Ever asked a stranger what book he/she is reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Re: Ever asked a stranger what book he/she is reading?

Post by JuliaKay »

I have asked people I know what book they are reading, but I do feel bad about doing this because I can't stand being interrupted while I am reading. I have never asked a stranger what they are reading. Interrupting a person I know is one thing but interrupting a stranger's reading would feel rude to me. :lol:
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

DATo wrote: 05 May 2018, 17:19
Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:43 Yes, I have! And the conversation went well considering I later married this person. ;) Thank goodness for books -- they led me to my hubby!
That never works out for me. I noticed that the book the last woman I bumped into was reading was 32 Ways To Cut Cocaine . Who knows? It might have been a beautiful relationship, but I'm more into classics, so I just kept walking.
Ha! I completely understand...I'm a classics nut too! The book from my story is Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray," which is my favorite. I'm not sure I would have even said anything if it weren't for the fact that I just got too worked up over that book and couldn't help myself. Only one of my all-time favorites could have made me strike up a convo with a stranger like that!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

OH yes I have. I try not to bug them though because I know how annoying that can be especially when you can trying to concentrate on what you are reading.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

Yes, I have stopped people and asked what they are reading. I sometimes feel guilty to interrupt though because I know how much I hate that when people do that to me!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Camille Turner wrote: 07 May 2018, 19:06
Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:43 Yes, I have! And the conversation went well considering I later married this person. ;) Thank goodness for books -- they led me to my hubby!
That never works out for me. I noticed that the book the last woman I bumped into was reading was 32 Ways To Cut Cocaine . Who knows? It might have been a beautiful relationship, but I'm more into classics, so I just kept walking.
Ha! I completely understand...I'm a classics nut too! The book from my story is Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray," which is my favorite. I'm not sure I would have even said anything if it weren't for the fact that I just got too worked up over that book and couldn't help myself. Only one of my all-time favorites could have made me strike up a convo with a stranger like that!
I had a feeling this question would evoke some interesting answers. I love both of your stories. And it is so funny how you've never talked about a book or maybe even heard of it and then all of a sudden you feel like it is everywhere. Someone in my family was just talking about The Picture of Dorian Gray so I downloaded it a few days ago to read.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

kfwilson6 wrote: 17 May 2018, 13:37
Camille Turner wrote: 07 May 2018, 19:06

I had a feeling this question would evoke some interesting answers. I love both of your stories. And it is so funny how you've never talked about a book or maybe even heard of it and then all of a sudden you feel like it is everywhere. Someone in my family was just talking about The Picture of Dorian Gray so I downloaded it a few days ago to read.
I know exactly what you mean! I am so excited you're going to read it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 14:29 I am always curious to know what other people are reading. Although I have never asked a stranger what he is reading, I do take a peek at the cover of someone's book if I come across them reading. Have you ever seen a stranger in an airport, coffee shop, library, etc. and interrupted him to ask what he is reading? How did the conversation go and did you end up reading the book after talking to him?
I haven't done that before and no one has asked me before.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”