Fanfiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Re: Fanfiction

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

Not a fan.

If it's fanfiction of something legendary like Harry Potter, written as a continuation from the books, then it gets on my nerves in all honesty. You can tell the difference in writing styles between the original author and the author of the fanfic and it's so unbelievable. And fanfiction of celebrities is sometimes cute but can be so creepy. You have Dan and Phil, who are YouTubers, and sometimes a fanfic of the two of them in a relationship can be adorable. But then there are completely messed up things like "The Hat Fic", which basically describes one of them killing a hamster, mixing semen with the blood and pouring the concoction down the other's throat. And these are just two regular, real-life guys. It's not a sexy scene, it's not meant to be. It's just for shock value for more followers. And it could impact real life friendships. If someone wrote that about me, I'd see a lawsuit, that's all I'm saying.

I find fanfiction is usually teenagers saying, "Wow, I wish these two people/characters would f**k." And it's just brief character exchanges and cheap sex scenes, rarely with any original ideas.

I'm willing to be proven wrong though so if there ARE any good ones let me know :)
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
JazmynElizabeth

Not a fan.

If it's fanfiction of something legendary like Harry Potter, written as a continuation from the books, then it gets on my nerves in all honesty. You can tell the difference in writing styles between the original author and the author of the fanfic and it's so unbelievable. And fanfiction of celebrities is sometimes cute but can be so creepy. You have Dan and Phil, who are YouTubers, and sometimes a fanfic of the two of them in a relationship can be adorable. But then there are completely messed up things like "The Hat Fic", which basically describes one of them killing a hamster, mixing semen with the blood and pouring the concoction down the other's throat. And these are just two regular, real-life guys. It's not a sexy scene, it's not meant to be. It's just for shock value for more followers. And it could impact real life friendships. If someone wrote that about me, I'd see a lawsuit, that's all I'm saying.

I find fanfiction is usually teenagers saying, "Wow, I wish these two people/characters would f**k." And it's just brief character exchanges and cheap sex scenes, rarely with any original ideas.

I'm willing to be proven wrong though so if there ARE any good ones let me know :)
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

JazmynElizabeth wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:53 Not a fan.

LMAO. we have the same sentiments about it actually. :D Previous replies have suggestions, so maybe you can catch a few decent ones in there ^^, . I value the characters of the original author A LOT, because I'm a writer myself and I would feel bad that I developed that character and someone would just destroy it. :(
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
JazmynElizabeth

briellejee wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 01:34

LMAO. we have the same sentiments about it actually. :D Previous replies have suggestions, so maybe you can catch a few decent ones in there ^^, . I value the characters of the original author A LOT, because I'm a writer myself and I would feel bad that I developed that character and someone would just destroy it. :(
I agree - if I wrote a book and took time on the characters and then a bunch of horny teenagers wrote about them shoving things into each other's rectums for no reason then as much as I'd be flattered that they liked my book, it'd really irritate me to have them ruin the characters.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

Personally, I hate fanfiction because it's often badly-written and explicit. More importantly, though, I don't like reading something that's non-canon.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Serena_Charlotte wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 11:40 Personally, I hate fanfiction because it's often badly-written and explicit. More importantly, though, I don't like reading something that's non-canon.
Me too. But there are others (within the fandom of course) that I find very creatively written.Some of the people here (above replies) say that there are actually good writers in the field of fanfiction, which I believe is true. Yet, I don't want my real life people and characters get a new personality in a new story. Also, they suggest that fan fiction is purely for fandoms, so that's that. :D
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

JazmynElizabeth wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 14:30
briellejee wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 01:34

I agree - if I wrote a book and took time on the characters and then a bunch of horny teenagers wrote about them shoving things into each other's rectums for no reason then as much as I'd be flattered that they liked my book, it'd really irritate me to have them ruin the characters.
Sadly most of the content is about that. Sigh. I mean look at 50 shades of grey. It's basically like showing the horny sides of Bella and Edward.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Serena_Charlotte wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 11:40 Personally, I hate fanfiction because it's often badly-written and explicit. More importantly, though, I don't like reading something that's non-canon.
Also, i like your attached signature hehehe
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

It is not my taste but I believe to each his own.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

I love reading fanfics, and I do write ones myself.

It's true that there are many unedited ones with poor dialogues, characterizations, and plot. But same goes for published books, there are good ones, there are bad ones, and there are the hidden gems.

If a person tried to read fanfics just to see what it's all about, they will most probably read badly written ones because majority of them don't have proofreaders, editors, or - yes, simply beginners or amateurs.

That's just skimming the surface of a vast wide ocean.

I myself can't read stories with rampant grammatical errors or badly characterized characters. That's why I always scan a few chapters first before reading the story in entirety.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

MikleoKrein wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 14:31 I love reading fanfics, and I do write ones myself.

