Fanfiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Fanfiction

Post by Camille Turner »

briellejee wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 10:17
Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:40 I have steered clear of fanfiction and never read any of it. I am interested in seeing people's opinions who have read it and who like it.

will you give it a chance? well, you're in the right topic thread :D a lot of people here are showing interests about fanfiction.
Yes, I will give it a chance since people here seem to be enjoying it! :)
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

briellejee wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 10:35 Ohhhh. It's interesting. But isn't it a bit, this is just me though, somewhat twisting the characters of the author? I mean, fanfic authors literally are taking the original author's character away from his own perspective and his original story? They're twisting it too much to their own liking. I mean, if you're the author, you pictured this whole character in your head bu to somebody suddenly twists it and kinda like "destroy" your character? It sounds genius though, I'll admit, like creating a whole new story from one single character.

also another note, we have JK Rowling's new books right? Like fantastic Beasts and where to find them. It's basically a part of harry potter that JK wanted to expand more. Fanfics are basically the same right? taking out a character and making a whole new story about him/her? The difference is, it's just a different author? I'm actually just spewing things out of mind here because this is what i've thought when i read the examples you've given me.
Whether or not the characters are 'twisted' depends largely on who is writing, there are many people simply trying to write as in-character as possible. It's usually just about adding in information that was never written; while it would be typical to assume such-and-such character is straight unless the author has directly stated otherwise, the original work itself rarely refutes the possibility of a character being bisexual. On some level, that's the point of fanfic though, showing how you interpret a character and relate to them, or how the story would have worked better for you. It's easy to argue about how a character should or should not behave, and there's an interesting debate there about whether creative works belong to the creator or the audience. After all, if the work was just for the creator, then why did they share it? There isn't an easy answer, but most fanfic authors tend to treat creative work as for-the-audience. Interestingly, there are many people who wouldn't want their fanfic to become part of the official work for the opposite reason, maintaining a boundary between what the work itself and how people react to it.

But that's one of the reasons I like comics and Marvel in the first place: there are so many different people writing for the same characters for so many different audiences that it's easy to find a "version" of the character that you enjoy. I think it's one of the reasons that comics are very popular in fanfic, there's less worry about what is "right". Marvel's Hawkeye, for instance, is intended to be the "normal guy" of the group, but who that is depends on the target audience. Comics Hawkeye is a mess who is trying to keep any part of his life together and likes pizza, dogs, and coffee. This relates to the comic-readers who are often college-age and in a similar situation. Movies Hawkeye is a dad who is pretty good at his job and managed to get a family together, but is struggling to balance his home life and work life, relating to the target audience for the movies: older men who loved comics in the past but are now too busy with family/work/etc to keep up with the culture.

Fantastic Beasts works well as an example of making new stories about the same characters and expanding the universe, but I think a better printed example would be the Star Wars novels, which are literally books about new or untold stories for Star Wars characters, all by different authors (though of course they have to get their work approved to be printed and often have guides to follow). Though it is worth noting that some fanfic intentionally changes the "facts" of the original work; this is more similar to works like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. There is a large variety of fanfic out there, you can usually find something that suits your opinions on what fanfic should be.
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

Camille Turner wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 11:16
briellejee wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 10:17 will you give it a chance? well, you're in the right topic thread :D a lot of people here are showing interests about fanfiction.
That's always good to hear :)

Do let us know if you want any tips or help finding anything!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

tvess wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 10:07
Camille Turner wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 11:16
briellejee wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 10:17 will you give it a chance? well, you're in the right topic thread :D a lot of people here are showing interests about fanfiction.
That's always good to hear :)

Do let us know if you want any tips or help finding anything!
Thank you! I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions! :)
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

There are some good fanfictions out there and it is always interesting to see the "What Happens Next" from the view point of the fans. I know some believe that adding to a "perfect" or "great" story only hurts the book, but sometimes it turns out to benefit it.

Have you ever read a fanfiction without reading what it was based off of and then go "I need to read the original" or "I need to look up these references;" etc? That happened to me with several books.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

I think fanfic is really great for a lot of reasons!

1) lets aspiring writers practice dialogue, flow, characterisation
2) helps inspire a healthy fanbase that keeps fans enthusiastic between lulls in official content, especially in situations like books which might not come out for several years at a time
3) lets fans see things they might have wanted to see more of- a missing scene, a sequel they might never get, etc.

