What would you recommend as a Christmas present?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Henry Packer
Bookshelf Size: 0

What would you recommend as a Christmas present?

Post by Henry Packer »

Hey there from the UK,

Each year I have a nightmare trying to find a Christmas present for some of my work colleagues. We have a £10 limit so books are perfect. Can anyone recommend something? The best one I have found so far is: "Where do all the paperclips go?".

It's entertaining and has some great business facts and insights and I could give it to anyone.

Having said that any other recommendations would be appreciated!
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

I really like Mitch Albom's books. The five people you meet in heaven, Tuesdays with Morrie, and For One more Day. Those might make good gifts. You might want to stay away from politics or anything that might be taken the wrong way. I also liked Marley and Me by John Grogan. That was a light funny read.
awelker

Post by awelker »

Mitch's books are amazing. They were wonderfuly written. I'm not baised or anything, since he writes for my local newspaper, but rather he is awsome.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

Did you see Mitch Albom on Oprah last week?
awelker

Post by awelker »

no i don't really have the chance to watch tv anymore. was it good.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

It was okay, oops I meant it was on Dr. Phil. Then Dr. Phil had to bring in some crazy couple and use Morrie as an example. It would have been better without that. But they showed some interesting videos and pictures of Morrie and what he was like as a real person. I found it interesting that Mitch gave all of the money from his Morrie book to Morrie's family.
Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

Henry Packer wrote:Hey there from the UK,

Each year I have a nightmare trying to find a Christmas present for some of my work colleagues. We have a £10 limit so books are perfect. Can anyone recommend something? The best one I have found so far is: "Where do all the paperclips go?".

It's entertaining and has some great business facts and insights and I could give it to anyone.

Having said that any other recommendations would be appreciated!
I think the trick is to find a book that is fun and not too heavy or deep. You could also get a joke book of some kind.
tranquilizer

Post by tranquilizer »

Fiction wise, I would recommend 'Artemis Fowl', 'Mortal Engines', or 'The Supernaturalist'. The best books/series' I've ever read, by far!
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

Gift cards are always a great idea! So that the person receiving the gift can choose their own books and you don't have to worry about if they will like the book you choose or not.
mathman101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathman101.html

Post by mathman101 »

S. It is a very interesting book for twenty us dollars (about 12 british pounds).
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

Brand new nook tablet! Trust me, it works wonders on anyone- even the non-readers.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Have you read Richard Bach's Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah? It's very short and easy, even for someone who isn't really a reader, has a lot of humor and fun, but also bits of wisdom that can change how we look at things. One of the concepts that changed the way I live, way back when I first read it as a teen, is the idea that no one can hurt us, emotionally. People are going to do what they're going to do, and if we choose to feel hurt by it, that's fine. Sometimes we get something -- sympathy, feeling self-righteous, or whatever, out of feeling hurt, so we're totally free to feel hurt if we want to. We just don't get to blame other people for it. Mostly it's a lot of eastern philosophy boiled down into an incredibly fun to read story, full of little quotes from The Messiah's Handbook. Writers will especially like the bit where he talks about how fictional people are sometimes more real than "real" people and suggests that people practice being fictional for a little while so they can see how true it is. Then there's the wompyre from Transylwania, but you can wait for him to show up to see what he's all about!

I've given copies to everyone from teens to seniors and they've all come back to say how cool it was.

-- 03 May 2014, 20:12 --

Another good gift book is The Gift of Fear, by Gavin Debecker. I've given copies of it to a lot friends, and they end up buying copies to give to others. One of them actually decided to use it as one of the textbooks for the college level psych class she teaches. Personally, I think every girl should be given a copy on her 15th birthday, but men can also benefit from it and will find it interesting.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

These are just a few odds and ends... Leadership, Cookbooks, Office Humor, How To Save Money, Health...
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

At our office, anything Dilbert goes over really well. Maybe a desk calendar or wall calendar and book set?
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

I would recommend, The Little Prince and Tuesdays with Morrie. This book is for all ages.
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”