It's true that there are many unedited ones with poor dialogues, characterizations, and plot. But same goes for published books, there are good ones, there are bad ones, and there are the hidden gems.

If a person tried to read fanfics just to see what it's all about, they will most probably read badly written ones because majority of them don't have proofreaders, editors, or - yes, simply beginners or amateurs.

I myself can't read stories with rampant grammatical errors or badly characterized characters. That's why I always scan a few chapters first before reading the story in entirety.
Yes, published ones are not always good ones. The issue of people in fanfics though, as from previous replies, is that it tarnishes (or maybe improves) an original character. I have read some good plots, especially in fandoms, but as what I've said, the main issue is recreating a character. Anyways, the point of this topic was to ask if fanfiction should be categorized as a genre all on its own?
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

briellejee wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:53
MikleoKrein wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 14:31 I love reading fanfics, and I do write ones myself.

Yes, published ones are not always good ones. The issue of people in fanfics though, as from previous replies, is that it tarnishes (or maybe improves) an original character. I have read some good plots, especially in fandoms, but as what I've said, the main issue is recreating a character. Anyways, the point of this topic was to ask if fanfiction should be categorized as a genre all on its own?

Hm, the topic of 'If Fanfics should be categorized as a genre of its own'... it already is. In some major sites where writers can publish original stories, poetry, non-fiction, and others, Fanfiction has a genre all on its own. It is to separate those who don't like to read fanfics and those who prefer to read a certain type of fanfic.

I guess it depends on the book's author in the end. For example, JK Rowling actually encourages fanfic writers for Harry Potter. Of course, fanfics should stay as 'Free' and never be published because the original author can sue you for that. That is why Fanfics should not be a Genre in Published Books (like published books you see in bookstores/amazon/etc.). That's self-explanatory.

There are some cases where certain authors got away with it, like that Fifty Shades author and that Mortal Instruments author. I abhor those books, especially fanfics in Twilight with the All Human plot because, most of the time, those authors just use the Twilight characters to make their story more viewable and (if it's very popular) changes the character's name and publish it like an Original Story... very underhanded schemes.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 14:47 I think fanfiction is great if you just can't get enough of a particular story or character. I remember reading a lot of fanfiction for Twilight when I was in high school. It really satisfied a need for more experiences with characters. Some of the fanfiction was very clever and I enjoyed it. As an adult, I haven't really delved into it. I guess that's because I have access to more books and it is so much easier than 15 years ago when we had dial up internet, I wasn't old enough to drive, and Kindles were not a household item :)
This was me, except it was with Glee and Supernatural. There are some incredible fics that I have found myself rereading. However, there are some that are way too explicit just for the sake of being explicit. Get through all of that and there are some gems. :techie-studyinggray:

I definitely am not how I used to be, like you, more books. Also, I can't stare at a computer screen for hours on end like I did then.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I totally agree with you.

I started reading fanfiction about 5-6 years ago and, personally, I loved it. It was something new/I hadn't read before and something I'd never tried writing myself. I still enjoy reading (and writing) some fanfiction now, however, after years of reading terrible grammar, bad plots and sub-plots, under-developed characters, amongst other things, my love for it had dissipated quite a bit.

That being said, I have read some absolutely amazing works fanfiction that I remember to this day and that I could see becoming novels/novellas. Fanfictions are extremely creative and, I believe, deserve more credit than blatant criticism. Some of the less- grammatically correct fanfiction could be respectable novels after undergoing some editing; same as published works.

To make a long story short, I'd be happy to see more fanfiction published/become its own genre (within reason, of course. Those which feature true celebrities, etc. might be better off as online fanfiction rather than novels 😅).
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

MikleoKrein wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 13:11
briellejee wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:53

Hm, the topic of 'If Fanfics should be categorized as a genre of its own'... it already is. In some major sites where writers can publish original stories, poetry, non-fiction, and others, Fanfiction has a genre all on its own. It is to separate those who don't like to read fanfics and those who prefer to read a certain type of fanfic.

I guess it depends on the book's author in the end. For example, JK Rowling actually encourages fanfic writers for Harry Potter. Of course, fanfics should stay as 'Free' and never be published because the original author can sue you for that. That is why Fanfics should not be a Genre in Published Books (like published books you see in bookstores/amazon/etc.). That's self-explanatory.

The main question was if it should be listed as a genre like Romance, Horror etc., as a published book and you said it should not be, the simplest answer i got from a fanfic writer herself. Thanks for that. Your first paragraph though only considers fanfiction as a sub-genre. It's not all on its own a genre as a published book. Also, it might seem self-explanatory for you, but for people who were blinded by prejudice on fanfics, it's not. And yet, i really do appreciate you taking time to explain this.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”