Why do you think you are such a bibliophile?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
zombie_chinchilla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zombie_chinchilla »

Personally, I read because I always like to envision the characters as real. I like to travel everywhere in books, and the fact that they so easily do that is why I love them. <3
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

My mom always read to me and my siblings when we were to young to do it ourselves. I remember her reading Harry Potter to us, which is probably where it all began for me, because even though she read me the whole series when I was older I wanted to go back and read it myself. I just love how lost I can get in a book; I can get away from reality for awhile. Book characters are a big part of the reason too. I fall in love with so many of them. They make great friends all through the journey of a book. I just love everything about reading.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I love to read for the simple fact that I can step into a new world for a while and be carried away. My parents weren't readers but when they realized I had a love for reading they did everything they could to encourage it. My grandmothers always bought me new books to read too. My cousin and I are really the only readers in my family so we would constantly share books when we got them.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My parents always read to me and were readers themselves. They passed their love of reading to me and I encourage my kids to read as well. I love to read and it is part of who I am.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Reading was a great way to pass the time as a kid. We live a long way out in the country so I didn't have a lot of others to play with. Then I started reading because it was a way to dream of other places and let my mind run to where it wanted to.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm a super introvert, and it's the best way to "recharge" my internal batteries.

Plus I sometimes hate my life and it's an easy way to escape, even if just for a little while.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

I Love to read partially because I was raised to its a cheaper more healthful alternative to TV. Also my parents loved reading and encouraged me and my siblings to do the same including frequent library trips. Being a shy introverted child reading helped me explore the world from a safe place.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

han87 wrote:I Love to read partially because I was raised to its a cheaper more healthful alternative to TV. Also my parents loved reading and encouraged me and my siblings to do the same including frequent library trips. Being a shy introverted child reading helped me explore the world from a safe place.
It's always nice to let your introverted mind recharge with a book. And still feel like you are getting social experience by interacting with the characters in the story! 8)
chouk1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chouk1902.html

Post by chouk1902 »

Helps me get away from all my problems and block out everything else.
dixiewitch1989
Favorite Author: too many
Favorite Book: prefers fantasy
Currently Reading: tedd dekkers the lost books series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dixiewitch1989.html

Post by dixiewitch1989 »

My mom read to me before I could read on my own. Stories like wjite fang and the lochness monster were my bedtime stories. Naturally I turned into quite a book worm. But my adoration of the fantasy novels was due to my overactive imagination. Its like chocolate for my brain.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I LOVE to read.In fact,I can't live without books.My parents or siblings don't read at all, I just enstilled this love of reading in myself when I was maybe oh 10. From that point on I always have a nose stuck in a book.LITERALLY ALWAYS. They simply have become a part of me.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
jjones3841
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjones3841.html

Post by jjones3841 »

My love of reading started with my mom and her love of books. I think that the biggest thing for me is the escape. Living in a fantasy world is better than living in the world around me. I have gone all over the world in books, and met so many people. I have experienced lifetimes of adventures. I hope that one day I will pull myself out of the books and experience some of those adventures for myself in real life.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I love the escapism of fiction. I love learning new things through non-fiction.

I don't know where my love for reading came from but I do know that it started before I could even read. I wanted to go to Kindergarten so that I could learn to read.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

My parent's love of reading is probably the biggest reason--our house had tons of books, so many in fact that "book" was one of my first words! Also, I enjoy learning about new things, and I'm always up for a good story. Reading is also a versatile hobby that can go with you anywhere, and my books have been a great source of comfort throughout the upheavals of my lifelong affiliation with the military.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

My older sister and I are bookworms (what an apt descriptor). I always assumed I got it from my dad, but as I look back on it, I realized that he only liked to read scientific kinds of books like Cosmos by Carl Sagan - he never actually read the book cover to cover - he read parts of it and of course perused all of the pictures (like that? - perused - my new word for the day):). There were neighbors - a farmer and his wife who had been a school teacher and I think many of the books I read as a child probably came from her. When I got older I got my books from the library at school, and then eventually the public library (we didn't really have a public library to speak of until I was in Jr High). Books were not bought until I became an adult and was out on my own (there were 5 kids and there just wasn't the money). When all the kids were all grown and mom had a little more money she could spend capriciously she would buy me a book. I discovered later that my mother was quite a book worm herself, once the kids were raised. We would take forays to the library and she would come out with twice as many books as I did. Reading became difficult in later years for her because of her vision (large print books are not always readily available), especially after she had a stroke. I always wished that Kindles had been around then, they are light and she could have made the print as large as she needed. UH OH - All of this and I didn't even discuss why I like to read... Do miss mom though. :(

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”