Why do you think you are such a bibliophile?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vtoodler
Bookshelf Size: 0

Why do you think you are such a bibliophile?

Post by vtoodler »

I love to read. I like reading because I want to learn as much as possible about the world around me.

I know other people who like to read because they grew up in households where frequent reading and library trips were the norm. I know others who love reading because they like to be taken away to foreign lands where they can meet new people.

What about you? Why do you like reading so much? And how much influence did your parents have?
Last edited by vtoodler on 06 May 2010, 17:27, edited 2 times in total.
MoreCowbell

Post by MoreCowbell »

My reasons for reading are all that you have listed, but I do credit the main part to my mother's love of books, and her father before that. I'm proud that both of my kids also love books--we just found out our 7 year old is on a 9-12 year old level.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I find it relaxing when i sit back and delve into a few chapters of a decent thriller or horror. I also read to learn new things, too, hence my huge interest in non-fiction on titles as diverse as tax, travel and health. :D
You only live once.....so live!
dansgoldilocks

Post by dansgoldilocks »

You know, I don't think I can really pinpoint a specific reason, or reasons, for my love of reading. It's just always been something I've enjoyed. I've read for as long as I can remember, well back into my childhood.

I think, to some degree, as I got older, it was an escape mechanism for me. In high school, I was often teased and picked on, had only a small, select group of friends. I think at that point, reading became a way for me to escape from what I viewed as a horrible life.

I enjoy such a wide variety of topics and genres that I can't even point to a specific one and say "that's what I enjoy". I sit and read just about anything. I have only had about 3 books, that I can recall (one of which I just gave up on today), that I ever didn't finish, because I felt they were poorly written or didn't enjoy the plot or whatever reason it was. I tend to take people up on their recommendations frequently, because there are just so many out there to choose from that I just don't know where to start when left to my own devices.

I know that both of my parents do love to read as well, as does my paternal grandmother. In fact, if I were to credit anyone or anything with my love of reading, it would probably be that grandmother. I've always held a great respect and admiration for her, and I remember going with her to the bookstore one time, I don't recall exactly how old I was. She was buying some series romance novels for a line she (at that time, anyway) loved to read. I asked her why she read them, she told me she enjoyed them and then asked if I wanted one. She bought me a romance novel (I wish I could remember the name now) and I read it and got hooked on them. I no longer read them, I'm very content in my relationship and don't feel that urge, but I still recall that day.

I think part of it may also be my creative nature. My boyfriend is a very analytical, scientific-minded man. I enjoy that about him, his intelligence and thirst for knowledge. And while I do very much enjoy science and things like that, I've found that I tend to be more creative, more into language, artistic, creative endeavours, preferring to read a book or spell a word rather than solve a math problem. I think reading tends to call out to, and satisfy, some of that creative thirst.
pontalba

Post by pontalba »

It's genetic. 8) Bound to be. My mother taught me to read long before I began first grade, and I haven't stopped yet.
I have the proof of my paternal grandparents, and great grandparents in the history books and biographies they left behind.

I love to learn about people, why they do things, what is their motivation, how do they accomplish their ends. How do they relate to each other, and why. Fascinating stuff. Reading is a window into everyone's world, and into worlds that only exist in others imaginations. Wonderful.

When I was a child, like most children I suppose, my favorite word was "Why?".....books tell me why.
brownnataly21

Post by brownnataly21 »

I am because I am crazy about reading and I read everything and everywhere. I can't imagine my life without reading a book, a magazine or a newspaper.
Just Me

Post by Just Me »

brownnataly21 wrote:I am because I am crazy about reading and I read everything and everywhere. I can't imagine my life without reading a book, a magazine or a newspaper.
It's the same thing for me :D
My mum made me read in different languages when I was a kid, and I hated it back then. But now I'm glad she did and I can't thank her enough.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

It's a little bit like asking me why do I breath .... I read because I have to. For me it's as basic as eating or drinking & absolutely essential to my mental health and possibly my physical health also.
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

Oh goodness, me neither!

I could not live without some form of literature.

Oddly enough, it didn't follow suit with the family, only my sister and I really read.

My bro tried to get me to read a book.
On managing finances and the economical downfall and rise of past empires... Really now? no, not now.

As a child my punishment was often "give me all of your dang books! no reading for a week!" instead of no toys or going out, haha.
( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ♥ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Reading seems to skip a generation in my family! My brother loves reading and was responsible for my love of horror books, particularly Stephen King 8)

I lapped up all his novels from the age of 15 onwards, which i could all read for free since he had already bought them! Before 15, i used to read Point Horror novels, which were a popular collection of horror books usually involving silent phone calls, threatening notes and chasing babysitters, God how easily i was pleased ha.

Then you have my sister who's only interest in reading is picking up the nearest copy of some glossy celeb magazine to see how much weight Jennifer Aniston has lost or else the latest on the vacuous, pointless members of The Hills. She hasnt read a proper book in 10 years. :roll:
Stinkin' Fascist

Then you have my sister who's only interest in reading is picking up the nearest copy of some glossy celeb magazine to see how much weight Jennifer Aniston has lost or else the latest on the vacuous, pointless members of The Hills. She hasnt read a proper book in 10 years.
Ugh! I hate that!

It's not really reading people! it's primarily little captions and pictures.
Where's the plot?
No where...

I did the same with my sister's books, whatever she read I got right afterwards.
What a convenience.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

I'm obsessed with reading because I'm socially incapacitated and have a great deal of trouble developing friendships - by the time I finish a book, I feel as though I've gained all sorts of companions.
Retired Teacher

Post by Retired Teacher »

So many good reasons listed here already. We are alike in our love of books. I have "spare" books stashed everywhere just in case I have more than 10 minutes of waiting time I.E. DMV, doctor's office, dentitst's office, car wash, etc.

I remember once being stuck without a book and had to resort to reading the back of a cereal box. I read slowly to make it last.

I often see people at a bus stop waiting.....just staring out into space or watching cars go by. That would drive me nuts! Pull out that book and read, read, read. Of course one runs the risk of reading right past your bus stop (now who would do that?)

I always read to my students, whether in elementary school or middle school. They loved to be read to and, of course, I made sure I ended a day's reading with a cliff hanger so they were anxious to return to the story the next day. Mean teacher!!
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Retired Teacher wrote: I remember once being stuck without a book and had to resort to reading the back of a cereal box. I read slowly to make it last.
I often do that when there is nothing else to read when you are tired and groggy in the morning.... :)
Stinkin' Fascist

Yeah, haha, cereal boxes are good for that.

You know what I love though?

Those pictures made out of words, I love flipping the image every which way to read the whole thing.

It's just so amusing and time consuming.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”