Your view on historical fiction books.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kiboko1
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 4

Your view on historical fiction books.

Post by Kiboko1 »

What makes you get seduced to read historical fiction books?
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I absolutely love historical fiction books. I would say this is one of my favorite genres because I become so attached and invested in the characters which then translates into me feeling so moved for real people who went through whatever historical event/social issue was going on at the time. I love that the characters and storyline are based on real people, places and events.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

I'm hesitant to pick it up, if only because if it isn't very well researched and written very very very nicely, i find it hard to get into.
i'm more likely to get into it though if the main characters aren't historical figures.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

History itself is sweet. I find that I am more interested in events and actions that appear more real than some science fiction hence the books that bring this closer are historical fiction books.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Camille Turner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 16:03 I absolutely love historical fiction books. I would say this is one of my favorite genres because I become so attached and invested in the characters which then translates into me feeling so moved for real people who went through whatever historical event/social issue was going on at the time. I love that the characters and storyline are based on real people, places and events.
Wow, I like this. It explains why I also do love historical fiction books.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

elinadsy wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 22:43 I'm hesitant to pick it up, if only because if it isn't very well researched and written very very very nicely, i find it hard to get into.
i'm more likely to get into it though if the main characters aren't historical figures.
True. The amount of effort invested in the research also makes the books some amount of value.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

elinadsy wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 22:43 I'm hesitant to pick it up, if only because if it isn't very well researched and written very very very nicely, i find it hard to get into.
I am the same way. I love historical fiction books, but if it isn't heavily and thoroughly researched, it is off-putting to me, especially if it is a period of history that I know a lot about. I also agree with you on the issue of main characters being historical figures. If the main character is George Washington (for example), I am not inclined to read the book. However, if famous historical figures are simply mentioned or referenced instead of being a main character, I am more willing to read the novel.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

For me, historical fiction is more enjoyable if the historical period or event is one I am interested in. I especially love Ken Follett’s books. Pillars of the Earth is a classic epic.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I think that even though they are not real stories, learning something about the past is better than learning nothing at all. That is what I think about historical fiction novels.

:romance-ballandchain: :romance-ballandchain: :romance-ballandchain: :romance-ballandchain:
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi Finger »

lbhatters wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 21:04 I think that even though they are not real stories, learning something about the past is better than learning nothing at all. That is what I think about historical fiction novels.

:romance-ballandchain: :romance-ballandchain: :romance-ballandchain: :romance-ballandchain:
I agree. I feel like I am getting a tiny bit of a history lesson or at least learning how people lived and reacted in certain eras.
But, its not like I am going to pass my kids high school history exam.
mvobispo
Currently Reading: Heaven Hell and Magical Soup
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by mvobispo »

Kiboko1 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:37 What makes you get seduced to read historical fiction books?
I salute them on how they dig all the informations and add a little imagination on their work. I always wondering If what inspired them to write a historical fiction and Everytime I read a historical fiction, it made me back to the oldtimes thought that I am the lead character of the story.
tcastillo
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcastillo.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tcastillo »

Historical fiction is by far my favorite genre. I like that I can be taken to the past and put in a setting that is both familiar and unfamiliar. I appreciate the chance to learn little interesting tidbits rather than just the broad overview that you might get in other historical texts. I always read the research notes first! The best authors of historical fiction teach about the time period while telling the story and make connections to the present.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

Historical fiction is one of my favorites. I can get totally immersed in the time period and I always seem to learn something I didn't know before. One of the best historical fiction novels I've ever read was Across Five Aprils. The author escapes me at the moment. Anyway, its about a family struggling through life during the Civil War and its aftermath. One brother fought for the North and another for the South. This created trauma for the family and it was interesting to see how they came to terms with this dynamic. I seem to gravitate towards stories about people in the 1800's. Its an exciting time period with so many things to discover.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I love historical fiction. I could easily go without reading any other fiction, although I won’t.

I love being set into the world of another time period, and learning about the characters’ worldview. Human nature itself doesn’t change, but human nature is adaptable to basically anything. Were the people dealing with a civil war? Or a modern total war? Were they in the heart of an empire, or on its edge? What social class were they? And so on.

I’ve become more and more interested in historical fiction that isn’t set during the big name wars and other events, because I want to experience both places I haven’t read about and the in-between parts of history. What happened after the huge war? What slow trends build up to the next one? What is “normal” peaceful life like in this time and place? What happened in the less-known, more ordinary settings?
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

It's not my favorite genre, but some of them are excellent. What I despise is fictionalized history, that is to say, a novel that is based on the life of a historic character or a historic event. It's fake news. I wouldn't want someone writing a fictional story about my life. Chances are, they're going to get a lot of things wrong. Historical fiction should only cover books about fictional characters in historic settings. The author has no business rewriting reality.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”