Ever asked a stranger what book he/she is reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Ever asked a stranger what book he/she is reading?

Post by kfwilson6 »

I am always curious to know what other people are reading. Although I have never asked a stranger what he is reading, I do take a peek at the cover of someone's book if I come across them reading. Have you ever seen a stranger in an airport, coffee shop, library, etc. and interrupted him to ask what he is reading? How did the conversation go and did you end up reading the book after talking to him?
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

I don't interrupt people who are reading, but I do work in a coffee shop kind of setting, so I will often see people with books that interest me. Sometimes I quietly look up the book on Amazon, but if the person seems friendly and I'm not feeling too shy, I will strike up a conversation. Sometimes it's hilarious. I remember once I asked a customer what he was reading, and it turned out to be an old science fiction novel he'd picked up at one of those Little Free Library boxes (have you seen those?). All he had to say to me was how chauvinistic he found it to be. What an intriguing review!

Overall I usually really enjoy these conversations, though I can't think off the top of my head of anything I ended up reading after talking to one of these customers. And I would never have these conversations with a stranger at the airport, any other coffee shop or even a library, as I am mortified of strangers.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Usually, I only ask if it's someone whose taste I know lines up with my own. Once in a blue moon I'll get to talking to someone and end up asking about what they're reading when I need suggestions. I've made a few friends this way.
Smokey-383
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smokey-383.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Smokey-383 »

I travel a lot so not only do I ask strangers what book they are reading, I am often asked myself.I have been introduced to many new authors this way and hope I have helped others find new reads too.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Yes, I have! And the conversation went well considering I later married this person. ;) Thank goodness for books -- they led me to my hubby!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Its a good conversation starter, at times it can be rude. I know I can get annoyed when people talk to me when I am reading but if you love reading and books, it is nice to share with others.
Omohobhio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Omohobhio »

I did that because I thought he was cute.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I had someone on a train ask me that question. Then she occupied about 20 minutes of my reading time with questions. I often switch to audible now so other riders don't see me reading and don't disturb me.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

When I was in college, a guy in the auto inspection station asked me that about a text book in my passenger seat. He then asked if I wanted to meet him after 5 to talk about it.
I was flattered, but my fiance was pissed. Good thing I said no to the invitation,
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I don't ask people what they are reading if they are In the process of reading. If the book is sitting near them, I will ask about it, which often leads to some good recommendations.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

Yeah if I am so curious about the book he or she is holding and we could start a conversation right there because we share the same interests, and I am just being friendly why not :) it's one way of me saying i have lots of books to choose from i can lend you some but of course she could do the same for me, just being friendly.
What goes around comes around
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:43 Yes, I have! And the conversation went well considering I later married this person. ;) Thank goodness for books -- they led me to my hubby!
Lucky you! I really mean it. I wish something similar could happen to me! Anyways, conversations about books is somethng I can not resist!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Nope. I have this 'xenagorabibliomania' and peek as often and as inconspicuously as I can to see what book he/she is reading, but I can not overcome my shyness enough to ask the question. I later check the books online, but can not think of any instance when I actually ended up reading them.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Aryastark wrote: 03 May 2018, 07:03
Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:43 Yes, I have! And the conversation went well considering I later married this person. ;) Thank goodness for books -- they led me to my hubby!
Lucky you! I really mean it. I wish something similar could happen to me! Anyways, conversations about books is somethng I can not resist!
Yes, I was lucky!! :D You never know when a simple conversation will blossom into something beautiful.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

That never works out for me. I noticed that the book the last woman I bumped into was reading was 32 Ways To Cut Cocaine . Who knows? It might have been a beautiful relationship, but I'm more into classics, so I just kept walking.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”