Are audiobooks better fitted for a busy schedule?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kelseya146
Currently Reading: The Cruel Prince
Bookshelf Size: 231

Are audiobooks better fitted for a busy schedule?

Post by Kelseya146 »

Recently I'm finding it hard to find the time to sit down and read a book so i was wondering what you guy's opinions were on audiobooks? Do you find them easy to retain when doing things like cleaning etc or should i try to sit down and make time to read? Thanks!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I was hooked on audiobooks for a spell. I think audiobooks are great if you spend a lot of time in the car. They are also ideal if you like to unwind a little before bed or have extra time in the morning. I personally can't listen while I'm doing anything else (such as cooking or cleaning) due to distractions. Rewinding is not as easy as flipping back a page to catch something you missed.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

If you are good at multitasking then they are absolutely amazing. I work where I can listen while I work. I have listened to over 50 books last year alone. I don't recommend them if you can't listen and perform the task. It's a must-have, the skill to be able to focus on the book while still keeping track of what you're doing. I find having a routine style job (that requires minimal human interaction) does make things easier.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Audiobooks are definitely better fitted for those with busy schedule, especially the ones who do not prefer ebooks. But I personally feel that concentrating on listening to a story takes a lot more effort than reading it, so I sometimes drift off while listening and then miss some parts of it and have to rewind.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

They are better fitted for busy schedules, although I feel you have to be good at concentration and multitasking. They are way better than hard copies.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I can't do audiobooks. I am to easily distracted by everything else going on around me. I need to sit down and focus on the words.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Audiobooks are particularly great if you have a fairly long commute to get to work. I listen to podcasts when I clean the house and exercise because I don't really have to concentrate on the actions I'm doing, so I find that I retain most of what I listen to. If I'm doing a task that requires reading and writing (like sifting through and answering posts on OBC like I'm doing now), I can't have any audio going. I get distracted and end up re-reading the same thing multiple times because it doesn't fully sink in.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

Great if you spend a good deal of time in the car or commuting, but I prefer reading actual books.
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

Audiobooks are only worth it if you’re capable of not zoning out while the narrator is talking. Which usually happens and could lead to you not remembering what the plot was about forty minutes into a book.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

These answers have helped a lot, I know I'm considering getting into audiobooks so I can read more, but I'm worried about missing out on plot points because of being distracted.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

During school, I really like audiobooks because I can listen to them while walking to class, or while waiting for class to start. I also like to listen to them before I fall asleep instead of just playing on my phone! The only problem I have with audiobooks is if finding a good narrator whose voice I like.
RichardHaight
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Unbound Soul

Post by RichardHaight »

Audiobooks are a real blessing. I spend most of my day writing, so I don't have a lot of time left to read. I generally drive listening to an audiobook or podcasts though, so for me, having access to audio books is fantastic.
sbcal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by sbcal »

I love listening to audiobooks while driving to/from work. I do not have much spare time to read now in days at home so they are fabulous, but I will still purchase the hard copy to any favorites to keep in my book collection.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think some people can multitask. For me, I can only listen to audiobooks when driving which I guess would be good for a busy person who travels a lot for work.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

I totally agree. I'm not busy so I don't use audiobooks, but it sounds like a funny easy way to read, when driving or cooking or cleaning or just about any moment when you can't hold a book in your hand!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”