School Reading Assignments

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Do you think reading for school ruins books?

Yes.
33%
No.
67%

Total votes: 33

Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: School Reading Assignments

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I always enjoyed reading the stories prescribed in the school syllabus. They were actually the starting point of my reading.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I think that required reading in middle school is great for young readers. It helps them to expand their reading capabilities and try books that they wouldn't normally have chosen for themselves.

In middle school (junior high), we read stories like 'The Hobbit', 'Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh' etc which really opened my eyes to new stories and writing styles.

I agree that reading back to back for young readers probably isn't a good idea, because it tends to feel forced and is more of a turn-off.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Honestly, there were some books I really disliked at school. But there were much more, especially at university, that I don't think I would have picked up otherwise, and that I absolutely loved. Like "Wuthering Heights". I was sure I would hate it, because it sounded so romantic and depressive at the same time, but it turned out to be amazing, and I loved every page of it.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

gregs317 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 06:42 I think that required reading in middle school is great for young readers. It helps them to expand their reading capabilities and try books that they wouldn't normally have chosen for themselves.

In middle school (junior high), we read stories like 'The Hobbit', 'Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh' etc which really opened my eyes to new stories and writing styles.

I agree that reading back to back for young readers probably isn't a good idea, because it tends to feel forced and is more of a turn-off.
We also read books like 'Where the Red Fern Grows, 'The Black Stallion', etc.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I think that if you already love reading, you score a new genre or read something you might never have read otherwise.
If you dislike reading, it can change that and, at the very least, make you try something you'd never have tried anyway.
Win- win!
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by spencermack »

As a teacher assigning a book to students that will not interested your audience doesn't promote the love of reading. If students are forced to read a book them don't like to receive a grade that means nothing in their lives, then they will begin to dislike reading. When assigning your book you must be giving them choice and allowing them to grow with their interests. Then love of reading is built in the child.
Spencer Mack
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

Here's the thing, if you're reading just for fun... then you miss out on so much. For instance, never in a million years would I have picked up Bastard out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison. I hate reading about stuff like that. It's really upsetting. But that doesn't mean I get to pretend that kind of stuff doesn't exist. I struggled through every chapter of that book for required reading, and I hated it, but I know that I'm better for having read it. Sometimes reading isn't about having fun. Sometimes it's about sucking it up and reading something you hate in order to understand the world around you. And as for books that are 'beyond our time', I politely call bull. Humanity hasn't changed that much over the years, and many of those readings are still extremely relevant.
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by SavannahJones »

I think the kids that say reading books for school has ruined books for them are simply looking for an excuse to not have to read. Plus, now-a-days in high schools, reading is considered "uncool" and "lame." But I've discovered some really interesting books from having to read for school.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”