're reading it?

Post by Sarah G »

So I was talking to my partner about what it is like for me to read books and realized the experience for him is very different and now I'm not sure if I'm just weird.

When I read I kind of see what's happening as I'm reading it. Like a little movie in my head. Which is why so far I haven't found any book to movie adaptations quite right, as I already have a look and voice for the characters I read. I find this really helps me get lost in the world created in a book and I get really invested in the characters.

Please say I'm not the only one that does this?
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Definitely not the only one! I hear their voices, see the setting, clothing, see the emotions that run across their faces. . . So, I completely agree about when adaptations are made. The voices always get me!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Oh thankfully I'm not alone :-D. Yes! Even when they use the same lines from the book it just doesn't sound right does it?
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

Yes! I was trying to explain this to my coworkers the other day and they looked at me like I was insane! But I think that's the best part about reading, it's like a movie in your head!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This is me, too. I definitely prefer books because I can enjoy the pictures in my head far longer. And movie adaptations are always so disappointing when I feel like I’m in the film instead of just a viewer.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have always been able to see pictures in my head while reading. This was so natural to me that I never even gave it a concious thought until much later. While I did, I found I have mental pictures of almost every book, and often they do not match wih the author's version or the movie. I used to have problems with this, but later I tried to accept all the imagery, both mine and others'. When I don't see pictures that means either I am not concentrating enough or the book is uninteresting!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Oh yes. I imagine all the scenes and see them vividly. That what determine if I will like the movie adaptation if the book has one. It has to meet with the standard I have imagined in my head to be considered good.
Lily-Rose_Winter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lily-Rose_Winter »

I always see images of the characters and the scenes. Most of the time I lose myself in the book so much that the world around me disappears
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

By Beth KG

Oh my goodness, yes! For me, it is not so much like seeing a movie...but with a good book...living an alternate reality. I get lost in it and miss my alternate world when I come to the end of the book. And I agree with nikyteewhy, no movie has yet lived up to what I have created in my head, but some come closer to what I am already hoping to see conveyed. :techie-studyinggray:
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

It was always like a movie in my head whenever I read books. Very vivid, too.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I think it depends a lot on the talent of the writer. Suggestive descriptions and credible dialogues can really bring a book to live. The bad part is when a good book becomes a movie or a tv show and it's so different from how you had imagined it.
Berry :wine:
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Yes, I can see the picture vividly. Its like watching a movie.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by lara_haelterman »

Definitely! I always wonder how the movie would be like when reading the book. I visualize the characters and world in my head and am thus often disappointed when the real movie comes out and it doesn't resemble what I had in mind. The last example I have of this is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I loved the book so much, and was excited to see it visualized in a movie. But it wasn't how I expected it to be at all and I wasn't even able to finish watching the movie as I preferred the version I had in my head.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I don't see the story while I'm reading it, but I definitely day dream about a story if I find it really interesting! I also don't usually picture specific faces for characters and am usually not to bothered with casting decisions in tv/film adaptations unless they miss out on something that is fundamentally important to a character (cough cough Professor Slughorn was supposed to have a walrus-like moustache in Harry Potter cough cough).
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Yes I do! That's why I love reading fantasy so much because I'm almost always in a whole different place and it's awesome!
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”