While I agree a portion of fanfic authors are young, I don't think there's any need to punch down at them. they're harmlessly indulging in a creative hobby! not to mention, i've read fanfics that are genuinely as good as famous novels and just as engaging, to the point where it's professional. and yes, a lot of fanfic tends to be romantic in genre, but there's quite a lot which isn't too.

not to mention, free, high quality content based on things i love? no complaints here!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I think fanfiction is great, as it gives a lot of people the creative space to write and explore. There are a lot of great writers out there, which sometimes can be a whole load better than actual published books (cough 50 shades cough). Of course, I do agree that there are some terrible pieces out there, but fanfiction was created for enjoyment, and not written for analysis.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

gen_g wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 08:32 I think fanfiction is great, as it gives a lot of people the creative space to write and explore. There are a lot of great writers out there, which sometimes can be a whole load better than actual published books (cough 50 shades cough). Of course, I do agree that there are some terrible pieces out there, but fanfiction was created for enjoyment, and not written for analysis.
I agree on the part that fanfic writers are much more talented than actual published writers. Also, your comment: "fanfiction was created for enjoyment, and not written for analysis." shed a whole light to me just now. I think this is the best one to describe fanfics. I'm really glad you pointed that out. It enlightened a lot.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

briellejee wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 08:49
gen_g wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 08:32 I think fanfiction is great, as it gives a lot of people the creative space to write and explore. There are a lot of great writers out there, which sometimes can be a whole load better than actual published books (cough 50 shades cough). Of course, I do agree that there are some terrible pieces out there, but fanfiction was created for enjoyment, and not written for analysis.
I agree on the part that fanfic writers are much more talented than actual published writers. Also, your comment: "fanfiction was created for enjoyment, and not written for analysis." shed a whole light to me just now. I think this is the best one to describe fanfics. I'm really glad you pointed that out. It enlightened a lot.
Thank you for your reply! I'm glad that I found someone who thought the same way as I do! To be frank, I have turned to fanfiction for most of my reading - since there are many writers out there who write so much better than most of the published novels out there (what is happening in the publication industry?). In fact, I have also found that there are actual published authors who also write fanfiction - who would say no to well developed and great stories for free??
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

gen_g wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 08:57
Thank you for your reply! I'm glad that I found someone who thought the same way as I do! To be frank, I have turned to fanfiction for most of my reading - since there are many writers out there who write so much better than most of the published novels out there (what is happening in the publication industry?). In fact, I have also found that there are actual published authors who also write fanfiction - who would say no to well developed and great stories for free??

There are few trusted published authors nowadays. I'm really nervous for this industry to be honest, that's why i wanted to know what's up with fanfiction. When 50 shades blew up, i was scared that almost all of them are the same. Thankfully this topic pointed out that it's not. (relieved sigh). You know what, talking to you really opened my eyes about fanfic. Lol. I mean i understand it much better now. It's just weird for me to read a fanfic of one of my fandoms who are using actual real people. I mean it's okay if the fanfic uses a character but it's really weird using real life people. 😅 I really would like for you to recommend one fanfic you've read. :)
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Fanfiction falls victim to the same issues that self-published books do, in that there's no gatekeepers for quality, so it's very easy to find the utter tripe that dominates every artform. If you have the motivation to find the gems, then I admire you, but I was turned off it after trawling through too much naff stuff.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

briellejee wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 09:11

There are few trusted published authors nowadays. I'm really nervous for this industry to be honest, that's why i wanted to know what's up with fanfiction. When 50 shades blew up, i was scared that almost all of them are the same. Thankfully this topic pointed out that it's not. (relieved sigh). You know what, talking to you really opened my eyes about fanfic. Lol. I mean i understand it much better now. It's just weird for me to read a fanfic of one of my fandoms who are using actual real people. I mean it's okay if the fanfic uses a character but it's really weird using real life people. 😅 I really would like for you to recommend one fanfic you've read. :)
I'm not sure if you would read harry potter fanfiction, but anything by RZZMG is generally well written, with well developed characters! hope you enjoy it.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

gen_g wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 00:53

I'm not sure if you would read harry potter fanfiction, but anything by RZZMG is generally well written, with well developed characters! hope you enjoy it.
I will guve it a try! Thanks so much! :))
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

briellejee wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 02:35
gen_g wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 00:53

I will guve it a try! Thanks so much! :))
You are very welcome, I hope you like it. (:
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I do not really like fan fiction, though I do suppose it can be considered a genre. I feel like a fan can never truly write in the same way of the original author and though at times what they say can be interesting, they give the original story a different meaning. I believe that each person has their own unique story to tell, so I don't necessarily think it is ethical to continue with somebody else's. However, I have been quite interested in books where the authors write about different authors meeting their own characters in a different (literary) reality!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”