Your view on historical fiction books.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Your view on historical fiction books.

Post by MikleoKrein »

I love it!

I don't like it when it's about real history though, like that Romeo thing with the other girl, or about King Henry's wives. I like History fiction when it's Purely Fiction. Get what I mean?
Heatherlypre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Heatherlypre »

Historical fiction is now my favorite genre. As I am not a history buff (actually despised it in HS) I don't have any issues with things being slightly off in historical fiction, mainly because I have no idea it's wrong in the first place. Every time I read a good one I feel like I am transported back to that time and can't stop wondering what it must have been like to live thru famine and wars and always remember how lucky I am to live in this day and age in America.

Book Thief, All The Light We Cannot See, The Nightingale, Half a Yellow Sun - all books that have literally changed me as a person.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

I am a huge fan of Philippa Gregory whose stories are based on the lives and time periods of real people in the Tudor dynasty but she imbues them with the humanity that they would have possessed in their time of being alive, rather than just footnotes in a book.

What I enjoy about historical fiction with original characters as well is that you can be able to experience a life in any period of history through that characters eyes like a primary source rather than just reading a second hand account.

I am all for it, basically. :)
Armida Nagy Rose
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Armida Nagy Rose »

A well-written historical novel not only gives you a provocative narrative, it provides you with historical events and perspectives. My first exposure to such genre was novels by James Michener's Texas and Hawaii.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I've read very few historical fiction books. If I ever did, they were YA. I honestly don't know a lot about history so I'm a poor judge of the book detracted a lot from real historical events or not. Mostly I just end up loving the book if I really enjoyed it, doesn't matter if it's accurate.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

Love. I personally find history boring to read but fascinating from a cultural perspective so I enjoy the fictionalized versions or when fiction is set in a specific historical time frame.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Not much. Not a fan. Especially when his topical events are romanticised and reduced to one person's view.
Spencer Mack
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

I'm enjoying this genre more and more lately. I really love to learn something about history but I don't mind if the story and characters are fictional, as long as the facts of the event are well researched.
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I enjoy reading historical fiction books if the characters are fictitious but the setting is real.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think they are nice. They expose the reader to the lives of people across time and place. It also sheds a light on history's untold stories.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I love historical fiction that teaches me something and helps me relate to people and events from hundreds or thousands of years ago.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

They are ok.

Only problem would be if people use those books to learn real history.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I love history books period. Usually I tend to the ones that or well researched into the background information. I have some that or like this and they offer a good chance on history provide you find the right ones. They make things come to life and tends to not be a dull reading.
Cassidy Simpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimpson97.html
Latest Review: Another Poor Cow by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by Cassidy Simpson »

I like historical fiction because it has the real-life appeal of nonfiction with the characters and stories of fiction.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Historical fiction is my favorite genre. In general, I love history and to add a fictional spin to it, makes it so exciting. Historical fiction books about the Holocaust are my absolute favorite.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”