Fanfiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Re: Fanfiction

Post by Nanig83006 »

I wouldn't consider it a genre only because it isn't necessarily a book. In my opinion, fan-fiction is a beast of its own. It takes already established characters/settings and turns it into something else. While a majority is erotic romance written by teens, I've come across amazing stories by plenty of authors who've taken something great and made it even more amazing. Only after it is complete and made more originally with their own characters/settings, then published, do I see it as a book.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

briellejee wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 02:08
MikleoKrein wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 13:11
briellejee wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:53

Yes, published ones are not always good ones. The issue of people in fanfics though, as from previous replies, is that it tarnishes (or maybe improves) an original character. I have read some good plots, especially in fandoms, but as what I've said, the main issue is recreating a character. Anyways, the point of this topic was to ask if fanfiction should be categorized as a genre all on its own?

Hm, the topic of 'If Fanfics should be categorized as a genre of its own'... it already is. In some major sites where writers can publish original stories, poetry, non-fiction, and others, Fanfiction has a genre all on its own. It is to separate those who don't like to read fanfics and those who prefer to read a certain type of fanfic.

I guess it depends on the book's author in the end. For example, JK Rowling actually encourages fanfic writers for Harry Potter. Of course, fanfics should stay as 'Free' and never be published because the original author can sue you for that. That is why Fanfics should not be a Genre in Published Books (like published books you see in bookstores/amazon/etc.). That's self-explanatory.

The main question was if it should be listed as a genre like Romance, Horror etc., as a published book and you said it should not be, the simplest answer i got from a fanfic writer herself. Thanks for that. Your first paragraph though only considers fanfiction as a sub-genre. It's not all on its own a genre as a published book. Also, it might seem self-explanatory for you, but for people who were blinded by prejudice on fanfics, it's not. And yet, i really do appreciate you taking time to explain this.
Yeah, I mean, it's self-explanatory and obvious in the way that someone made the book, but other people make money off it because they sold their own remake of said book without the original author's permission. It's illegal in so many ways. It doesn't only apply to fanfics, it also applies to audio, visual arts, projects, videos, and many other things with copyright on it.

As for fanfic being a sub-genre, I agree with that, but many others who doesn't like fanfics consider it as a Main Genre believe it or not. You can see that and feel that when you visit sites such as Wattpad and other online sites. As for 'it's not all on its own a genre as a published book', it will never be a genre in published books in bookstores/onlinestores because if an author publishes a fanfic for monetary purposes, then countless lawsuits will sure to follow.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Fanfiction is tons of fun! Especially if you are super invested in the characters and want to see them in alternative situations. In a lot of ways, it doesn't even have to make sense as long as our favorite characters are moving around the stage. The author doesn't have to build the world or set the scene, because as fans, we already know all of this.
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

I wish fanfiction would be taken more seriously because there really is an abundance of fanfics that deserve an award. I understand how people could see it as a little immature when most writers of this genre are teens, but I also think people should give it a shot.
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

I frequently read fanfictions, not only because they can be interesting, but also because sometimes the book the fanfic is about is unsatisfying. Some people read and write fanfictions to satisfy their desires of something different happening, or just as an addition to the book itself, even though it wouldn't be official. For example, many Harry Potter fans are devastated by deaths of certain characters, so they write fanfictions about them in 'What if' format, where those characters didn't die, and then things go in an another direction. The same counts for all other book and comics, movies etc., on which fanfictions are based on. Of course, there are people who write fanfiction to better their writing style, or just to satisfy themselves. I admit that there are many erotica fanfics, but that also a part of the freedom in this specific part of writing world, although some fanfictions shouldn't have come to light...

I, myself, am writing a fanfiction of my favourite comic book, and although I write it English, it's nice sharing it with some like-minded people who will give you feedback and discuss it with you.
'A Hunter and a Doe,
A path with a secret covered,
Like ice, like ember,
They'll never be a pair.'- A Hunter and a Doe by Plavi Orkestar
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I've never been much of a fan of fan fiction, but mainly because of how the writers don't often understand the characters as the original author did. Some fanfics can be great, but mostly the characters seem wrong because they are behaving how the fanfic writer would like them to behave, rather than what is true to their nature. It can make reading the fics unbearable at times, especially when I've read the original work before.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

MikleoKrein wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:49
briellejee wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 02:08
MikleoKrein wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 13:11

Hm, the topic of 'If Fanfics should be categorized as a genre of its own'... it already is. In some major sites where writers can publish original stories, poetry, non-fiction, and others, Fanfiction has a genre all on its own. It is to separate those who don't like to read fanfics and those who prefer to read a certain type of fanfic.

I guess it depends on the book's author in the end. For example, JK Rowling actually encourages fanfic writers for Harry Potter. Of course, fanfics should stay as 'Free' and never be published because the original author can sue you for that. That is why Fanfics should not be a Genre in Published Books (like published books you see in bookstores/amazon/etc.). That's self-explanatory.

The main question was if it should be listed as a genre like Romance, Horror etc., as a published book and you said it should not be, the simplest answer i got from a fanfic writer herself. Thanks for that. Your first paragraph though only considers fanfiction as a sub-genre. It's not all on its own a genre as a published book. Also, it might seem self-explanatory for you, but for people who were blinded by prejudice on fanfics, it's not. And yet, i really do appreciate you taking time to explain this.
Yeah, I mean, it's self-explanatory and obvious in the way that someone made the book, but other people make money off it because they sold their own remake of said book without the original author's permission. It's illegal in so many ways. It doesn't only apply to fanfics, it also applies to audio, visual arts, projects, videos, and many other things with copyright on it.

As for fanfic being a sub-genre, I agree with that, but many others who doesn't like fanfics consider it as a Main Genre believe it or not. You can see that and feel that when you visit sites such as Wattpad and other online sites. As for 'it's not all on its own a genre as a published book', it will never be a genre in published books in bookstores/onlinestores because if an author publishes a fanfic for monetary purposes, then countless lawsuits will sure to follow.
While I agree with most of what you've said, I'd like to point out that fanfiction is different to certain other kinds of audio-visual projects that use copyrighted material. The thing is, it depends on if it falls under fair use guidelines, how transformative the work is and how much you use. Obviously in the case of fanfiction and A.V. projects that fall under that banner, you absolutely cannot monetise the author's work for your own gain, whereas if it's like, say, a critical essay in video format, there's some leeway there.

With regards to the genre question, even if it's published, it doesn't count as a genre of its own since most fic, unless it's an alternative setting, maintains the original's base genre. Personally, I used to read a ton of fanfiction, but a lot of it couldn't stand up on its own outside of the source material because while it's good for learning how to construct plot and, in some cases, setting, tone and atmosphere, it's not the same as an original novel. It's why books like Fifty Shades aren't as, in my opinion, good as people think they are because they rely heavily on the original author's characterisation and established relationship dynamics.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I have read both good and bad fanfiction. As far as calling it a genre of its own, I would not. You cannot publish a fanfiction unless you get the rights from whoever owns the characters you are writing about. Most authors I know of are pretty protective of their characters, since they spend so much time with them, creating them and writing out their lives. So if it cannot be legally published and sold, can it be called a legitimate genre? Probably not. It is more used as a way to practice writing, like writing prompts.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Monet_va wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 13:32 I've never been much of a fan of fan fiction, but mainly because of how the writers don't often understand the characters as the original author did. Some fanfics can be great, but mostly the characters seem wrong because they are behaving how the fanfic writer would like them to behave, rather than what is true to their nature. It can make reading the fics unbearable at times, especially when I've read the original work before.
I think that's why I really don't like fanfic that strays from the original personality of the character. But sometimes, I do think there are fanfic writers out there that twist the personalities in a nice writing style that I tend to like their twist and their perspective. But I do agree with you though, liking the original work too much and reading its fanfic isn't just the same.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Eclecticmama wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 19:22 I have read both good and bad fanfiction. As far as calling it a genre of its own, I would not. You cannot publish a fanfiction unless you get the rights from whoever owns the characters you are writing about. Most authors I know of are pretty protective of their characters, since they spend so much time with them, creating them and writing out their lives. So if it cannot be legally published and sold, can it be called a legitimate genre? Probably not. It is more used as a way to practice writing, like writing prompts.
Yes I do agree about the characters. Basically to authors they are their children who they molded for years. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Hmm, I didn't see it as a way to practice writing before; but thinking about it, I think it would be good. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

To me, fanfiction is divided into three different subgenres.
Firstly, it is a fan-written sequels of the original works (anime, books, games, movies, TV-shows, ets). People simply do not want to part with their favorite characters and (if it is fantasy or sci-fi) worlds. So, they write fanfiction.
In the same subgenre, you can also include "correctional" fan fiction. If someone's favorite character died, or anime \ book \ movie \ etc. had a bad ending, this someone can write fan fiction and cheer yourself up. Such fanfics are often well written and in no way inferior to real books.
Secondly, it is erotic\romance fanfics. As a rule, these fan fics are just fluent records of fan-girls’ erotic fantasies. It is very boring to read these records, and besides, you involuntarily find yourself in the role of a voyeurist. It is like looking into someone else’s head, and seeing the very private fantasies of the owner of this head.
In addition, erotic\romance fan fiction usually very bad written. Also, this subgenre is simply poisoned with Mary Sue characters.
Thirdly, it is fan-made humor stories and parodies of the original works. This often turns out to be very funny reading.
So, fanfiction is 1/3 very boring and 2/3 interesting reading for me.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I do love fanfiction most especially when it is well-written. It is a good genre because it answers most questions that we are seeking answers for. I consider it over and over when am craving for something specific.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I used to write fanfiction and I think that it very much helped develop my writing skills. It was a good way to get writing practice my senior year of high school that then prepared me to write standard teen fiction as an adult. Yes, most fanfics are written by teenagers so they have a sense of immaturity. I would disagree that all of them are poorly written, though. Not all of them are incredibly erotic (mine weren't) and sexual content shouldn't be a disqualification of quality. Adult romance novels have a tendency to be incredibly sexual too.
I think it can be done very well and can make for interesting literature, even if it's consumed by mostly teenagers.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I do not particularly mind fanfiction, especially when it is well written, but I do not think it should be published unless the characters and plot are distinctly different. Many plot points can be expanded on by fanfiction, and it is a fun creative outlet.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Indeed fan fiction is not always good. But I have found some which are better than the original storyline itself and scripts. Their quality is also amazing.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”